HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

walking - how much? walking - how much?

Unread 06-18-2004, 09:23 AM
walking - how much?

I had my 2 weeks post-op visit a few days ago and asked the doc about walking on a treadmill at the gym. He said okay - no incline. By the way, he said NO to the elliptical machine - legs go to far apart. But I forgot to ask him how far or how much I can walk, and don't want to call back to ask.

I used to jog at least a mile each day. So I really want to walk several miles, but I don't want to do ANYTHING to jeopardize my recovery. Any body know how much walking is too much? I've got to say that the last few days I've only walked about 1/4 mile and it was at a snail's pace (looked like Tim Conway when he's the old man character). But I could push myself to go further if I didn't thing I was hurting any of the repair work.

Any ideas?
Unread 06-18-2004, 09:34 AM
walking - how much?

I gage myself by my swelly belly..I don't get much of one but after I started walking more if my belly swelled that night I would set my pace to that and no more until I could do it comfortably without it affecting me then increase my walking a little at a time when ever I increase I wait till the evening to see how I did if ok a little further the next day. Listen to your body and you should be ok. By the way I still walk slowly I don't want to pull anything. I will get back into my regular routine slowly starting at the 3 month mark..right now we are burning calories just by healing
Unread 06-18-2004, 09:38 AM
walking - how much?

Hi Ruth,

Don't be afraid of walking. Walk as much as you want to without incline and listen to your body. You'll know when to stop. I was walking 2 miles a day at 3 weeks post op and it definitely helped my recovery. It brings oxygen and blood to the healing tissues and helps alot with fatigue. Go for it!

Cheers
Gale
Unread 06-18-2004, 09:40 AM
walking - how much?

The 4-6 wk recovery period is serious. They mean that you should wait at least 4 weeks before going back to your normal routine. I would not push it either. Walk slow and when you begin to tire, or have to 'hold yourself', you should stop.
Unread 06-18-2004, 12:53 PM
walking - how much?

Hi,

I was walking from the beginning, pretty much. At a week post op I began walking 1 km (the loop around my road). I did so very slowly the first 2-3 days, and then picked up a little speed. By two weeks I could do it at a fairly normal (for me) speed. And at a little over 2 weeks I started adding on distance. I think I could do 2 km then. (Just over 1 mile) Now, at 7 weeks, I do a hike involving some hills that takes me about 1 1/4 hours at a good pace. My doctor told me I could take on more rigorous hikes after 8 weeks, and even start jogging (haven't done this in years).

Walking is one of the things we have the green light to do, but we do have to listen to our bodies. I too got swelly belly if I pushed it a little too much. Then I would hold off a day or two and start again.

Best wishes,

Judy
Unread 06-18-2004, 03:38 PM
walking - how much?

At 10 days post op I was on the treadmill twice aday for 50 minutes each time!! My dr said a slight incline was fine and then gradually work back up. I am now 7 weeks and feel fabulous!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.