HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Closed Thread
Unread 03-24-2002, 05:16 PM
Seroma

Glad to see information on seroma. I developed one -- it's 12 cm deep and 5x6 cm wide. The doctor packed it and it drains. And drains. I change the bandage 4-6 times a day. A home health nurse comes 3x/week to repack it.

My question: What caused your seromas?

Rain2Fall
Unread 03-25-2002, 10:12 AM
Seroma

(((Rain))) I'm so sorry you're having to deal with complications. Sending healing s your way.

Hopefully, someone will reply with their own experience, soon.

Unread 04-27-2002, 11:07 AM
Seroma

Rain2Fall, I had a Seroma as well. Mine is about 2 inches wide and about an inch deep.

My Dr said it is 'just something that happens' in about 50% of women who have abdominal hysterectomies. His explanation was that the outside of my incision healed so well that the inside could not drain (I had no drainage until after the seroma). The fluid inside has to go somewhere and if your body doesn't absorb it then the incision bursts open.

He is having me clean two to three times a day with peroxide and qtips. He also told me that NOTHING I did caused this. Made me feel much better about the whole thing!

My incision has been open about one week now and drainage is getting slower. Go back to Dr in two days and hope for good news.

Hang in there!
Unread 04-28-2002, 07:48 PM
Everything you wanted to know about SEROMAS

Hi...I found this information on SEROMA...it explains things very well...you can also see my other post regarding this:

What is a seroma? A seroma is defined as a sterile accumulation of serum in a circumscribed location in the tissue. The difference between a seroma and an abscess is that an abscess involves the presence of white blood cells, bacteria, and the breakdown products of both. In other words, an abscess is defined as an infection. A seroma, on the other hand, is just fluid, serum that has accumulated in a dead space in the tissue. It is the result of tissue insult and the product of tissue inflammation and the body's defense mechanisms.

OK, that's fine, now what do I do about it? Before we discuss how to treat it, let's try to find out why it happened in the first place. First be assured that it is a perfectly normal response. The body is simply reacting to the presence of a dead space within tissue that previously was firmly attached to something. When we remove a large mass, or create a defect , we damage the very small vessels that previously ran from the underlying tissue (i.e., muscle, connective tissue) to the overlying tissue (i.e., skin, muscle). Although these vessels do not cause significant blood loss, they do allow escape of serum into the area. There is also the resulting tissue damage that occurs regardless of how carefully we dissect. This tissue damage results in cellular death. The body's reaction is an inflammatory one. As a result of the inflammation, cell death, and increased vascular permeability, fluid will accumulate in the newly created space. This process will generally resolve over time if there is some form of natural drainage, if there is not continued irritation to the area, if circulation to the area is sufficient, and if the person is in good health.

Our first inclination is to drain it. Remove that fluid and everything will be just fine. Unfortunately, once the fluid is gone, the dead space is recreated, and the body simply fills it up again. The body hates dead space, and it will always try to fill it up. Eventually, this will be done with fibrotic tissue, but that takes time. Over time, fibrotic tissue will eventually fill all the space and the body will reabsorb the fluid on its own.

Can we do anything to speed this natural healing? Increasing the circulation to a healing area will often help to reduce the swelling. The fluid will be reabsorbed into the blood stream faster, and the increased blood flow will bring oxygen and nutrients to the newly forming tissue. Heat is an excellent way to increase circulation to an area. Hot packing a seroma is a simple, inexpensive, and very effective way to medically manage a seroma. Applying a moist, very warm towel, or gauze pack to a swelling for 10-15 minutes several times daily will often be the only treatment needed to resolve the swelling. In some cases, the judicious use of anti-inflammatory medication will also help to reduce the amount of fluid that accumulates. However, keep in mind that some anti-inflammatory medications (i.e., glucocorticoid) can retard healing if used in high doses for extended periods of time.

There will be cases when conservative medical management may not be the best option. Sometimes draining the seroma may be your only choice. If this is the case, keep several things in mind. First, a seroma is a sterile condition. However, if you stick a needle into it and introduce some bacteria, it is an ideal media for bacterial growth. What started out as a sterile accumulation of fluid will now become a raging abscess. If care is taken to use strict aseptic technique, draining can be done without introducing bacteria. However, you still will have the problem of reaccumulation of fluid. This may require repeated draining, and each time the risk of contaminating the seroma exists. A better way to deal with a seroma that does not appear to be resolving on its own, is to create a permanent drain and treat prophylactically with antibitotics to prevent infection. A permanent drain will allow the fluid to continuously escape until the body can complete the healing process on its own. A drain can be an artificial implanted device such as a piece of rubber tubing (Penrose drain), or it can be as simple as creating an opening at the lowest edge of the seroma, and keeping this open and clean to allow continued drainage.

Hope the information helps. I think its pretty thorough.

Karen
Unread 05-17-2002, 11:28 AM
Thank you so much Karen

for the really thorough explanation of it - I am 10 days post op and had never heard of one, if I do fall in the 50% of women who get one now I'll not be as frightened or stressed out!

Thanks so much!
Unread 05-17-2002, 02:24 PM
reason

as to why some women get seroma's my doctor told me I developed one due to my obesity.. I am 70 lbs overweight and mine is at the very base of my verticle incision. I hate this thing with a passion I go to the doctors every week and he squeezes all of the fluid out of me.. I wash the area in the shower now only 2times a day, the first week I was in the shower 5 times a day. second week I was in 3 times a day... this is my third week. doc told me to expect to come in every week for another 3 weeks.. totalling 6 weeks.. LORD I HOPE and PRAY that it is healed by then.
the pain is getting to me and emotionally it drains me... yeah poor choice of words I guess but honestly I HATE this thing... if it weren't for this I'd feel sooo good.
anyone else know if wearing a panty girdle is good or bad?? my doc told me I could wear any kind I wanted.... it feels good on but am wondering if it impedes the healing of seroma...or helps it... don't know...
kara
Unread 01-02-2005, 11:13 PM
bringin' back an oldie, but goodie!

Was doing a little search for my sis................found this to be quite informative, to say the least!
Unread 01-03-2005, 07:05 AM
Re: reason

Quote:
Originally posted by Karah
as to why some women get seroma's my doctor told me I developed one due to my obesity.. I am 70 lbs overweight and mine is at the very base of my verticle incision. kara

Your doc is wrong, it has nothing to do with your weight...plenty of skinny people get them too.
Unread 01-03-2005, 07:26 AM
Seroma

Is it true that several of you guys (or you gals, rather) developed these seromas YEARS after your surgery dates (surgeries in 2002 and seromas now)?
Unread 01-03-2005, 07:49 AM
Seroma

Karen...Thank you so much for all the information. I had posted this seroma problem before and didn't get many responses. I was suspicious that my seroma might have been caused by the lidocaine catheters inserted for pain management, those sites always hurt. When they took out the catheters it was a relief. My Dr dismissed this. My incision was opened to drain the seromas at 1 1/2 weeks. The incision healed back up in about another week and had crusties on my incision. Just kept cleaning with peroxide. Also used a heating pad several times a day with relief. Very informative to hear that time will help. I had wondered if these pockets kept refilling. Answered so many of my questions, again Thanks!
Closed Thread

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.