Pain relief induced halucinations | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain relief induced halucinations Pain relief induced halucinations

Unread 05-14-2005, 11:56 PM
Pain relief induced halucinations

I'm getting a bit worried about the side effects from the Morphine they will give me after the operation.

I had my Gall Bladder removed about 10 years ago and the side effects were hideous. A vase of flowers were talking to me all night, consequently i got no sleep. That time I only had one injection but this time I will be on a pump.

I will be mentioning it at my pre-op but I just wondered if anyone else had the same problem of if I was just very sensitive.

Thanks

choccie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2005, 02:40 AM

msbutton,
Hi!
Let it be known how you react to morphine and that you do not want it, there are other things they can use in the pump. It should be no problem.
Morphine did not give me the talking flowers, but it did make my heart race and give me a tightening in the chest when I used it previously. I requested they not use it--I am not sure what was used in the pump instead, but it worked. I also got shots of Toredal along w/the pump meds...My pain level was always under control.
Good luck to you!
Unread 05-15-2005, 06:15 AM

Hi, I did have reactions to morphine too, and it was removed. Shots of phenegran controlled the nausea and the other side effects wore off fairly quickly ( although, I never had flowers talking to me ).

It is definately something that you want to discuss with your dr ahead of time. He/she can arrange alternate pain relief for you. Hopefully something that you tolerate well

Best wishes.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2005, 07:53 AM

Choccie,

If you are sure the morphine caused your hallucination and you don't want to stay up all night listening to vases talk (I myself would probably be bored to tears listening to one) then when you check in at the hospital, tell them you have an allergy to morphine.

They will probably ask what type of reaction you have. Tell them that it makes you hallucinate. They will list it as an allergy. And the doctors will prescribe other pain meds.

But be warned. Some people are very sensitive to all narcotics. Also, many anti-emetics (for nausea) can make people loco for awhile. So if you need meds to prevent this, ask for kytril. Good stuff. Takes care of patient's upset tummies and reduces the risk of being kept awake all night by those visitors that us nurses can't see to remind them that visiting hours are OVER.

I work in a unit that doesn't allow flowers or plants so I didn't know that they have a tendency to ramble on all night. Thanks for enlightening me.

Dee
Unread 05-15-2005, 08:50 AM

I had a similar reaction to demerol and refused a shot of it when it was brought in.

They then called the doc for an alternate drug, you just need to speak up.
Talking flowers seems kind of sweet I had mice on the floor.
Unread 05-15-2005, 05:46 PM

And I had hallucinations once when I was taking Tylenol w/ Codeine. I've never tried codeine again. Everyone who has answered is absolutely right that there are "other meds" and you can certainly request "no morphine". Good luck!
Unread 05-15-2005, 11:20 PM

My family said I was trying to share my "dinner" with them,ice chips......lol.......and I was talking about a donkey that was "showing".....like at a dog show......but it wasn't a dog,it was a donkey.....lol.......and my friend told her kids to feed the parrot,while on the phone with them.They don't have a bird.I was on Morphine,along with toredol,which is wonderful.I guess it's normal to be goofy,JUST ask them,they know,and will help you out......
Unread 05-16-2005, 06:54 AM

I started out on morphine in an epidural and had serious itching. They switched me to Toredal, and I stopped itching, but I think it actually controlled the pain better, for me anyway. If I have to have surgery again, I am going straight for the Toredal, and it is non-narcotic.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register