OUCH! Pelvic pain! - Fibroids? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

OUCH!  Pelvic pain! - Fibroids? OUCH! Pelvic pain! - Fibroids?

Unread 03-09-2006, 08:27 PM
OUCH! Pelvic pain! - Fibroids?

I had a CT scan and it was reported that I had a mildly enlarged uterus and a left ovarian cyst (appears simple) 3 x 1.8 cm. The mild enlargement of uterus is 5.5 cm in AP diameter and 7-8 cm in transverse diameter. From my research, that is NOT very enlarged, if at all. However, I have EXTREME pelvic pain. Like there is a boulder in my bladder and it's going to burst any minute. Could this be from fibroids? From what I read on these boards, no one with these fibroids, even huge ones, seems to say they had any pain or discomfort! What else could this be? I have a pelvic ultrasound scheduled for Wednesday but I seriously don't know if I can hold out until then!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2006, 11:38 PM

Okay, I was just going to suggest getting in to your gyn and see what he/she says, but I see that you're having an ultrasound. That's good. In the meantime, if the pain is unbearable, talk to your doctor sooner than Wednesday. Maybe he/she can give you something for it.

My gyn. problems were also first found on a CT-scan that I had before I went for surgery for breast cancer. My gynecologist told me that CT-scans are, in her words, "notoriously BAD at diagnosing gynecological problems." The ultrasound gives a much clearer view of what's going on in there.

CD
Unread 03-10-2006, 12:10 AM
Thanks, CD!

Actually after doing more research on the web, it seems fibroids CAN be quite painful. They are so common, that many women don't have pain and don't even know they have them .. but of those with symptoms, the pain can be quite debilitating. I think that's me. Oh well, the test will show. I might call the doctor before the ultrasound and ask for pain meds though ... I wish she could push the test date up! I can't believe there are THAT many people getting ultrasounds!

Thanks again so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2006, 01:51 AM

YES it is painful
and as they grow so does the pain, both from the cyst and from the fibroids.
I refused to listen to doctor nbr 1 in June last year because he was so rough. I should be operated on immediately and be tightened up as well (2 children, normal deliveries, no anesthetics), said he.
Tried everything to keep the bleeding under control and succeeded little. Six months later things got much worse. Doctor nbr 2 (whom I listened to) scheduled surgery for DEC 22 but then I had to wait for the approval from the Private Health Insurance - so by the time I had my TAH the uterus was 12x9x7cm (400g). Ovaries and cervix are also gone.
I was 6 months older, 6 months weaker and 6 months poorer, since I couldn´t work properly during that time. (I wish I could say 6 months wiser too).
A week before surgery I had a progestin shot just to stop the bleeding!
Today was an awful day (I did not overdo it, but I am exhausted from the lack of sleep and everything hurts, inside and out). Nevertheless, I KNOW it was the right thing to do in my case and I regret having postponed my life for that length of time.
I am a widower, so no DH available – teenage son does not provide any help nor comfort and my daughter is abroad – traveled same day my surgery was due!!!!!!!!!
Unread 03-10-2006, 02:03 PM

I had severe pain for months with my fibroids. I couldn't walk and was in tears often. I have a herniated disc in my lower back and thought it had to do with that and nothing pelvic. My pain doc never said anything even though my chart said pelvic pain. If he had said to check out pelvic pain with my PCP I wouldn't have suffered so much.

An ultrasound is a good start. I had one gyn try to take the wait and see approach. I didn't want to wait. I was so tired of the pain. I switched gyn's and it was the best thing I could have done.

Good luck! My prayers are with you!
Unread 03-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Reply to All

Ok, this is TOO WEIRD. This morning I woke up after a fitful night's sleep with this horrible pressure and pain, and I had an attack of diarrhea, and THE PAIN WENT AWAY. It's something with my diverticulosis or something! My colon must have been full and pressing on my uterus or bladder or something!

I have never in my life had such problems as I do now. I have thyroid problems (Graves), diverticulosis, ovarian cyst, and enlarged uterus. Graves started in September 2004, and all the rest started this past month or so. I can't tell which thing is causing which symptom!

I'm still not right, obviously, I don't feel normal, but that horrible incredible intense pain is now gone.
Unread 03-10-2006, 09:07 PM

I'm so sorry you are feeling bad! I went through terrible pain as well. I started with leg pain about a year ago and I thought it was because I spend a great deal of time in the car each day. The week before Thanksgiving last fall I woke up one morning and thought I had slept wrong. I had pain in my hip that would radiate around to my front down my leg and then after two days of progressively getting worse settled in my lower left pelvic region. I too had a CT at the emergency room which revealed a "necritizing" fibroid about 5cm long. I got a ruler out when I got home because I too could not believe something that small could cause such excruciating pain. But it can!After all was said and done I actually had adeno, but focalized into two growths(the ultrasound revealed another one). I also had a lot of pressure on my bowel and bladder. When the episode was over after about 5 days I felt better and even considered not having the hysterectomy because I felt good for awhile, but the pain came back and I decided that I couldn't live my life from episode to episode.Talk to your doctor about what happened and have that ultrasound done just to make sure you are alright. I really hope that you feel better.
Heather
Unread 03-12-2006, 10:11 PM

I am a little confused. During my pap smear the dr told me I was prolapsed, he removed a polyp from the cervix, and he said my uterus was enlarged and probably a fibroid. After the the internal ultrasounds he declared I did not have bladder cancer, the bladder was in good shape. The polyp was apparently benign and I had something in uterus and cysts on ovaries. Everyone seems so sure that they have fibroids from tests, why is not my doctor? I realize the chances are higher for cancer for me because my of my mothers cancer death. He said I could go to the hospital and have tissue samples taken or since I am prolapsed and have damage from difficult deliveries and miscarriages I could get hyst. If it were fibroid would he not know for sure since everyone else seems to have a definitive diagnosis?
Unread 03-12-2006, 11:40 PM

Well, I did ask the doctor about it prior to my surgery - I wanted to know exatly the extent of the damage and what he intended to do about it - his answer was:
  Quote:
I will only be able to tell when I SEE exatly how it looks like - and only then will I decide what to take and what to leave.
As it turned out and I can clearly see that in the Pathology Report, my entire system became hospital waist.
It was then and only then that the final diagnosis bacame possible:
Adenomyosis, Endometriosis, Chronic Cervicitis, Salpingitis with Vascular Congestion and Cysts on both ovaries - and the uterus was 400g - and prolapsed pressing the bladder and bowels down, by the way.
"Myomas" or Fibroids - is obviously a general denomination for what can be seen on the ultra-sound.

I know it feels weird not knowing anything for sure beforehand - but that is just what life is about, isn't it?
big hug

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register