Hysterectomy 5/21: Freaking out! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy 5/21: Freaking out! Hysterectomy 5/21: Freaking out!

Unread 05-20-2014, 07:19 AM
Hysterectomy 5/21: Freaking out!

My surgery is tomorrow. Last week my internist decided to do an EKG and chest X-ray before surgery. My EKG came back abnormal. They managed to get me scheduled w/ cardiologist on Monday. As I'm checking out, the surgeon's office called and said we may postpone my surgery a week which would mess everything up. I asked why she wanted to postpone and it was because of the abnormal EKG. I told her I was leaving the cardiologist with medical clearance. I even took the form they gave me to the surgeon's office. So as far as I know, surgery will be tomorrow. I already feel like I've been on a roller coaster since last week. I have severe PTSD and had flashbacks and dissociated when cardiologist touched my breast yesterday. My surgery is laparoscopic but I have to deliver my organs through my vagina and they may have to cut to get them out. I feel so freakin' crazed right now. I know I have things left to do to prepare but they are minor. I have no idea how I am going to get through tomorrow and the pain afterwards because of the PTSD. I have a new prescription for Valium which I take usually and that doc increased it to knock the edge off. I feel like taking the whole bottle. I am already in severe pain, feels like PMS but I have been (early) postmenopausal for 2 years. Now I'm bleeding with huge clots and very heavy bleeding. Is it normal to feel so much panic and anxiety prior to surgery and what may happen after surgery? I am scared to death of the after more than I am of the surgery I think. The surgery scares me, the after terrifies me. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2014, 07:47 AM
Hysterectomy 5/21: Freaking out!

Hi my surgery is tomorrow supra cervical lap,
I'm freaking out too. I guess it's not knowing how your going to feel afterward. I am the type of person who is always taking care of my loved ones and I'm not used to having to be the one that needs the help. I wish you luck tomorrow. I'm sure we will both be fine. God bless
Unread 05-20-2014, 10:36 AM
Re: Hysterectomy 5/21: Freaking out!

My surgery is tomorrow too. While this is my first abdominal surgery, it's my 7th surgery overall (2 were spinal fusions). It is absolutely normal to be freaking out. I felt like climbing the walls before my 2nd back surgery 11 months ago. And I'm pretty jittery today. It's scary knowing the pain is coming and not knowing how you'll feel after and if you've made the right choice. Uncertainty causes stress.

Talk to your doctor about how you're feeling right now. He may be able to reassure you and calm you down, or maybe give you something stronger than valium. Good luck tomorrow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2014, 11:37 AM

I'm not a medical expert and I don't have PTSD, so I can only give you my experience. I'm 49 years old, I had a da vinci hysterectomy (robotic). I had well over 10 fibroids ranging from a golf ball size ot an orange, my uterus was 3X's it's normal size. I got to keep 1 ovary. Unlike you, I'm not a worrier and I manage stress well, I guess too much **** has happened to me for much to phase me anymore, so I tend to take life with a shrug-of-a-shoulder approach. Saying that, I think my carefree attitude and trust in my awesome female doctor was the impetus to the easiest surgery I've ever had. This was a breeze for me. Immediately after the surgery, my sister was in the room when I woke up and I said, "I'm ready to run a marathon!" Mind you, I was on some good drugs from the surgery but even when they wore off I didn't have any pain. I had more discomfort from the gas they pumped in my belly. I looked pregnant but that went away in about a week, every day it got better. I want to assuage your worries but only you can do that for yourself. I have no idea who you are and how old you are and your life experiences. Be kind yourself, allow yourself to heal, enjoy eating whatever you feel like while you heal and hopefully you will have a breeze of a surgery too. Peace to your mind sister!
Unread 05-20-2014, 12:40 PM

I wish all of you the very best with your surgeries tomorrow.

I think many of us have experienced the panic you're experiencing prior to surgery. There is a lot of emotion and fear of the unknown tied up in a hysterectomy, but I can tell you, less than a week into recovery, I am 100% glad I had the surgery. I had no idea how bad I felt prior to surgery until I realized the post-surgical discomfort was a piece of cake comparatively. The anticipation was absolutely the worst part. I've experienced some pain, but it's been manageable. I'm struggling to get the constipation under control, but that's nothing compared to the stomach issues I had prior to surgery. I'm definitely exhausted, but after being severely anemic for months, that's to be expected and now I know it will get better. Most of all, the crushing anxiety I had, constantly worrying about what was wrong with me, has lifted and I can look forward to a new life.

Best wishes and you'll be in my thoughts!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register