bad anxiety - 4 months out | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

bad anxiety - 4 months out bad anxiety - 4 months out

Unread 05-22-2005, 06:40 AM
bad anxiety - 4 months out

I've been reading a bit here about ladies having anxiety after their hysters.
Well I've been having anxiety slightly since the surgery but nothing I couldn't handle.
But in the last few weeks it's gotten really bad, I'm waking up early in the morning and feel this surge of panic wash over me, it gets a bit better as the day goes on but isn't going away completely.
There doesn't seem to be any apparent cause for it as physically I've healed well and had no set backs in that respect.
I was on estradiol 1 mg daily, but am useless at remembering to take pills, so decided to try the pellet inserted under the skin instead.
Could it be something to do with this....any other ladies had this type of experience? I'm worried it's too much estrogen or not enough. But I really want to feel better especially for my family.
It feels like sometimes something is swirling round in my head and I can't think straight and my stomach gets in knots.
We don't have much back up here in the uk re HRT, I saw my gyn at 6 weeks check up and that's it back to my own GP, who doesn't seem to clued up about HRT. I would really like to talk to someone with knowledge of this, but don't know where to look.
Can anyone help??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2005, 08:37 AM

Hi conyers,

I had this kind of experience. I started realizing I wasn't being able to think or make decisions. I would become so agitated inside and often felt I couldn't handle what was happening around me. I was also having a terrible time remembering things. I kept my ovaries so wasn't taking any hormones for a while. I read a post on here, similar to yours and realized it was describing me!
I have started taking a bio identical compound of estrogen and progesterone. I also was thinking mostly of my family. I needed to feel better and be able to function for them. I now see it was just as important to seek out answers for myself.
It can take some experimenting to find just the right combinations and amounts for you. I'm sorry to hear it's so hard in the UK. Is it possible for you to change drs so you can find one who knows more about HRT?
There are some good articles in the Hormone Articles
If you haven't read up on your options it might help you so you could be more knowledgeable when you talk to your dr.
One of the very good ones is Too Much Estrogen,Too Little
I'm doing better now. I hope you can find your answers soon. Don't give up, sometimes it takes some time to get the hormones just right.

's, Rita
Unread 05-22-2005, 09:19 AM

Thanks for your reply Preciouspearl, and I'm very pleased to hear you got sorted, I will see my GP and ask if there is anyone in our area that may be able to help with this HRT business.
It helps to know you're not the only one feeling so weird.
Do you think progesterone would help....only I was told at the castle that I didn't need it as I had no womb.
Had SAH/BSO, kept cervix only.
How long did it take you to feel better?
I'm battling on with this and not telling anyone, as I feel people expect you to be better now after the surgery, but I don't think it's as simple as that, i've had surgery before, 3 hr surgery for melanoma, plus 2 C-sections and never felt like this.
Once again thanks for your advice.
Conyers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2005, 09:30 AM

Hello! I think that anxiety is common with any major surgery. Why don't you call your doctor to ask for some medication?
Unread 05-22-2005, 09:33 AM

Thank you for your advice frenchrunner, I will go to my docs and talk to him.
Do you know what medication is good for this type of anxiety??
COnyers
Unread 05-22-2005, 09:52 AM

Conyers,
I had to comment about the progesterone. A lot of drs don't prescribe progesterone. Look at this article to help you sort that out Progesterone:do I need it?
There are a lot of good reasons to have it. If you still had your ovaries they would be producing it for you.
I think I began to feel better right away. The symptoms weren't completely gone immediately, but I could tell that emotionally I was becoming stronger and more able to cope. It is getting better still. I do agree, that this surgery is major and deals us a blow emotionally. There are some emotional affects that come with it and just take time. As our bodies heal so does our fragileness.
I'm sad for you that you feel you can't share this battle with others who care for you. It's perfectly normal for you to be dealing with this still. Please don't be so hard on yourself. From what I have read here and understand from my own experience this surgery is not like any that you have had before. This time you had organs removed and ones that affect your hormonal balance besides. It is a much longer and more difficult recovery.
Please give yourself a break. It might help if you could share what you are going through.

's, Rita
Unread 05-22-2005, 09:55 AM

There are many medications, including anti-depressants, that block anxiety. There is also a type of breathing like one does in yoga. I recommend that, certainly, when you are able.
Unread 05-22-2005, 10:06 AM

Hi Conyers!

There is an article I wrote in our Post-Op Hints section that I think would be very helpful:

Treatment of Post-Op Anxiety...

Much of the article was based on my own challenges with this. Please see your doctor soon and tell him/her what you are experiencing. There is help available, so there is no need for you to continue to have to suffer.

s
Unread 05-22-2005, 04:13 PM

Hi Conyers,

I am in the UK as well (deepest darkest Shropshire!) recovered really well after my hyst last July, and suddenly started with exactly the same symptoms as you late in November. I kept my ovaries and they *seem* to be working - so I couldn't figure why the horrendous symptoms. It started all at once with me, one day. The Doc reckoned it wasn't really hormonally related- though they could figure in there somewhere (a bit vague on that point, I think she doens't actually KNOW!). For her the real cause is simple, it's similar to post traumatic stress. I had had a really terrible year, and was having to cope with all sorts of stuff for so long, that when I was finally better, my house move and job and family and all the other things *sorted*, my psyche could finally let go mentally and allow all that stuff inside to come out. Even if it was a load of old wallop- that cause worked for me because I was really really freaking out knowing why I had become a complete fruit cake. I had panic attacks in the supermarket, visits to my favourite great aunt felt like Interrogation sessions, and some days I couldn't figure out what heck was going on if more than one person was talking, it sounded just like gibberish. I am taking Cipralex (Lexapro) now, an SSRI drug which alters the seratonin levels in your brain and feel MUCH better. Not perfect, but I can deal with things.

If it IS hormonal, I will find out when we tail off the Cipralex in the summer. Hopefully you will begin to find a solution for your own problems soon - I do hope so.

BTW my Doc said it is quite usual to feel worse in the mornings and feel almost human by the evening. That is the Norm with these kind of symptoms.

Julie
Unread 05-23-2005, 11:04 AM

Thank you so much for your replies to my post ladies.
I have been to the docs today, but my usual GP was not in and I saw a lady GP who I have never visited before.
Unfortunately she wasn't very sympathetic and said that the anxiety I'm feeling is not hormone related, and as I have suffered with anxiety several years ago, she said it would be related to that. She told me to buy relaxation tapes and do deep breathing.
If only if was that simple!
She did give me 14 days supply of Zopiclone to help with sleeping as I have been waking early, but wouldn't give me anything else.
So I'll see how I get on with that.
I notice you can buy Lexapro on-line from the US so maybe I will try that, I know it will be expensive but what the heck, I sure do need something to help.
It seems like the type of drug that treats both anxiety and depression and if it's working for you snoringunicorn, it might be worth a try.
You would think a lady doc would be more understanding.
I won't be seeing her again!!
Take care all and I'll keep you posted.
Conyers

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register