I admit, I am scared, I read and I'm still petrified!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I  admit, I am scared, I read and I'm still petrified!! I admit, I am scared, I read and I'm still petrified!!

Unread 09-16-2002, 06:15 PM
I admit, I am scared, I read and I'm still petrified!!

I havem bought the book hyster sisters, I have read all the posts, I have asked pretty good questions, but I will be honest, this entire thing still scares me. I had girls ngiht out tonight with my sister ( and our two daughters (6&7)), and after 3 drinks, I realized how afaid I am! My pain isn't that bad (fibroids) and uterine cancer is high per my family. I'm beginning to dirop off the deep end--please help--am I crazy?? I am so scared--reading everyones experiences should help but some just make me so much more afraid!!! HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2002, 06:39 PM

First of all, it is very natural to be scared!!! I can tell you, before my surgery, I imagined everything possible that could go wrong. I can tell you that the 6 weeks of waiting for my surgery were probably the longest 6 weeks of my life. I am now almost 2 years post op, and have honestly never regreted having the surgery for even 1 second!!! I feel great, have energy I haven't had for many years (and I am 51 years old). Yes, there is some discomfort after surgery, but the pain meds are wonderful. Yes, it is hard to "behave and not overdo" for 6 weeks, but the end result is so worth it. Please read all that you can so you can be well-informed about your procedure. There are some stories here that are a bit scary, but remember, those are generally the exception and most of us do just great.

Hang in there!!!
Unread 09-16-2002, 06:45 PM
You are normal

Being afraid of the unknown is normal. I dont think anyone is trying to scare you about the surgery but I think some (like me) try not to sugar coat it also.
It is a serious surgery. Not as serious as some. The recovery is where you need to take it serious.
You have to give your body time and rest- then rest again- then rest more...lol
I was afraid also but after talking to people on this website, my DR and researching it I was more comfortable with my decission.
Having surgery is totally up to you but I will say I lived with the pain of endo so long that I dont regret it and love not dealing with Ms Monthly...lol
I think it would calm you down if you wrote down all of your questions down and talked to your Dr.
If I may ask- exactly what are you scared of? The surgery it self, recovery, how you will feel afterwards, all the above?
I will say again- you are normal and NOT crazy. If you are I guess all the hystersisiters are...lol I am sure everyone (including me) had some fears.
If you need to email me feel free-

Lexus02us@yahoo.com

Good Luck- runabout (Lynne)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2002, 06:54 PM

jsturn is right...it's very natural to be scared. I think we all are. I was petrified, and finally had to ask the doctor to prescribe something to help me sleep the last two weeks before my surgery (she gave me some xanax...I only took a little of it, but it helped me). I imagined all the worst outcomes, including dying! I know it doesn't appeal to everyone, but I finally started doing some visualizations; I would lay with my eyes closed and just kept repeating to myself that "I am comfortable at all times", and "I wake up at ease, comfortable, and feeling good," while at the same time visualizing myself feeling that way. It really did help me a little bit before surgery, and I did wake up from surgery feeling good (I had previously had a bad experience waking up from surgery, so I was very pleased to wake up feeling good.) The waiting for surgery is definitely the worst part. Verbalizing your fear is a good thing; while people can't really help you, it's a comfort to have someone listen and acknowledge it. Try to not let the scary stories frighten you. There are lots of good recovery stories. My recovery, while it feels long, has been uneventful and I'm looking forward to a future with no more tampons! Hang in there.
Unread 09-16-2002, 09:25 PM
Scared

I have moments of near panic. TAH/BSO on 9/24. I know the surgery is the right thing to do but the idea of hospitals, anesthesia, pain? Yikes! I was having trouble sleeping due to discomfort from the fibroids- my doctor prescribed AMBIEN for my last 2 weeks- non habit forming, doesn't leave you groggy or fuzzy in the morning and I don't wake with the awful nightsweats!! Tried to "do without" last night - not worth the trouble.
Wish you the best. Keep checking in here.THIS is habit forming!!But oh so helpful and eassuring!!
Unread 09-16-2002, 09:26 PM
Scared

I have moments of near panic. TAH/BSO on 9/24. I know the surgery is the right thing to do but the idea of hospitals, anesthesia, pain? Yikes! I was having trouble sleeping due to discomfort from the fibroids- my doctor prescribed AMBIEN for my last 2 weeks- non habit forming, doesn't leave you groggy or fuzzy in the morning and I don't wake with the awful nightsweats!! Tried to "do without" last night - not worth the trouble.
Wish you the best. Keep checking in here.THIS is habit forming!!But oh so helpful and reassuring!!
Unread 09-16-2002, 10:01 PM

I hear ya!!! The doctor was doing an endo biopsy on me the other day telling me step by step what she was doing and I'm like saying to her, " can't we talk about the weather?" I didn't want to know every little detail...

I know in my heart that knowledge is everything. And after reading so much there should be no surprises in recovery. But sometimes I feel if the doctor just would tell me what had to be done and I went in totally unaware, I'd be so much less stressed out!

Ignorance is bliss...but we can't afford ignorance this time. And what's hard is that the more we learn, the more the responsibility. We own our decisions and choices and options. We own our recovery. This surgery is different from the beginning. It's elective in most cases. We have to choose the doctor, the procedure, having second options, what body parts will remain, the anesthesia , it's overwhelming. And...we are so afraid that we will make the wrong decision!

You're not crazy... most of us feel scared. Hopefully, it will all come together and right before surgery you might even find some calmness. Wouln't that be nice?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register