catheter worries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

catheter worries catheter worries

Unread 03-12-2004, 04:12 AM
catheter worries

Its not being catheterised itself that worries me,I am more worried about after it has been removed.
I was catheterised after my first baby.It had been a normal delivery just long and I was very bruised and swollen.The doctor became concerned shortly after the delivery with the speed (or lack of it)that my uterus was coming down in size.Apparently you bleed more if this happens.Turns out I had a full bladder that was preventing the uterus doing what it should.After a residual catheterisation (where the bladder was emptied and the catheter immediately removed)I thought that was the end of the problem.However as the evening progressed I became more and more uncomfortable as I could not pass urine.Tried all the usual stuff,thinking of water,turning the taps on,sitting in a warm bath etc,to no avail.Had another residual catheter passed and 1000mls had been sitting in my bladder!!No wonder I was uncomfy.This happened several times during my stay at the hospital.
Although this was 12 years ago and I have had no major difficulties with my bladder from then,I do find even now that if I "wait"too long (ie dont go immediately I feel the urge,which happens for a variety of reasons such as being out of the house and nowhere near a loo!)I do have problems.When I do get to the toilet,no matter how full my bladder is and how much I feel the need to go,I just cant straight away.I have a frustrating couple of minutes where I have to stand and wait whilst the muscles relax and then go try again.
My worry is that after being catheterised for the hysterectomy I will have the fun and games I experienced after having my daughter.Surely there will be some swelling and bruising ,and that was the initial cause of my problems then.
I know many women during their lives have the opposite problem,where they get little or no warning when they need to pass urine,but I havent spoken to anyone who like me has plenty of warning,but just cant go!

sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2004, 04:58 AM
catheter worries

Hi Sam,

I had a TAH/BSO and also had a catheter for 24 hours. I had the same problem than you before the op, i.e. I also could not go "easily" but after the op, there was a 100% improvement. I think it was partly due to a Urologist working with my Gyn on my bladder and "tying" any slack muscles that might have caused the previous problem.

Any case, the problem does not exist any more!

Good luck, hope all goes well.

Unread 03-12-2004, 08:08 AM
"pee freeze"

Hi Sam,
You said you haven't had bladder problems since having your daughter, but the not-being-able-to-go when you know darn well you need to & the effort is worthwhile once it goes--a friend of mine whom I confided in also had this & she said the support group she was in called it "pee freeze" (doubtfully a medical term though). But it helped to know that I wasn't the only one & that there was a name for it, even if it wasn't a technical term.

You didn't say just what surgery you are having. If you haven't already, IMHO it wouldn't be a bad idea to see a urologist, or as I did a urogynocologist. I had several things going on, including prolapsed uterus, cystocele (prolapsed bladder), rectocele, enterocele, & there was something about my urethra which I guess would have probably led to an incontinence prob if left alone. While doc didn't say precisely what was causing the pee freeze, we tried a pessary for a while to take the pressure off of the baldder & it improved. I then had surgery to remove the uterus & repair the hernias. While I'm only 6 weeks post-op, I don't have that prob anymore. Initially after the surgery my bladder wasn't too crazy about working--had some spasms due to all of the manipulation--& when it did work, it didn't completely empty itself (I know this because of the catheter). The cath I had was superpubic (tube & bag out the abdomin instead of urehtra), which doesn't sound like fun BUT 1) I could sleep without being awakened by a full bladder (very nice feature at that time!), and 2) we could tell what progress my bladder was making by measuring the residual. I had the cath for 3 weeks, but some need it for up to 6, which while that doesn't sound appealling, I believe it's why I & several others I know who go to same doc don't have recurrent probs by not fully recovering initially.

Sorry so long but wanted you to know my whole deal in case similar might apply to you. Best of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2004, 08:23 AM
pee freeze

lol,pre freeze what a great name!Certainly very fitting,because thats exactly what it feels like.
The surgery I am having is TVH,because of years of painful and prolonged periods,and now changes in the cervical cells.
To be honest,I have never mentioned the pee freeze to a doctor(except for the first time it happened 12 years ago),as I didnt think it was a major problem.I thought it was just the way I was made.It was only today as I sat here with various panicky pre op thoughts whizzing through my brain that it dawned on me the problems I had experienced with catheters before.
Im not sure if my gynaecologist is also a urologist,but I dread having to postpone the surgery.I dont have an appointment to see him before the day of surgery though I do have to go to the hospital for pre op bloods next week.Perhaps I should mention it then.

Thanks for your replies they have been really helpful.

Sam
Unread 03-12-2004, 08:53 AM
catheter worries

Hi

I didn’t have any trouble at all once they removed the catheter after my TAH. I was able to pee normally after a couple of hours. The problem was getting up and out of the hospital bed and getting over to the bathroom. Kind of wish they had left it in just a bit longer. But it was a good way to get me out of bed and get moving

It's always best to consult with your doctor when you have worries. I did with mine and they really helped me through it all. If it’s not something physical, it could be stress that causes muscle tightness, and the memories of the rough time you went through after your pregnancy. I used I have what’s called a bashful bladder and had trouble going in public places, even if I really had to go. Getting those muscles to relax was tough when I was younger. Then a few years ago I started having problems because I had a growing fibroid that started blocking my bladder and kept it from emptying normally, I was only diagnosed recently.. finally found a good group of doctors

I had the catheter in for 10 days before the operation, because my Fibroid had gotten so large that it completely blocked up my bladder and I couldn’t pee at all. I was rushed to a doctor where they put a catheter in with a urine bag ( they said over a liter of urine came out, talk about relief!) I had to wear darn thing till I had my surgery. Walking around with it in was awful.

I was also so worried from all I went through before and also because I had it in so long that I would have problems… but I didn’t at all, everything came out fine!

So hopefully you won’t have any problem either!

Take care and wishing you all the best!
Unread 03-12-2004, 11:21 AM
one time surgery

Sam, I wouldn't hesitate to contact your doc to get all the info beforehand--it may not even postpone your surgery, but even if it does, I would think it would be better than having surgery more than once. My doc said it's better to go in a few times as possible--I agreed. I was on the table for four & a half hours because he had so much to do & I do have a 12 week recovery period, but hopefully, once it's done, it's done. I don't believe all gyn's know how to address bladder probs--which I'm finding are more common than I had realized. Just read through the pre & post ops to see how many others have or had bladder problems in addition to the gyn stuff. Ligaments get stretched & torn during delivery, falls, etc., but they can be repaired. Mine also required fascia (tissue donor) to help keep it up where it belongs. My DH has always wanted a hammock, he's jealous (not really) that my bladder got one before he did!
Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register