In need of some help :) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

In need of some help :) In need of some help :)

Unread 11-13-2009, 05:11 PM
In need of some help :)

I am 6 weeks post op and doc has me on trazodone for depression, I was taking Lexapro before surgery and something changed after surgery and they were no longer working for me. So anyhow I was wondering if maybe its not in my head but in my ovaries (which I think I still have both of) I had a CT scan the other day and as doc was reading off the organs that looked just fine he either failed to say my ovaries look good or I dont have them. But I never signed up for them to be taken. Hmmm. I am in some really good pain today as I am out of pain meds, they are sitting at the pharm right now. I dont feel it is safe for me to drive, I am feeling kinda dizzy today and there is a fresh layer of snow on the roads. And hubby is busy I have made a few phone calls to some other family to see if maybe they could pick them up for me but they are busy as well. So here I sit crying off and on, annoyed with my kids, annoyed with my hubby, ANNOYED WITH MY SELF. Sorry I am not having a very good day so far.

My husband and I both want me to be off the anti-depressants, and I would love anyones take on the subject.
Thanks in advance for the help sisters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2009, 07:33 PM
Re: In need of some help :)

(((Sister))) I'm so sorry you're going through all of this right now.

Going on anti-depressants, as well as going off of them, is not something to be taken lightly -- something I am sure you already know. It can take several weeks for the medication to "kick in" and start helping, and as you've experienced, they can stop working and then you and your are in search of another medication.

I guess the main thing I'd ask is, what does your doctor say about this? As much as you (or your husband) may want you to be off of them, many patients function much better when they are on some sort of medication. Depression and related disorders are often due to chemical imbalances, and all of the positive thoughts and attitudes in the world can't fix a chemical imbalance.

Anyhow, if you and your doctor feel that you are a candidate to try and taper off your medication, then by all means give it a try. However, it can also be more difficult to deal with depression and anxiety while you're also recovering from a physical trauma like major surgery... so as hard as it is to hear, you may have to wait a while to make any big changes.

I'm actually more concerned that you're still needing prescription pain medication at this point in your recovery. What does your doctor say about this? I'm concerned that either you may be overdoing things or that you might have some sort of complication which is causing additional pain. I remember that at the 6-8 week mark in my recovery, I thought I "should" be better, so I went ahead and returned to my regular routine even though I didn't actually feel up to it. Several months later, I was still hurting and having lots of swelling, but I still just thought I was a slow healer. Unfortunately, it was discovered that I had a large hematoma.

I'm not suggesting that you have a complication like I had, but still having enough pain to require prescription meds at your stage of recovery doesn't sound right to me. I would advise you to have things checked out just to make sure there isn't something going on that needs to be treated.

I hope you are feeling better soon.
Unread 11-13-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd2491 View Post
(((Sister))) I'm so sorry you're going through all of this right now.

Going on anti-depressants, as well as going off of them, is not something to be taken lightly -- something I am sure you already know. It can take several weeks for the medication to "kick in" and start helping, and as you've experienced, they can stop working and then you and your are in search of another medication.

I guess the main thing I'd ask is, what does your doctor say about this? As much as you (or your husband) may want you to be off of them, many patients function much better when they are on some sort of medication. Depression and related disorders are often due to chemical imbalances, and all of the positive thoughts and attitudes in the world can't fix a chemical imbalance.

Anyhow, if you and your doctor feel that you are a candidate to try and taper off your medication, then by all means give it a try. However, it can also be more difficult to deal with depression and anxiety while you're also recovering from a physical trauma like major surgery... so as hard as it is to hear, you may have to wait a while to make any big changes.

I'm actually more concerned that you're still needing prescription pain medication at this point in your recovery. What does your doctor say about this? I'm concerned that either you may be overdoing things or that you might have some sort of complication which is causing additional pain. I remember that at the 6-8 week mark in my recovery, I thought I "should" be better, so I went ahead and returned to my regular routine even though I didn't actually feel up to it. Several months later, I was still hurting and having lots of swelling, but I still just thought I was a slow healer. Unfortunately, it was discovered that I had a large hematoma.

I'm not suggesting that you have a complication like I had, but still having enough pain to require prescription meds at your stage of recovery doesn't sound right to me. I would advise you to have things checked out just to make sure there isn't something going on that needs to be treated.

I hope you are feeling better soon.
K now I have some more questions, first how did they figure out that you had a hematoma, cause I had a CT scan the other morning. Second the ER doc I saw last friday said I was more anemic now then I was right after my surgery, so where you anemic? I hurt under my right rib as well as my uterus area, my rib feels like something is in there pushing it outwards but CT scan didnt show anything. My doc said that my cartilage could be swollen and that is causing my pain, and the feeling of having something push it outwards. Everytime I see my doc I either forget to ask him the questions I need to or want to ask, or he just seems not have the time for me I am very frustrated cause I live in a small town and I dont really have any other options for seeing another doc for my issues, that is why I chose this one if the first place. I just know that I dont feel..... "right" I guess that is the only way I can put it, I just dont feel right. I know that I just had surgery but I thought at this point I should be feeling better not worse
Thanks so much for being there for me I feel like I need all the support I can get, from anyone and everyone possible
Unread 11-13-2009, 09:36 PM

Your ovaries could have gone to sleep. Mine did that & caused all kinds of mood swings. They woke up in the 3rd month & I felt much better. Maybe that is what is happening to you? I am so sorry everyone is too busy to help you. That is very sad. Hang in there.
Unread 11-13-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabutterfly1 View Post
Your ovaries could have gone to sleep. Mine did that & caused all kinds of mood swings. They woke up in the 3rd month & I felt much better. Maybe that is what is happening to you? I am so sorry everyone is too busy to help you. That is very sad. Hang in there.
I am a little worried that I might not even have my ovaries, I had CT Scan and doc named all my other organs and that they looked good, he didnt say anything about my ovaries though I am gonna get my operative reports tomorrow from the hospital to make sure that my ovaries are still in there if not doc is gonna be in big trouble cause I never signed up for that.
And thanks fo your support
Finally got my meds and I am feeling a little better this evening.
Unread 11-13-2009, 09:47 PM

Let us know what you find out.
Unread 11-13-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearfulinalaska View Post
K now I have some more questions, first how did they figure out that you had a hematoma, cause I had a CT scan the other morning. Second the ER doc I saw last friday said I was more anemic now then I was right after my surgery, so where you anemic? I hurt under my right rib as well as my uterus area, my rib feels like something is in there pushing it outwards but CT scan didnt show anything. My doc said that my cartilage could be swollen and that is causing my pain, and the feeling of having something push it outwards. Everytime I see my doc I either forget to ask him the questions I need to or want to ask, or he just seems not have the time for me I am very frustrated cause I live in a small town and I dont really have any other options for seeing another doc for my issues, that is why I chose this one if the first place. I just know that I dont feel..... "right" I guess that is the only way I can put it, I just dont feel right. I know that I just had surgery but I thought at this point I should be feeling better not worse
Thanks so much for being there for me I feel like I need all the support I can get, from anyone and everyone possible
If I were you I would find a board certified gyn doc in Anchorage. I lived there for 30 years and there are some GREAT doctors in that town. Someone needs to tell you whether or not you have your ovaries, you should have that information. I would want to know.
Unread 11-13-2009, 10:47 PM

I've been on an anti-depressant for about 15 years. For some people it is a short term fix for a short term problem. For me it like being diabetic.

I don't think it is a good idea to "want to be off your anti-depressants." If you need to be on them, be on them. Pushing to get off of them (especially coming from outside pressure) sets off all kinds of red flags.

I'm confused as to how your doctor/surgeon did not inform you that they took your ovaries out or left them in.
Unread 11-13-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollibari View Post
If I were you I would find a board certified gyn doc in Anchorage. I lived there for 30 years and there are some GREAT doctors in that town. Someone needs to tell you whether or not you have your ovaries, you should have that information. I would want to know.
I am getting the operative reports tomorrow from the hospital. And yeah I thought about going and seeing Dr <oops! name of physician removed per site guidelines!> cause I have heard good things about him. The only reason I didnt go see him for my hyster is cause hes all the way in Anchorage, and I have four kids, two dogs, and a kitty that I would have had to find sitters for, not easy to do, or take them with us and be in the hotel with hubby, again not an easy thing. We did that when I had my uterine suspension and tubal ligation done. That was not a fun trip at all. But yeah I think I might need to get someone else to look at me. I just dont feel right, and I was a few weeks ago, I should be feeling better not worse.
Thanks for your support
Unread 11-13-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyTree View Post
I've been on an anti-depressant for about 15 years. For some people it is a short term fix for a short term problem. For me it like being diabetic.

I don't think it is a good idea to "want to be off your anti-depressants." If you need to be on them, be on them. Pushing to get off of them (especially coming from outside pressure) sets off all kinds of red flags.

I'm confused as to how your doctor/surgeon did not inform you that they took your ovaries out or left them in.
Well when he read my ct scan report he named all my other organs I have and said nothing about my ovaries and I (seeing how I have no brain right now) didnt think to ask, then I got to thinking about it later that evening and my doc wasnt in today so I couldnt ask. So I will get my reports and find out

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register