No EASY hysterectomy! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No EASY hysterectomy! No EASY hysterectomy!

Unread 06-18-2005, 11:52 AM
No EASY hysterectomy!

Help! I had TVH and Bilateral Oopherectomy 2 1/2 weeks ago. In addition to dealing with my usual problem of putting pressure on myself to get things done, I'm also feeling very defensive and tired of feeling the need to explain myself to others.

Because I had a vaginal hysterectomy, several people have said things like, "Oh, you had the easy kind. You'll bounce back in no time!" According to my doctor, the recovery for TVH is exactly the same as for TAH. The only difference is less pain immediately following surgery and no scar. Where do people get the idea that TVH is EASY? It makes me want to check into a motel for a couple of weeks and not tell anyone where I am!

Anyway, I know what my restrictions are and what feels right to me, but I really need some support reinforcement from people who know what this is like. I've already pushed myself a bit too hard this week in order to keep from letting people down or having them think I'm a baby. I thank God every day for this website, because without it I might have hurt myself by now!

Sue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2005, 12:02 PM
No EASY hysterectomy!

Hang in there Sue! There are a lot of people that don't understand that a hysterectomy, regardless of how it was preformed, is a major surgery!

I too am very thankful for this site- it really helps to have those that understand completely- emotionaly, physically and mentally- what its like to go through a hysterectomy.

Keep pampering yourself!

Leslie
Unread 06-18-2005, 12:21 PM
No EASY hysterectomy!

Hi Sue,

Well, I have to say, I went on a website and saw how a TVH was performed and to me that did not look like an easier surgery. It might be considered less invasive to some, but to me a hysterectomy is a hysterectomy and we all need to heal from it.

I had a TAH/BSO and I have heard that a TVH is supposed to be an easier healing process, and I thought that before I saw what they did during a TVH. I do not feel that way anymore. It looked ouchy to me.

Well I just wanted to share my
(I hope no one is offended by how I feel about it.)

s to you,
Kristi
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2005, 12:29 PM
No EASY hysterectomy!

Hi QueenB31854!

I had a TLH/BSO and people would say the same thing to me. Just explain it's still considered major surgery and although it looks different on the outside, it's still hundreds of stitches on the inside for both our types of surgeries.

People that don't have problems like us are ignorant about hysterectomies and some are just plain insensitive. Don't let things like that get you down.

You're still very early in your recovery. Rest and heal properly to avoid complications later. I returned to work full time after 6 weeks and did well from the first day. I think it's due to the fact I did rest for the entire 6 weeks and just took care of myself.

Is our TVH recovery 8 weeks? I think it's longer than my TLH.

Take Care of yourself.

Unread 06-18-2005, 12:48 PM
No EASY hysterectomy!

If I were you I'd take a moment to let them know that a hysterectomy is the removal of the uterus, sometimes ovaries and cervix. And that the way the hysterectomy is performed just determines how much muscle pain on the outside you feel.
I know that each person heals differently. I myself had a TAH but don't think that mine was any worse than any other type.
Unread 06-18-2005, 01:05 PM
No EASY hysterectomy!

I feel the exact same way, Sue. That is why I have limited my appearances in public! I just don't even want to discuss my surgery with anyone. Thankfully, my husband & family members understand the what a major surgery it was and are constantly reminding me to sit down and rest. I am dreading having to go to my son's 5th grade graduation on Tuesday. I'm getting in and out of there as quickly as possible!
Unread 06-18-2005, 01:09 PM
No EASY hysterectomy!

I'd like to know when having a major organ removed from your body became EASY, no matter how it is accomplished!

You just remember that it is all about YOU, right now! Do what you need to (wash panties and dishes), get lots of rest, and screw the nay sayers!

Take care of you, hon. Don't worry what anyone else thinks. We've got your back!

Hugs,
Jo
Unread 06-18-2005, 01:22 PM
No EASY hysterectomy!

Just wanted to let you know that I just had a TVH 3 days ago and it was NOT easy at all. Did you know that the potential for blood loss is actually greater in a TVH than other methods? Sheesh. Even my hairdresser, who I think does a great job and who had an Abd. HYST years ago, told me I'd be up and about in 3 days after a vaginal hysterectomy. Hah! I have just ignored the ignorant and listened to those who count meaning my hyster sisters here on this site. I also saw the actual pics of a TVH beforehand and wow, pulling your uterus out of your body to remove it didn't look either easy or less painful at all. I had additional repairs done and they are still hurting also. However, I know that once I'm over the initial recovery, I will feel much better overall than I did before the surgery. After all, that is why I had this done. Best of the best to you!
Unread 06-18-2005, 01:39 PM
TVH

I had a TVH a week before you did and I'm still having pain now and again plus I tire very easily. Went to Wal*Mart today with DH (I also work there). It was really nice seeing my co-workers but I'm quite tired now and had to take a pain pill. Haven't had to take one for a few days now so I guess I over did it.

Don't listen to those who say it's the "easy" one. They obviously don't know what the heck they're talking about! I'm taking the full six weeks off and I even tacked on an extra week vacation so I'll actually have seven weeks!

I hope you heal & feel well soon, Sue! s

Sally
Unread 06-18-2005, 03:18 PM
No EASY hysterectomy!

Dear Sisters,

I'm afraid that I am one of those that have called a vaginal hysterectomy "the easy kind". Thanks for setting the record straight. I get it now.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register