Trouble in Hysterland for this princess | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Trouble in Hysterland for this princess Trouble in Hysterland for this princess

Unread 03-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Trouble in Hysterland for this princess

Hi fellow punctured princesses!

My name is Alycia. I had a TAH-BSO on January 20th. This was done on an emergency basis, as I had an ovary that was ready to rupture from a large cyst. I have been dealing with extremely heavy and irregular bleeding since 2002. I knew that I would have to have a hysterectomy someday, just didn't know it would be so soon!
I was doing fine with my recovery, but, ended up with a staph infection. I was readmitted to the hospital for an additional 5 days on February 1st. It was horrible! Thankfully, the doctor found out what type of staph it was, and was able to cure it.
Today, I went to see my doctor for a follow up to last week's appt. I had another minor staph infection in my vaginal cuff that the doctor wanted to recheck. Thankfully, that is healed. I have been having a lot of pain while urinating, and have felt a lot of pressure in that area. The doctor discovered today that I had vaginal granulation. She had to cauterize the area with silver nitrate.
(Sounds like I'm having fun, doesn't it?)

I am feeling better with my hormones. I was originally put on the Climara patch, and Prometrium post op, but, have been switched over to bio-identical compounded creams. The Climara patch gave me hives... it was the adhesive. Just this week, my doctor, <oops! name of physician removed per site guidelines!>, (who is WONDERFUL) upped my doses in all three of my hormones, so now I am feeling more "normal".

Have any of you felt like you were having trouble getting a full breath since surgery? Sometimes, it seems like I can't breathe. Also, my heart feels all agitated sometimes...

I guess I just want to know that there are others out there that have been through some of the things I have, and are doing much better now. It has been an overwhelming time, and I am really tired of feeling so weird. I just want to get back to my life.

By the way, I have a wonderful husband of 16 1/2 years, and 2 beautiful daughters, ages 16 and 5. I have the blessing of being a stay at home, homeschool mom.
Thanks for letting me post!

Blessings!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2007, 10:09 PM

I am sorry you had a bad staph infection, that can be serious, but glad you are better and it is treated.

Yes, some of us get some complications. I had different things, slow healing of vaginal cuff with 3 treatments for granulation over a 3 month period. Yeast infection, bacterial infection, constipation problems, hormones issues, you name it. The good thing is most of this stuff does get better and we heal. I guess it can take for some of us about a year to really heal fully and feel more like ourselves.

This is major surgery and a very life changing one, so it is no wonder we may have some problems and time healing. Please be patient and take it a day at a time trying to rest, eat healthy, and get a little exercise .

As far as hormones, these take some time to balance and over the years may have to be adjusted according to how your body is changing, so this is not set in stone for some of us.

Wishing you better days ahead and healing.

s
Unread 03-14-2007, 10:19 PM

Wow, your going thru the same thing I'm going thru. I can't really comfort you with when it will get better, but at least I don't feel like I'm going crazy! I had my surgery one month ago and still have trouble breathing, can't sleep at night and feel like my life is upside down! My advise is to take one day at a time and pace yourself.
Hang in there!
Hawaii
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2007, 10:42 PM

I can totally relate to most of what you've gone through. I've been through most of it myself. I haven't had the silver nitrate yet for the granulation. And I had a seroma that ruptured last week, and they were trying to take me back into surgery for the hole in my fascia. I will probably end up with surgery again in a few months for a hernia. So, I'm trying to take it easy as much as possible (those infections are scarier than the hysterectomy!), but I'm really starting to get antsy and ready to get back to normal too.
Unread 03-14-2007, 10:42 PM

I am so sorry you are going through all this. While I can't relate specifically to what you are going through I can tell you it is taking me a long time to recover and 5 weeks post op I am still having a lot of pain. Feel better soon. Take care.
Unread 03-14-2007, 10:59 PM

i havent had any problems to speak of but i did have severe breathing problems just out of surgery. they changed the pain medication and it was okay after that. i hope you all get better very very soon.
Unread 03-14-2007, 11:31 PM

Hi Ladies,
Thank you all for replying to my post. I feel better knowing that I am not the only one, but,I am sorry that you are going through tough times with things too. I know that things will get better, and there are days when I feel pretty good. I am ever hopeful for the day when we all feel normal again.
Thank you again for posting!
Unread 03-14-2007, 11:49 PM

Wow - thats alot for one person to handle! Lots of hugs from me to you- this shortness of breath, I swear you I think you need to get that checked out kinda soon. You know- with all you have been through it could be anxiety, I mean I know, what on EARTH could you possibly have a reason to be anxious over...lol....you are dealing with so much, it really could not hurt to go talk to the MD and see if it could be that. Its nothing to be ashamed of, your plate runneth over doll. PLUS you need to make sure they rule out anything serious. You never put off getting things like shortness of breath, chest pain or "palpations" of your heart. It could be nothing, it could be something, but ease your mind, and everyone that cares about you, get it checked.
It sounds as if you have a wonderful support system, that makes me smile for you. I hope you feel better very very soon!
Not trying to sound too stupid, can you or anyone explain this granulation to me? This is something I have not heard of in relation to this surgery.

No real reason for the dancing bananas =, they just make me chuckle-lol
Unread 03-15-2007, 05:27 AM

Hopefully, with your shortness of breath, somebody has listened to your lungs. If not, you should see the doc.
Unread 04-27-2007, 05:01 PM

Sometimes I feel like I stop breathing for a moment. How did you know you had an infection.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register