Painful intercorse-feel like insides being torn out | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Painful intercorse-feel like insides being torn out Painful intercorse-feel like insides being torn out

Unread 02-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Painful intercorse-feel like insides being torn out

Hi, I'm new and am here because I started doing research after such painful intercorse about 9 weeks after full hysterectomy. What in the world can cause so much pain? From what I'm reading here, it seems fairly common so why aren't doctors informing us of these potential "side affects"? What are pelvic floor exercises and where does one go for such therapy? I'm 60 years old and had vaginal dryness before but this doesn't seem like the same thing. I also have herpes which doesn't help matters any even though they had just about stopped occurring prior to my surgery. I have so many questions and doctor didn't seem to have any answers the other day. I'm hoping my pain problems can be remedied.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Re: Painful intercorse-feel like insides being torn out

Vaginal walls can atrophy because of lack of estrogen, meaning they aren't as supple and lubricated. You can try over the counter moisturizers, or your doctor can prescribe an estrogen cream.
Unread 02-20-2011, 12:53 PM

The pelvic floor exercise {Kegel exercise} is explained in the free Hyster Sister book, What 1000,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy. Sometimes it is listed on the side bar and you can order it from there, or go to the Hystersister store. The only thing I can add to cholula is to use lots of lubercant. Best of luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2011, 05:44 PM

Juicy -

Sorry to hear you are experiencing painful intercourse. There are several things that can cause it.

As mentioned you could have some atrophy / vaginal dryness it is usually a burning sensation and can be accompanied by some spotting if the walls are that thin. Vaginal estrogen like estrace creme can help with this condition. I had this and am using Estrace at first it was daily and now it is 2x a week.

Another is granulation where the incision hasn't healed correctly. This can be treated by silver nitrate and in extreme situations by a vaginal cuff revision. Or it might be snipped / cut in the office if it is more of an over growth. I had a small tissue overgrowth and my gyn snipped it in the office and it resolved on its own.

Lastly is a condition called vaginismus where penetration is painful. Your body tenses, anticipating pain which in turn causes pain and it can become a vicious circle. One way to treat this is via pelvic floor physical therapy, essentially retraining the muscles to relax. I had to do dilation therapy, biofeedback, internal and external massage along with some regular PT exercises to stretch thigh and leg muscles.

So you can see depending on what your Dr. says is causing the issue there are options.

If you are looking for some exercises you can also check out the page "a Fit You" in the Hysterectomy Checkpoints Week 5 & 6

as you sort things out.

G.
Unread 02-20-2011, 06:07 PM

Thanks ladies for all your concerns and tips. Obviously, it will not be a quick fix. It truly does make a difference to know I am not alone in my suffering. Thanks again and I'll keep checking back for any new revelations.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register