UAE After Acessa DR says need biopsy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

UAE After Acessa DR says need biopsy UAE After Acessa DR says need biopsy

Unread 07-17-2015, 03:48 PM
UAE After Acessa DR says need biopsy

So I contacted the surgeon who performed the Acessa procedure to inquire about wether or not UAE/UFE would be an issue after having had the ablation in 2013.
He said it shouldn't be a problem but seeing as my fibroid grew from 13cm to 15 cm post surgery, he said I should have a needle or core biopsy. He finds it "concerning" the fibroid grew. ( so do I ) and he said its unusual for them to grow.
Has anyone else had this type of biopsy done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2015, 03:59 PM
Re: UAE After Acessa DR says need biopsy

From my understanding biopsies won't definitely show anything or rule anything out. So basically a waste of time. The cancer that portrays itself as a fibroid has a combination of normal and abnormal cells. The chance that the biopsy would happen to get the cancer cells is potentially small. The procedure of the biopsy itself can distort the cells also leading to a false positive. More importantly even if it comes back normal it doesn't rule out cancer. Some people were just debating about this on another group. Here is the article someone else posted on it -
http://www.fibroidsecondopinion.com/...re-not-cancer/

I chose not to have Acessa because the entire area of the fibroid would have to be a ablated and the chances that part of it being missed seems high. Meaning it good still grow. If you are worried it may be cancer talk to an Onocologist since they are the experts.
Unread 07-17-2015, 04:52 PM
Re: UAE After Acessa DR says need biopsy

I didn't have that type of biopsy but I did have a biopsy that was part of the hoops I had to comply with to go forth with UFE.

I wanted to respond to your post because I don't think it's unusual or even menacing that a 13 cm fibroid has grown. Mine grew 2cm from 7cm to 9cm in a year's time. I was in a highly pre-menopausal state and it grew like crazy! A 13cm fibroid is pretty good size and since fibroids produce their own food source it found a blood source that enabled it to grow. This is not unusual for large fibroids. These are insidious monsters.

It's too bad Acessa has not worked out for you. If it were me I would comply with the testing so you can proceed with UFE which has an 85% satisfaction rate per Medscape.

Find the most experienced IR you can so you can put this behind you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2015, 08:55 PM
UAE After Acessa DR says need biopsy

Thank you both for the reply... As soon as I got off the phone with my old surgeon, I ran to google and found that post on the link Bef-99 posted. The opinion of the article, and you ladies, was the same opinion I've had for a while based on what I've read about trying to biopsy a fibroid. There's just no definite result.

Again... All very frustrating. It will be interesting to see what the IR meeting with on Wednesday says about it.
Till then, how about another glass of wine? Sigh ...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register