Am I the only one? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I the only one? Am I the only one?

Unread 05-18-2004, 11:07 AM
Am I the only one?

I'm fairly new to the board and I've found it to be very informative and reassuring. I've got a bit of a unique situation and was curious if anyone else has a similiar situation?
I have a double uterus, 2 completely seperate cavities. I also had a double cervix and a double vagina (vaginal septum). A few years ago I had surgery to remove the septum and have some posterior repairs. Shortly after this surgery, I started experiencing sharp pain in my left side on the first day of my period. Over time, the pains became more frequent and I sought medical advice. My dr. did a lap and found endometriosis. He didn't seem to be all that interested in helping me so I found a new doc.
I was shocked when this doc did a pelvic and found that I only had 1 cervix. He's done 2 laps, U/S's and a CAT scan and we can't find it! My uterus has become very enlarged and my Dr. feels that one of the cavities is unable to empty due to the missing cervix. The pain has become constant and severe. I'm scheduled for a TAH on 6/9 and was just wondering if the double uterus will be an added risk.
Sorry this got so long. I condensed it as much as possible.
Thanks for reading...

Jenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2004, 11:19 AM
Am I the only one?

Jenn,

First of all, let me say I'm glad you found this place. I know for me, it has been a God send and a place of immeasurable comfort. Secondly, I'm so sorry you are in so much pain. I think all of us here can relate to that feeling.

I can't imagine what happened to your second cervix. Have you requested the operative report from the original procedure that you had done to remove the septum? Is it possible that your doctor removed the cervix without your knowledge? I almost hate to mention that possibility, but when I finally got copies of my records, I was shocked to discover that I had had two D&C done on me without my knowledge or consent during laparoscopies. The doctor I consulted later for help to try to have a baby, told me that my uterine cavity is abnormally small and that it is very possible that the unnecessary D&Cs had damaged my endometrium making it impossible for me to carry a baby to term. Needless to say, I was furious with my doctor for doing something to me without my consent or knowledge and devastated to know that it may have contributed to my inability to have a baby. Sadly, it happens that doctors do things they shouldn't. Maybe you should get that operative report and have your current doc take a look. He might discover something you were completely unaware of having been done.

I don't know if having a double uterus will be added risk or not, but I know that my oncologist feels that even with the extensive scarring and "mess" I have inside of my "frozen" pelvis he will be able to safely remove everything. Surely your doc can do the same for you? Have you asked him if it increases the risk? I would imagine the possiblity of increased bleeding could exist since there would be two parts to remove? I am not sure and I don't want you worrying over what is unknown. Better to ask and find out.

I pray that when your surgery is done you will recover and be pain free. Sending you lots and lots of big s!!!
Unread 05-18-2004, 11:44 AM
Am I the only one?

Jenn
I agree with Lostin canada.. you should get the medical report of you previous surgery. I had a doctor (in the past) suspend my uterus to my bowel muscle without a mention to as why he did it! To me or in the report, just that it was done!
I was glad I got the reports sent to my present doctor.. Funny thing is I don't know why I did that, I just did it. And it changed the way he is doing my surgery. His original plan was vaginal...but tomorrow I will have a TAH BSO.. Big change.
Best of luck to you and please feed your doctor all the information you can and provide him/her with any documentation of previous related proceedures. It can only help you both.
Take care and may God bless you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Am I the only one?

I should have added that I had the records from my first set of dr's (local hospital's prenatal clinic) and the Dr that did the surgery sent to my current dr. The double uterus/cervix/vagina is well documented in the records from the clinic but not documented at all in the records from the Dr.
We suspect that he either removed the cervix or that he closed it in during that surgery. What we can't figure out is why. I was a patient of his for 7 years, 2 pregnancies, a tubal ligation, the septum removal and a laparoscopy. They had done several u/s and had always done 2 pap smears--one for the left and one for the right. There is no mention in the records and operative reports about the double everything. It's very strange.
Unread 05-18-2004, 01:26 PM
Am I the only one?

I can't imagine having a double everything. What was that like? Has anyone said why you have double? How old were you when you found out? I don't mean to pry, it is just truly amazing.

I just turned 31 and had a TAH/BSO on April 19th. Life couldn't be any more wonderful.

Best Wishes and Many Prayers are coming your way!!!

Tonja
Unread 05-18-2004, 01:44 PM
Do a Search

Someone about a month or two ago posted this very same question. Unfortunatly I don't remember her name.
Unread 05-18-2004, 02:04 PM
Am I the only one?

I found out at my very first GYN visit. They saw the double vagina/double cervix. I was 18 and pregnant. They sent me to the clinic for an ultrasound and the double uterus was confirmed. It was the size of a normal uterus, heart shaped with 2 independent cavities, each having it's own cervix. One ovary and one tube for each. I've had pregnancies in both uterus' at different times. Everything appears normal from the outside. I had no idea prior to that GYN visit that there was anything different about me. My periods were very regular. The doc's don't know how or why it happens but I'm told that this particular uterine anomaly is extremely rare. I was very, very lucky that I had uneventful pregnancies.
Unread 05-18-2004, 02:06 PM
Am I the only one?

I have a double uterus as well. I also only have one kidney. I am having a TAH tomorrow. Abdominal because of the size of the uteri and the one kidney. My doctor told me that abdominal would be safer in my case.

I have only one set of ovaries, one cervix and 1 vagina. The right uterus is viable - the left one I only miscarried twins in.

As I'm sure you know, periods are double the pain, double the bleeding, etc.....hope this helps.

I would SO get your records from your ex-doctor.

I hope this helps!
Unread 05-18-2004, 02:55 PM
Am I the only one?

Wow, you girls are amazing. It is something that I had never heard of and neve knew was possible.

God Bless You Gals and I know through Him, your surgeries will go wonderfully and without comlication and you will have a very speedy recovery!!!

Tonja

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register