easy recovery, any others? - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

easy recovery, any others? easy recovery, any others?

Unread 11-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Re: easy recovery, any others?

3 weeks out now and I keep waiting for something bad to happen but nothing.
I drive, work, shop, and take care of family with no real issues. I still will not let myself lift things too heavy but on the whole back to normal.

Every time I read a post to this thread it makes me smile. I wish that every sisters here would be able to have the same easy recovery.

I hope that this thread gives hope to those waiting for surgery... There are so many of us that did well...

Hugs to all....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2011, 05:00 PM

I started out as a DvH and ended up as a TAH.....my blood O2 levels dropped to 80-85% when they were doing the Dvh......so they opened me up.
I have had a pretty easy recovery also......Took pain pills up to about day 6, then only at night....then the vicodin was keeping me awake, so off to Ibuprofin I went. Only one visit to the ER and that was for a pocket of blood that was hiding out behing my incision.....It decided to escape thru the weakest part of the incision and I had a puddle of blood on my bathroom floor.....No biggie...LOL!
I haven't driven yet, I think that I will try that this weekend....partly because one vehicle is in the shop, the other I have a fast car don't want to scare myself!
I was so excited that I even got to do a small morning stretch before I got out of bed this am!!! WOOT!
Happy healing!!!
~Jeri
Unread 11-07-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugati View Post
So glad to hear that going back to work at 4 weeks worked for several of you!

What did you wear? I normally wear hose and -- at week 2 1/2-- I don't think that sounds like such a great idea. (I know. I'm the only person left on the planet who still wears hose.)
LOL as soon as I read about you wearing hose I thought "I didn't know there were people left in the world who still wore those."
I teach preschool so I don't have to be dressed up per say and I can get away with wearing yoga pants and or even sweats as long as they are nice looking. I'm not sure if I will attempt jeans on my first day back or wear some black yoga pants and a loser fitting top just to make sure I am wearing something comfortable that first day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2011, 05:40 PM

I work at an elementary school and am wearing yoga pants with dressier shoes for my job. They are much more comfy than pants with a zipper. I have a vertical incision and it rubs and bothers my incision. Good luck going back. I had a TAH and went back at 5 weeks.
Unread 11-07-2011, 07:21 PM

I had an LAVH on October 18th & aside from the first 3 days post-op, I've felt great! Was a bit tired over the last 4 days but snapped out of that yesterday. I had my 3 week checkup today & all is well! I work from home (candle maker) & asked if I could get back to it & the doc said it would be fine at my own pace. It's busy season & I just can't afford to lay in bed anymore. I feel so much better since the procedure & I don't regret it. I had 4 years of unexplained lower back pain until I lucked out ay a major hospital 2 months ago for a hitech MRI for my lower sacrum for the back pain.... That's when they found that my uterus was retroverted & filled with several fibroids & endo. My uterus had shaped itself to grow towards the lower spine causing excruciating pain! I can yell you that when I awoke from my surgery, I noticed the back pain completely gone! I feel blessed & have a smile all the time now =) I'm thankful for this website too! It's helped me so much!
Unread 11-08-2011, 04:20 AM

Hi!

I'm sorry this is so long, but I wanted to mention these points for other pre-op sisters reading this forum looking for hints for an easy recovery.

I read most of the post-op forums and realised that most issues were digestive in nature, i.e gas pains and bm, with some people having probs passing urine due to prolonged insertion of catheter.

A few days prior to surgery, I switched over to light low-oil, non-spicy home-cooked food (I'm veg, dont eat eggs either).

After the surgery, I just kept sipping water in the hospital in-between meals (like I was enjoying a drink) and continued my pre-op diet for 7 days post-op. I celebrated my 1-week checkup by going out for dinner and binging on spicy junk food!

I had the catheter removed the morning after surgery. I was advised to retain it overnight for undisturbed sleep.

From then on, for the next 3 days, bed was only for an hour in the afternoon and at night. I did chores which involved standing/walking, like light cooking, dusting etc. Took 10-15 minutes break when I got tired. I realised that although movement is slow and uncomfortable, at the end of the day, the discomfort is down by 50% and speed and stamina just shot up.

Day 4 I felt totally normal and was at work (desk job)! No discomfort, no pain, no nothing!

Day 10 I left for a long-planned holiday to a wildlife sanctuary. The journey involved a 1 hour flight followed by a 3 hour drive on BAD Indian roads. Day 11 was a 3 hour safari in a 4WD along forest dirt tracks. Day 12, we went for a full day excursion to nearby tourist spots. The more I exerted, the better I felt!

I'm now in week 4 and for me, the surgery is a closed chapter. The only restriction I am allowing myself is not lifting heavy weights since it's supposed to have real bad repercussions.

I must stress here, the doctor knows best and your body knows better.

I'm back to working and partying - FULL TIME - No breaks ever

Thanks to the sisters posting here and a bigger thank you to the promoters of this site for giving it to us!
Unread 11-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Re: so far so good

In the hospital, my girlfriend/massage therapist massaged my feet as soon as I got to the room & next morning before discharge--recommend this! First walk at 2am started slow (pain meds) and picked up speed half way around the nurses station. I did 2 more laps around the place before discharge and performed all necessary functions as well---yay! I did have a new oufit to wear home, so I looked good.

I am on day 16 post op and drove on day 10--after I had stopped the heavy pain meds (day 6) and now take Naproxen when needed. No bleeding, minimal discomfort, learning how to roll over without pulling was a trick! Slow, steady and timed events helped-I overdid 1 day and stayed down the next.

Went to lunch with a girlfriend 2 days ago and wore my stretchy jeans-wanted out after 2 hours. Loose clothes help.Am scheduled to return to work on the 14th, 2 DAYS SHY OF 3 WEEKS. I reserve the right to come home early for naps.

Paddlrgrl
Unread 11-10-2011, 12:23 PM

I am certainly glad to see this too! I have had no troubles, no problems with the exception of wanting to do more! The only pain was more pressure than anything and I feel better after my surgery than I did before. Not wetting my pants while coughing, laughing, etc is the best. No bathroom problems at all. I am a very positive person anyway and was really looking forward to having this surgery. It helped that I had a spinal and twilight rather than general. I was talking and answering questions during surgery (which I don't remember, the Dr. had to tell me) and was talking to the recovery nurse as I was being wheeled out of the operating room. Even with the repairs I had to have I feel so much better. Glad to hear others have as well. I almost felt guilty, especially among my friends who had troubles after their surgery. At my 2 week post op yesterday the Dr. was even laughing when I asked him if he really did something or not.
Unread 11-10-2011, 02:13 PM

Another glad to see this thread. I'm 9 days post op and I feel GREAT! I actually felt great after they wheeled me to my room from recovery. I never really had any pain. The morning after my surgery I was up walking the halls of the hospital and climbing in/out of bed with very little pain or assistance. Appetite has been great too. My doctor told me today that I could resume most of my daily activities and driving as long as I listened to my body. I can start working out again [weights/intensive cardio] in 3 weeks and sex in 4 weeks. All he said was to listen to my body and that he would see me in a year for my annual.
Unread 11-10-2011, 02:38 PM

i too had a pretty easy and quick recovery. i was in the hospital for 2 days, and while i was in there i was determined to get some walkin in even if i was walkin at a snails pace. by the time i got home i was fortunate enough to have my mom there with me. she basically cooked and cleaned for me so i could focus on revcovering. i walked daily and when i got tired i took a break. too many much needed naps but, i know that the healing had to do with me being able to focus solely on me and not anyone else. i am very happy i had the surgery i had rapid growth fibroids of various types in my utereus...not a lot of pain but, a lot of discomfort during my menstrual cycle so it was time. best decision i made so far. all i can say is when you have the surgery do your best to move even a little bit. it really helps with gas pains, and helps build your stamina so you heal a lot quicker!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register