Question about how long anesthesia stays in your system - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about how long anesthesia stays in your system Question about how long anesthesia stays in your system

Unread 08-11-2006, 02:01 PM
Question about how long anesthesia stays in your system

I'm still burping up what tastes like anesthesia, @15 days out. Very very annoying :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2006, 03:36 PM

A nurse at work told me anesthesia can stay in your system up to one year and also make you tired for up to one year.
Unread 08-11-2006, 04:12 PM

I had nausea from the anesthesia for about 8 weeks post op. And for a while after that I could still feel the effects from time to time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2006, 04:33 PM

Anesthesia remaining in the body is vastly different for each individual. A lot depends on age, weight (body fat holds some drugs for long periods of time), metabolism and hydration. The anesthetic drugs that your hospital used play a role, as well.......they are all different.

For most "average" individuals, the bulk of anesthetic drugs is gone within 1-2 days. The after-effects on the different parts of the body can, and will, last much longer. As with most drugs....including recreational and poisonous....... the hair holds the tale. Even after the drugs are out of the system, it is "recorded" on the hair shaft.

This is another very good reason to drink plenty of water postop.....and always. Water helps cleanse our systems, keeping us healthy........................s.....Deb
Unread 08-11-2006, 05:10 PM

I have had high blood pressure since I first began having health problems last March - not super high, but enough to worry about 160/90's, or so. Doc put me on a mild diuretic which I don't think really has made much diff. Seems mine would start out very normal in the am and rise as the day progressed. I believe more from worry than any actual physical problem, but doc seems to focus on the hbp to the exclusion of anything else. Thank God for my gyno and others who've been involved in my treatment or I'd still be suffering and worrying only about hbp!

Right after my surgery bp went very high, but then slowly began to come back down, and at 2 1/2 weeks post-op it was normal at my checkup with surgeon - 124/83.

I think swelly-belly and edema (?) from the surgery could cause blood pressure to rise. Seems to make sense that if we're retaining a lot of water in our tissues, (which is what doc gave me meds to eliminate), then bp could rise - possibly for quite a while after. I can only speculate, but I definitely believe worry and all of what we're going through with our health at these times can cause great fluctuations from what's deemed normal.

Best wishes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register