hysterectomy with both ovaries left in tact - need any and all info on what to expect | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hysterectomy with both ovaries left in tact - need any and all info on what to expect hysterectomy with both ovaries left in tact - need any and all info on what to expect

Unread 01-05-2004, 02:35 PM
hysterectomy with both ovaries left in tact - need any and all info on what to expect

Today I went in for a scheduled appointment with an ob/gyn knowing I would probably need surgery to repair 3rd degree cystocele. The conversation was proceeding nicely and then the big "H" word was dropped. To hear hysterectomy as part of my treatment at age 35 was a little disconcerting (to put it nicely). I run 10 miles a day, weight train daily and have 3 active young boys (3-13). What should I expect? Will I have problems with hormones, etc.? The thing that worries me most is actually having a catheter in for a week post surgery. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely, andmontet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2004, 03:00 PM
hysterectomy with both ovaries left in tact - need any and all info on what to expect

I would almost bet at your age that the doc may decide to leave your ovaries. Ask him what he plans on. As for the catheter, not to sound stupid, but is cystocele a bladder thing? Unless you have problems, they usually do not leave the catheter in unless you have some kind of bladder repair.
Unread 01-05-2004, 03:05 PM

Some women are lucky and come thruohg surgery with virtually no pain or problems. Hope that happens to you. I had my hyst due to cervical cancer. At the time it was discovered I was 3 months pregnnt and newly married. I waited until the baby could be born to have the hyst. It was suppose to be around 37 weeks, however, I had complications with diabetes(which i had before pregancy), and pre-eclampcia ( discovsered around 24 weeks.High blood pressure took over and I had the hyst at 29 weeks. My heart stopped on the table because of these complications. After surgery I lost all feelings, like detached. I had incredble pain and could not eat a thing. Constipation to diareah took over. I slept on the sofa a lot with the baby.I felt like I had lost my womanhood and had zero energy. I have a little bit now and then today.I spent little over 2 months in the hospital, had 3 blood transfusions, infection due to stiches and staples after surgery,and I could not walk for a month. Then the real fun started. Radiation. That distroyed my entire body systems. I am 2 years post op and still go through surgical menopause as well as the other surgery and radiation junk. on top of that I still had a newborn preemie. Now 2. Some problems.

Perhaps your older boy csan help out when you get home from the hospital. if you have a husband Make him help. Many do not. Men live in another world. Three year old will be hrder, they dont understand. I did not go thru explining to my son the surgery because he weas there. However, he is fasinated with the scar so I tell him the story how he was born. He loves it. It is his story too.

Hope it is better for you. Keep in mind some women have improved lives after hysterectomy. Hope it works for you. Keep usposted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2004, 10:25 PM

Hi,
I had a similar experience to yours...went to the MD c/o leakiness and expected to be told to do Kegals til I was blue in the face, but to my surprise, things were already beyond that point...and Hysterectomy was suggested. I waited awhile, trying to decide, since I too am very active (1 marathon & a 1/2 marathon) and hated to think of interrupting my life for surgery.

My MD's are confident that since I am in good shape, I will do well with surgery...I'm guessing that you will too. How long the catheter is left in place will depend on how much of a correction you'll need for your bladder...and how quickly you recover normal bladder function.

Try to think positive thoughts and focus on a good outcome. Talk to your doctor so you know just what to expect. Make sure that you get a good evaluation so you can get all problems corrected at one time...better success all around that way.

Shel
Unread 01-05-2004, 11:31 PM

Hi, Cystecele is definatley repair of the bladder muscles, I've heard here a sling and not sure if its the same thing, I kinda think so. The catheter is only in for as long as you cant pee on your own. My doc says its a trauma to the bladder, and it has to learn to pee again. My nurse friend says its no big deal to go home with catheter, wonder if she's ever had one....
Also biggy they tell me is to do what docs and nurses say, specially the healing, no lifting part. The 3-4 wk post-op time the internal stitchs melt away and we're left on our own so be WAY carefull at that late time to. We only get a chance to heal correctly once, special at your young age.
Take care
Unread 01-05-2004, 11:47 PM
also had cystocele repair

along with bladder burch sling, rectrocele, enterocele, prolapsed enlarged uterus with LAVH. The 'celes' all healed well, no problems. I didn't have urinary leakage or problems but that was because the back 'cele' had me in an artificial balance. I was assured as soon as recto was repaired I would have suffered big time trouble.

I had a urologist do my bladder work during my hyst. The catheter i had dreaded, no big deal, it was put in whilst I was asleep, didn't hurt, not even when removed on second day.

There is a likelihood you will have vaginal packing to control bleeding and that was uncomfortable until removed, also on second day.

Please check with your surgeon about lifting and stretching restrictions during your recovery and for long term future. I have a weight restriction of max. 25-30 lbs but try to avoid anything near that, and I don't know about long distance running for bladders, but do know when I used to run I had terrible bowel problems which could have been due to entero/rect cele.

Hormones. Well we're all different here. Some of us have our ovaries shut down and sleep for a while before waking up and spitting out the hormones. Some go into overdrive and pms can be temporarily increased, and some go into a decline and occasionally misbehave.

You may experience bladder spasms that can be eased with pain meds and may have an increased chance of uti infection short term. Try a search using the words you want to research on, take notes of things that may apply to you or concern you and then go chat with your surgeon again. It's a lot to take in especially as you sound a very high octane active person.

Hope this helps a little, Linda
Unread 01-06-2004, 06:53 AM

I had my LAVH about 2 years ago at age 41 - I kept both ovaries. My overies have been woorking well and I have not needed ay hormones.

Whether to keep your ovaries or not can depend on the reason for the hysterectomy, your age, the health of the ovaries and your family medical history. If you have any questions be sure to thoroughly discuss all your options with your doctor before making any decisions.

Take care.

S
Unread 01-06-2004, 07:58 AM

Hi-
I'm 36, with kids from 2-14, so I know how you feel! The first thing to be ready for is menopause! I kept my ovaries, but what my Dr didn't tell me was, that your uterus provides a lot of the blood flow for the ovaries, and without it there's about a 40% chance of your ovaries slowing or stopping hormone production. So have your levels checked before surgery--that way you know what's normal for you.
Take it easy after surgery!!! Active folks find it hard to relax and sit still-especially with little ones--I can't stress rest enough!!!!
Good luck!
Unread 01-06-2004, 08:16 AM

I'm 32 and my kids were 3,6, and 7 when I had my hysterectomy.
I also kept my ovaries but they went into shock and I had to go onto HRT for 5 months, until they woke up.

Now they work fine and I feel better than I have in years

Rest rest rest is the key to successful healing. Do not lift anything heavier than your plate.. no pushing or pulling of anything - especially a grocery cart. Walking is allowed and encouraged. Start slow and build as your strength increases.

I did not have a cath at all, but many ladies do for either a short time or a longer time.. so you should be able to get lots of info on that. From what I have read, its not as bad as you think it will be.

s
Unread 01-06-2004, 11:24 AM

I'm 34 and hearing the "H" word was quite a shock for me as well. I have tried alot of other things to correct problems with bleeding and pain and this is the last resort. If you still aren't sure seek a second opinion. I did and hearing another Doc tell me that me and my regular GYN had tried everything he would have suggested gave me some peace of mind. I have been coming to this site alot and reading and getting information it is really helping me prepare since my date is 1-14. I also have 3 kids 7,10 and 13 and workout on a regular basis and the thought of not going to the gym and lifting and running is driving me crazy so I've been working out on almost a daily basis. I also think it helps me to focus all the nervous energy into something else ( although the house is spotless now too ) Anyway, good luck. I can't offer any advice since I haven't had the surgery yet but I'll check in and let you know how it is.

Lori

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register