Sick With General Anesthesia? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sick With General Anesthesia? Sick With General Anesthesia?

Unread 07-18-2004, 01:42 AM
Sick With General Anesthesia?

I have been under General Anesthesia two times in the last 5 years - just over 4 years ago for tubal ligation and in May of this year for a LEEP. I did not get sick either time. Does that mean I'm unlikely to get sick with upcoming TVH? I don't want anti-nausea medication if I'm not likely to experience nausea, but I don't want to be without it if I'm going to need it. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2004, 02:24 AM

this is a question that would be best answered by your anesthesiologist. just an FYI-youre not going to want to chance waking up from a TVH with nausea and vomiting.
Unread 07-18-2004, 02:58 AM

Throwing up for whatever reason after any kind of surgery is extremely painful! It happened to me after I had part of my left ovary removed with a huge cyst thru a bikini line abdominal incision. I would much rather err on the side of caution than to be in that kind of misery! And besides, it does help to relax you and helps you sleep too! Can't be a terrible thing when you're going to want to sleep most of the time anyway!
Thats just my opinion tho!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2004, 02:19 PM
sick with general anaesthesia

Hi there. I recently had my TAH BSO, the first surgery I have ever had and I wasnt sick at all. Maybe is was because someone told me NOT to drink anything AT ALL after the nil by mouth time allocated to you. The lady in the next bed to me drank almost a full bottle of Coke approx 2hours before her surgery and when she came back to her bed she was as sick as a dog all afternoon.

Best wishes for your coming operation. We will all be thinking about you. Its the best thing I could have ever done. No more flooding, no more pain.
Unread 07-18-2004, 02:52 PM

When I had my tubes tied 14 years ago i woke up & for several hours after. awful!!! So when I had to go in 4 years ago for a polyp removal I stressed that they give me something to prevent nausea. Whatever they gave me was wonderful. I felt great after surgery. Never had a stomache upset. I stressed it again at my preop this time. no
Unread 07-18-2004, 03:33 PM

Hi,
Benice, I was watching your sweet looking little blue circles, then yuk- the message was clear! I was concerned about nausea, since I'd seen my DH and other's miserable post op from nausea. My anesthelogist gave me a med to prevent nausea prior to surgery and I had phenagin for the first 24 hours after. I'm with the others, I had no nausea and am glad I didn't. I'd stay on the side of caution. Is there a way to know if you had nausea meds with the first two surgeries? Good luck!

:rainbo:
Unread 07-18-2004, 04:56 PM

Just a suggestion: Talk to your doc and A-man about a local instead of a general. I had a spinal and it was great. You get up and around a lot quicker without all the after-effects of a general. They give you some sort of stuff in your IV that makes you sleep and the spinal takes away all feeling from about the waist on down. It was great!!

When I asked my doctor about it, he told me that he likes to do it that way because you can get up sooner after surgery. He told me that A-men sometimes don't like to do it and would talk patients out of using a local during pre-op. I told him not to worry, they wouldn't talk me out of it! Just before my surgery, my doc came in and whispered, "You got the best A-man!" The A-man said - "It doesn't matter to me, I'll do whatever you want!"

It's worth asking about... if you do a local, you won't have to worry about getting sick or the sore throat from the tube. I wouldn't have done it any other way!!

Good Luck!
Michelle
Unread 07-18-2004, 05:13 PM

I had a spinal too, and am very pleased that I did. I did get sick later though, and I am not sure why, either the sedation or the vile yellow jello they gave me to eat.

I found in my experience that each time I had general, I got progressively more sick.

I think you should talk to your Dr and the Anes about your concerns. Ultimately it is up to you.

With TVH you don't have to worry so much about things hurting if you do get sick -- having no abdominal stitches really helps.
Unread 07-18-2004, 05:51 PM

Hi....I always get VERY sick from general anes. and I had a LONG talk with my Gyno before my surgery. I was more frightened by getting sick than the actual surgery itself. He promised me he would order "Zofran", which is the "Cadillac" of anti'nausea meds. And let me tell you...it was the BEST medicine ever! I didn't feel one ounce of nausea at all! I WAS SOOO HAPPY!! The rest was a piece of cake! Good Luck in making your choice...I wouldn't chance it!
Unread 07-18-2004, 05:59 PM

Zofran IS the "cadillac" of anti-nausea medicines. It rocks! It's VERY expensive, and some insurances won't pay for it so in that case they give you Phenergan which is good too. Don't worry about it...they don't want you getting sick either, so they will take care of the nausea.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register