Hrt | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-10-2005, 09:32 AM
Hrt

Hello ladies.
I have been reading over all of your experieces and was wondering about HRT. Here in the UK the doctors insist that HRT is taken. Im 34 and would much rather take herbal remidies than drugs. What are your views on HRT or no HRT as I would love some other opinions.
many thanks in advance.
Katey x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2005, 09:37 AM
On HRT

Hi Katey,
I am 31 and just had a hysterectomy on May 16th. My doc and I decided it would be best for me to start HRT becasue I am young and not having the hormones would increase my chance with osterporosis and heart disease. So for now I am on them. I believe that it is a decision that you and your doc need to make for you and the circumstances that have lead you to having a hysterectomy.

Good luck!
Leslie
Unread 06-10-2005, 09:57 AM
Hrt

You should check out the Hormone Jungle boards here. There's one for hormones and one for those going without HRT.

I started HRT after my surgery, but I'm only planning on taking it for a couple of months until I'm physically better. I didn't want to tackle hot flushes while dealing with BM problems!

Regarding osteoporosis I notice on my medication I'd have to double my dose to have any beneficial effects. Since my current dosage is working fine regarding hot flushes, etc. I'm reluctant to increase it. I'll stick to calcium supplements and exercise for that.

I don't believe I've seen any recent studies that show a benefit to taking HRT as regards heart disease. Some regard it as harmful.

Check out the Hormone Jungle - there's lots of good info there.

HollyK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2005, 04:49 PM
Hrt

I have read a lot of articles and books since my surgery (TAH/BSO) and am convinced that I will be taking bio-identical estrogen for the rest of my life. A good and easy read is Suzanne Somers' "The Sexy Years". She has done a lot of research into this (she even had breast cancer and refused to stop her estrogen because of how awful she felt without it--this didn't turn out adversely for her). Hers was the easiest read, but there were others who stated the same benefits. It can be confusing going through all the books out there...so many contradict each other and they are written by doctors too, which just makes it that much more confusing in my opinion.

In the end, each of us has to decide for ourselves what we are going to do. I was perimenopausal for 3 years prior to my hyster and I'm pretty young, relatively speaking, as well (43 years old). I have a long time left to live and don't want some of the problems that women routinely deal with after menopause like heart issues and osteoporosis so I'm taking the estradiol. My suggestion would be to read up on all of it, and the hormone jungle boards and articles are a good starting point. Good luck with your decision.
Unread 06-10-2005, 05:09 PM
Hrt

KSS;

I haven't read Somers book myself yet, but I've seen it recommended here frequently.

Though when the results of the WHI study came out a couple of years ago a lot was heard about HRT causing breast cancer, they were talking about women taking estrogen AND progestin. For those of us (without a uterus) who are only taking estrogen there is no such link. Check out their site and look at the "estrogen only" results.

www.whi.org

The one I'm taking is estradiol as well.

HollyK
Unread 06-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Hrt

Katey and Leslie ~

I'm wondering if your Dr. put you on the lowest HRT, that is premarin 0.3 ?

I've been on prem-pro since menapause...just 3 mos. before my surgery she put me on Premarin 0.3.

3 months after my surgery (I didn't take the premarin, tappered off and then stopped altogether.......now I can't sleep well because I have achey bones, can hardly make a fist first thing in the morning, ankles ache...I feel it has to be from lack of hormones.........

So, for 3 days now I have been good and taking my premarin 0.3
.....even though, because of fibrotic breast tissue, I am afraid to take estrogen...but then there is that thing about "quality of life"...so, is it either breast cancer or osteoporosis?

Would like to know what you think (?)

:hair: , Marie
Unread 06-10-2005, 06:54 PM
Hrt

HRTis such a personal decision...how do you feel with it vs without it?

I was so determined to tough it out...I am a smart woman, my degree is in PE and Health Ed, I can handle this, right. Wrong! My symptoms got progressively worse after my LAVH, to the point where I had 16 hot flashes during my work day (7am-3pm) and I just couldn't function. I waved the white flag, surrendered, and went back to my dr who honored my desire to have bioidentical hormones. I am on the Climara estrogen patch, and the day after I put it on, I felt like a new woman. My mood lifted, I was happy and back to my "usual" self (for the most part), and I could function at my job. I plan on staying with the patch until I can fuction without it...if that means next year or 20 years from now, so be it. I want to have a life and to enjoy it without being a raving lunatic or making eveyone around me duck and run for cover!

isewquilts
Unread 06-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Vivelle .1mg

Hi Marie,
My doc put me on vivelle .1mg estrogen patch. I am 31 and have a lot of years left in me to need hormones. I am starting to notice headaches at night- not sure if its from the hormones or sinus. I thought I'd give it a bit to see. I did notice a large difference in how I felt after having 1 ovary removed last Oct. I really struggled physically and emotionally- so I knew that I would have to do something to help combat everything. I already suffer from osteoarthritits in my lower joints (feet. ankles, kness and hips) thanks to several injuries growing up on a ranch and being somewhat of a tomboy.
I am anxious to see if there is another type of HRT that might work better. But right now I am just going with the flow until I am healed and I am over fighting the entrapped nerve on my left side.
I did do a lot of research and am still doing research on HRT. I truly believe that it is an independent decision- there are so many pros and cons. I will have to read Suzanne Somers book- I have seen it recomended and like to read.
Good luck all!
Leslie
Unread 06-10-2005, 08:56 PM
Hrt

IMO a woman your age needs and deserves HRT. I'm 50 and I kept one dwindling ovary to ease my passage. I hope I can get by without HRT because I've already tried HRT to control perimenopause symptoms. I never say never because it might still be beneficial without my bleeding problems. My mother got by without HRT and is still energetic and slim at 70. Everyone is different, but you have a lot of life ahead of you.
Unread 06-10-2005, 09:04 PM
Hrt

Okay, I'm going to be the oddball here. I was recommended to stay off hormones for at least 6 months. I am higher risk for stroke...runs in the family, so I'm not too interested in taking it at all.

I have hot flashes but am hypothyroid so I am willing to go through these because the warmth doesn't seem like such a bad thing to me and they don't last long.

I seem to be able to keep weight off better without hormone and believe me I have been fighting for years just to lose even 10 pounds.

Physically I feel better, not as lumpy if you know what I mean and emotionally...more stable.

The worst part of no hormone is the lack of sleep but I think I'm getting used to it now...Scary!!!!

So far my experience without has been more positive then negative and when I weigh the difference I will take osteoporsis over stroke, heart attack etc... anyday.
Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register