My story | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-24-2006, 10:07 PM
My story

OK, Hi. Guess I am supposed to start here. Have been reading the boards for a week or so. I feel a little wierd as I am tentatively looking forward to getting what I have been told by no less than five women "the best thing I ever did". I am 43, unmarried, no children. So I don't have much baggage to take in with me. I have had heavy periods since the beginning. Lots of clotting (particularly in the 20's). My uterine lining sometimes gets very think and in the past we've done some hormone therapy and it's gotten better for a year or two. I also have some fibroids. I don't think they are huge. Last time we did an u/s I think 3 cm is the largest. However, it's not uncommon now for me to have 2 periods a month or a day so heavy I have to take off work (I have often lucked out that the heavy stuff starts after work or on a weekend but then, oh boy, my only time off (I work 2 jobs, one online) is invaded by frequent trips to the bathroom.) So, I guess you could say it impinges on my life. In March I started having real pain on my left side. Nothing was found through u/s or CT contrast scan. IBS was brought up. In March my gyn put me on micronor to try to reduce bleeding. It did seem to help regulate me a bit, but I still have plenty of bleeding. One month I still had two periods. One period I had lots of jabby pains. And just last month I had a 2 week period so I called the gyn and they put me on more progesterone. Wasn't quitting so the gyn wanted to see me. My period did finally stop after 3 weeks. He feels that we are barely keeping a lid on bleeding with meds. I agree. Everyone else I know my age is getting lighter and less and I am getting MORE! He offered Lupron or LSH. He's already said he thought a hysterectomy was in my future. We are both not impressed with ablation (my sister had one, but it only lasts so long and you may need another or a hyst anyway). I'm totally unimpressed with Lupron and have not really any reason to try it since I'm NOT going to have a child. So, I really can't see why not a hysterectomy. I mean, why keep trying things that won't last? I'm spending half my life in doctors offices this year and at least half is definitely due to my cycle problems. I'm not convinced that the so called IBS stuff isn't associated with the reproductive system since I did NOT have trouble before this year except for some constipation the last couple of years and always around my period. I often feel bloated anymore like I AM having a period even when I am not. Yeah, it could be IBS, but that doesn't seem to completely fit that profile either. Who knows I guess, until someone lays actual eyes on my insides.

I feel a little odd because unlike many posts I read, I'm not in excruciating pain, but I am tired all the time anymore it seems. This last long period I ate like a lumberjack (I think my body was just trying to keep me from anemia).

My GYN is great. I wish I could clone him for all my other doctor needs. The man can have a hellacious day and still swing in to see me at 5:15pm and act like I am his only patient and my concerns his only worry. So I really trust him. I've never known any woman that uses him that is not impressed by his manner and help. His clinic is always up on all the most recent procedures and is large.

I do have worries. Will my belly swell and never go away? Will I lose a whole year or something of horseback riding (my "therapy" - seriously, it keeps me sane)? How much time off work must I take? (can't afford too much being a single income) Will I be the unlucky one where there is a complication? How much help will I need? (I live alone with 2 cats, one who is diabetic and asthmatic and needs daily medicine). How much will it really hurt? How can I manage on my own the first week? I have a friend that has offered to stay at first but I feel bad her spending too much time as she has to little kids (one diabetic).

So any tips are appreciated. I called just before the holidays and scheduled a tentative date of Dec. 29, but I haven't confirmed or spoken to the GYN yet because of the hoidays. Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2006, 10:39 PM
My story

You sound like a candidate for hysterectomy for sure. I doubt you would lose a year of horseback riding. There are other horsey people on here, and I hope they will come along and advise you on that. I was back at the gym 6 weeks after my surgery doing mild workouts, I guess I took a couple of months to get back into my old routine. Now I am more active than I was before my surgery and enjoying it more. I do have a nice husband, but he could not take any time off from work after my surgery, and we have no family living near us. A couple of times I simply had to call on neighbors to help me out, but mostly I was fine on my own during the days. Perhaps you won't need to have someone stay with you, but arrange to have someone you can call if you find you need assistance. These details will work themselves out. Best of luck to you!
Unread 11-24-2006, 10:51 PM
My story

Wow. Thanks. That's encouraging to hear!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2006, 10:27 AM
My story

I wasn't having any pain either, but my fibroids had grown to the size where they were pressing on my bladder, and that was bad. ( I couldn't ride then as it was very uncomfortable). Plus excessive bleeding, clots, anemia etc.

You can manage on your own during the day as long as you have water, juice, snacks, something for lunch, and whatever else you need close to where you are going to recuperate (couch, bed, recliner etc.). Then at night someone needs to fix or bring supper for you.

We ranch, so I ride a lot. I started riding again after about 3 months, but that was being very, very conservative. Depending on your type of surgery, your doctor should be able to advise you on when you can start riding again.

I didn't have any complications, and very little pain. The exhaustion was the main thing that was hard to get over (plus I lost even more blood during the surgery, so it took time to build those iron stores up!). I still have the swelly belly, but it is slowly getting better. Walking seems to really help it.

You can take care of your cats, as long as you avoid bending over at the waist or lifting anything heavier than a milk jug. Put whatever you need on a counter so you don't have to bend over to get the cat food etc. Can someone check on you once a day? to help with anything that you couldn't do yourself?

Good luck! It sounds like you have a great doctor and I'm sure things will go well for you!
Unread 11-25-2006, 10:41 AM
My story

I think I may contact my petsitter to be "on call" if my friend cannot come help me with the cats (the one who needs meds is slightly over 10 lbs.). Maybe he'll cut me a break for very short visits.

I'm perfectly ok with just walking on a horse as long as I can get back on. Honestly, I couldn't ride earlier this year for several months and my stress levels were out of this world. Or maybe I can even just go watch other lessons? Seriously, even just smelling horses makes me feel better (how wierd is that?)

What do you wear when you still have swelly belly and are technically "back" to work etc. ? I have to say, this swelly belly thing is my biggest "post fear". I kind of feel like I have it right now to be honest. It's one of the most annoying things the last few months and I am *convinced* it is related to my uterous and not IBS. I just never really experienced it before this year.

Thanks for your advice! It's good to know someone horsey has gotten back on. 3 months would be about right because my instructor's other activities and the weather will probably prevent riding during that amount of time anyway. (I won't feel I am "missing out"). Luckily, her horses are VERY well trained and in 3 years have not given me a moment of trouble. The mare I usually ride is a very good girl and seems to communicate with me well.
Unread 11-25-2006, 11:22 AM
My story

Hi Kichie,

I was 46 when I had a LSH for two large fibroids. I am still very pleased with my surgery results. My LSH gave me back my quality of life back.

Your gyneo Dr. sounds like my LSH Dr. He is sill my gyneo Dr. Just had my annual exam and everything looked great. My Dr. is the salt-of-the-earth. He makes me feel like I am the only patient he has had all day also. We are lucky to have Drs like that.

Getting back to the LSH surgery...here is a LSH link that might help you with your research:

http://www.goodgyn.com/lsh.html

On the swelly belly in ~pre-op~ - I started getting a gasesous feeling in my stomach when I ate foods I had enjoyed for years. I also had pelvic pressure 24/7 from the fibroids. Like a knot-being-twisted feeling. Also, I had bladder incontinence and I was so tired all the time. I felt like I was in my 80's. And...my periods were starting to get very scary-heavy. My LSH is one of the best decisions I ever made for my long term health.

On swelly belly ~post-op~...I had it for about 10 days and then it went down. I was able to get back into my work clothes by 2-3 weeks. Everyone heals at different paces with a hyst...so just give yourself pleny of time.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 11-25-2006, 01:27 PM
My story

Quote:
Originally Posted by kichie
Or maybe I can even just go watch other lessons? Seriously, even just smelling horses makes me feel better (how wierd is that?)

What do you wear when you still have swelly belly and are technically "back" to work etc. ?
As soon as you feel like sitting for longer periods I would think you could most certainly watch lessons. I didn't feel like sitting much until after the first week. I know what you mean about just smelling horses! My goal for walking each day was to make it to the corral where the horses are during the day in the summer (turned out at night). I'd stay on the other side of the fence from them (feeling very protective of my tummy at that time!) but bring peppermint candy treats, and stay and talk to them for awhile.

As for what to wear when back to work, I bought my first pair of stretch pants (I'm a jeans gal). They were great! And I'm still wearing them some to work although I can get into my regular pants now. I got black and wore them with an untucked top and a blazer to work. They didn't make me look too prego and looked professional enough for work. I also bought a pair of jeans that were a size bigger than normal. The normal jeans are about the last thing you feel like wearing after surgery! I can wear them now, but the bigger ones I wore when I rode at first, and when working outside.

Unread 11-25-2006, 03:48 PM
My story

Oh thanks. I was wondering about buying some bigger jeans for when I go back (I also usually wear jeans to work, but I guess I will have to bite the bullet and get some stretch pants. Ick! It's hard to find pants anyhow when you are short.) Thanks again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register