4 weeks post hysterectomy: when did you start Driving | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 weeks post hysterectomy: when did you start Driving 4 weeks post hysterectomy: when did you start Driving

Unread 06-25-2014, 05:46 PM
4 weeks post hysterectomy: when did you start Driving

Hi everyone. I am four weeks post surgery and was wondering when you started to drive. I had a TAH BSO and I have not started driving yet. Did you wait for your doctor's clearance before taking to the wheel? I am pretty sure I can drive but have been a little afraid to try!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2014, 05:56 PM
Re: Driving

I had a TAH and was driving 12 days after. I was off pain meds, not having any pain, and never had any twinges, etc. Drive around your neighborhood and see how you do before trying to go farther. If you can break quick, you should be ok. Did your doc clear you to drive? I didn't have any complications with my recovery at all, and I know that makes a difference for everyone. Good luck!
Unread 06-25-2014, 06:41 PM
Re: Driving

I called my dr a few days after surgery, told her I wasn't taking any pain meds and asked her when I could drive. She let me drive one week post op
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2014, 08:43 PM
Re: 4 weeks post hysterectomy: when did you start Driving

I drove at week 3. Could of sooner but didn't need to. I swear my husband was hitting every pothole in columbus so I was glad to drive myself!
Unread 06-25-2014, 09:05 PM

I had an LAVH and was driving two days after my surgery. Apparently my Dr found out all about it (I had to take my hubby to the ER and then the neurosurgeon three days after that, then I camped out in the hospital with him when he had his back surgery the next day) because at my two week check-up yesterday he said I was making him and the hospital look too good.

~Michele
Unread 06-25-2014, 09:55 PM

My doctor said I could drive as long as I wasn't on pain meds an could break quickly..Due to my family being protective I didn't get to drive until I was 2 weeks out of surgery...
Unread 06-26-2014, 05:28 AM

My Dr cleared me to drive at my appointment at 8 days as long as I wasn't taking Narcs and could stomp on the break if needed. I drove the next day and it was fine.
Unread 06-26-2014, 03:05 PM

Feeling wimpy...

finally drove today! Yeah! But holy smokes, I am now so achy and sore. Took advil and laying here with a cold pack. Figure it is just all the new muscles I've used-I drove all the time before! Was missing my independence. Think I will be happy to be the passenger for a wee bit longer

Cheers,
Unread 06-26-2014, 05:31 PM

Had a hysterectomy on Halloween last year (TAH, kept the ovaries), and on November 17th, I flew to see my mom (short flight, an hour or so), and got a rental car at the airport. Again though, short drive from the airport to my mom's house. No interstate marathons.
Unread 06-26-2014, 06:20 PM
4 weeks post hysterectomy: when did you start Driving

Your Dr will let you know when you can drive but it's very individual. You really need to do what's right for you & yes they'll be individuals who drive a lot earlier than others. My Dr told me to wait 2 weeks, I actually drove for the 1st time around 9 days post op & felt that I could do this. However @ 2 weeks I called my husband @ work to come home as I didn't feel up to driving as I had a brain fog. Go with how you feel on any given day regardless of what anyone else is doing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register