April 7th hysterectomy Scheduled - worried about recovery time; anything I should bring for one night's stay? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

April 7th hysterectomy Scheduled - worried about recovery time; anything I should bring for one night's stay? April 7th hysterectomy Scheduled - worried about recovery time; anything I should bring for one night's stay?

Unread 03-14-2016, 07:37 PM
April 7th hysterectomy Scheduled - worried about recovery time; anything I should bring for one night's stay?

I am having hysterectomy with removal of cervix(had stage 4 dysplasia), and Fallopian tubes. Also placing a bladder sling for incontinence. I feel so unprepared! My pelvis is too short for the DaVinci Robotic surgery, so I am worried the recovery time will be longer. Also worried about missing 6 weeks of work! The break will be nice, but that's a long time with no paycheck

I have to stay 1 night in the hospital. Is there anything I should make sure to remember to bring?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2016, 07:42 PM
Re: April 7th Surgery Scheduled

Mine is one week later on April 14th. Are you able to collect state disability? This site is amazing! Have you found the checkpoints? It has great articles to prepare for your surgery and recovery.
Good luck!
Unread 03-15-2016, 10:47 AM
Re: April 7th hysterectomy Scheduled - worried about recovery time; anything I should bring for one night's stay?

Here is a packing checking to help you but for a one night stay, I recommend packing as little as possible. The hospital will provide you with a gown, slippers, personal care items, etc. Things like lip balm and lotion can be comforting and useful in the dry hospital environment. I found ear plugs and an eye mask to be an absolute must because nurses are in and out of your room so often and machines are beeping constantly. Both helped me get much needed rest. Wear comfy clothes to the hospital and plan to wear those home. Finally, I found having my ipod and earbuds with me helped me relax and drown out everything going on around me. Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2016, 11:12 AM
April 7th hysterectomy Scheduled - worried about recovery time; anything I should bring for one night's stay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimimila View Post
Mine is one week later on April 14th. Are you able to collect state disability? This site is amazing! Have you found the checkpoints? It has great articles to prepare for your surgery and recovery.
Good luck!
Thank you! Yes I can receive short term disability. Unfortunately in NY the max is no where near a regular paycheck. But it must be done and I'm working extra hours on the weekend to try and compensate.
Unread 03-15-2016, 11:21 AM

[quote=sarrie22;4751894]Here is a packing checking to help you but for a one night stay, I recommend packing as little as possible. The hospital will provide you with a gown, slippers, personal care items, etc. Things like lip balm and lotion can be comforting and useful in the dry hospital environment. I found ear plugs and an eye mask to be an absolute must because nurses are in and out of your room so often and machines are beeping constantly. Both helped me get much needed rest. Wear comfy clothes to the hospital and plan to wear those home. Finally, I found having my ipod and earbuds helped.

Thank you, that was very helpful! I definitely agree with the ipod and ear buds.!
Unread 03-16-2016, 04:38 AM

My surgery also involved a one night hospital stay. In addition to what Sarrie22 recommended, I would recommend a lightweight, easy to open water bottle, so you can keep up with your fluid intake. I would also recommend a pen and paper, so you or your support person can write down any important information. Best wishes for your upcoming surgery!
Unread 03-16-2016, 05:53 AM
Re: April 7th hysterectomy Scheduled - worried about recovery time; anything I should bring for one night's stay?

I agree with less is better! I wore in clothes that I wanted to wear out (sundress and flip flops). Brought an extra underwear, toothbrush, a little makeup which I thought would make me feel less sickly ��. I did use my iPad and phone. I didn't use my robe (too much trouble with iv), books (couldnt focus to read). The only thing that I wished I had were hard candy or something because my mouth was so dry that first day.
Unread 03-16-2016, 08:52 PM

I am scheduled for the same day as you and I am alternately calm about it and then massively freaking out. Thanks for posting this, because I am going to use the replies to make my list of what to bring too.

I just had my appendix out in June, and I had no idea it was appendicitis when I went to the ER, I ended up in the hospital overnight with an operation I didn't expect at all. I was thankful to have had my ipod/earbuds, ear plugs, chapstick and phone and journal with me then. The best thing about the Appendectomy was that I didn't have to think about it beforehand... they said, "you're having surgery in an hour" and it was all good.

This time I am also going to leave my rings and earrings at home. You should have seen me trying to pry my wedding ring off literally as they were wheeling me into the operating room.
Unread 03-16-2016, 09:37 PM

That's crazy, I went through the same thing! My appendectomy was June of 2013 though. I did not have the "normal" symptoms. Just really bad upper abdomen pain. That was the first surgery I ever had! I had a terrible experience with a roommate so I am thinking of requesting a private room this time(even if I have to pay out of pocket). I ended up with pneumonia after as well and spiked a fever of 105 about 3 days after surgery. He said I was not breathing deep enough so this time I will be more conscientious of that as well.

My surgery is at 7:45am...originally it was supposed to be 9:45 but they had a cancellation and moved it up. My dr says with the bladder sling it should take about 3 hours. That freaks me out more than the surgery...just seems very long! I am trying not to stress out, and have been reading the pre-op info. I really like the idea of cleaning my bedroom top to bottom and getting my space ready with magazines and stuff I can easily reach.

I will send good vibes your way that day!
Unread 03-16-2016, 09:41 PM

I agree with less is better! I wore in clothes that I wanted to wear out (sundress and flip flops). Brought an extra underwear, toothbrush, a little makeup which I thought would make me feel less sickly . I did use my iPad and phone. I didn't use my robe (too much trouble with iv), books (couldnt focus to read). The only thing that I wished I had were hard candy or something because my mouth was so dry that first day

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely try to remember the throat drops or hard candy!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register