vag or abdominal hyst? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

vag or abdominal hyst? vag or abdominal hyst?

Unread 04-05-2003, 03:58 PM
vag or abdominal hyst?

Hi:

I'm scheduled for a hyst in mid-May due to fibroids. The fibroids are small-medium and are calcified.

I hear the terms vag and abdominal hyst. Is there a reason a dr chooses one over the other? Does it depend whether I want to keep my ovaries or cervix?

The dr said it was up to me whether I removed my ovaries or cervix and I could let her know the day of the surgery!

Are there any pros or cons to either type of hyst? I assume the abdominal hyst means longer recovery time.

Thanks!

Caryn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2003, 04:03 PM
vag or abdominal hyst?

I think your doctor would be the best one to answer that, from the standpoint of your particular circumstances. Also, whether or not you've had a baby, can have a bearing on if they can do a vag. hyst.

Yes, ab hyst has a longer recovery time. My doc told me that with a vag hyst, the cervix has to go, and he could not remove my ovaries vaginally. I'm not sure if it was just on me he couldn't, or it can't be done in general.

My uterus is 3x the size it should be and I have several fibroids (not sure how big they are), and I have cysts on my ovaries, so because my doc couldn't guarantee he could do a vag (because of uterine size) or LAVH (because I'm extra fluffy in my tummy area ), and I wanted my ovaries gone too - I'm having the ab hyst.

HTH!
Unread 04-05-2003, 04:24 PM
vag or abdominal hyst?

I didn't have a choice in the matter. Due to the size of my uterus and fibroids, my told me a vag hyst was not possible.

I think your doctor needs to supply you with more information regarding whether or not you keep your ovaries and cervix. You have to have something to base your decision on. I just think that's a heck of decision to set in your lap with no back-up info. Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but I feel like you're being asked to make a decision without the proper input from your doctor.

Keep reading and learning, Caryn.

HollyG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2003, 04:24 PM
vag or abdominal hyst?

I had an abdom hyst leaving one ovary that will be removed april 14th at which time I will have that same abdom scar opened fun fun good luck honey
Unread 04-05-2003, 05:11 PM
vag or abdominal hyst?

I chose an abdominal. After many painful episiotimies I wanted no stitches anywhere near my vagina ever again. I made the right decision for me. Having sore stomach muscles was way better than a sore bottom.
My DR also wanted to see my ovaries before we kept them just to be sure they were ok. I kept my ovaries for the hormones as I am only 36. Menopause in some 15 or so odd years away for me.
My cervix is gone. Don't miss it a bit. I also didn't want any chance of any bleeding ever again. Excessive bleeding is why I had the surgery in the first place. Keeping the cervix along with the ovaries can produce some bleeding every month. No way. Not for me.
I think the recovery is still the same for either surgery. Roughly 4-8 weeks. I was back work cleaning houses at 6 weeks post from a TAH with no problems. Was having careful outercourse sex at 3 weeks post and full intercourse at 6. Some women don't get that clearance for work and sex at 6 weeks and it doesn't matter which surgery they had. That's because we are all so individual in our healing process that there is no hard and fast rule of thumb. Reading here in the post-op area as well as the pre should help you make a better and informed decision. Good luck
Unread 04-05-2003, 05:38 PM
vag or abdominal hyst?

I had a LAVH/BSO on March 12th. My uterus was the size of a 3 month pregnancy and I had numerous fibroids, which caused me to bleed to anemia every month(along with a scary episode of hemorraging). My doctor was able to remove the uterus only by cutting into it so it would collapse inward and be smaller in size(like folding a sandwich) but he did remove it vaginally, along with the tubes and ovaries. My recovery was easier than I expected. It's been 3 weeks and I have no pain and can do light housework and drive now. Just letting you know that removing an enlarged uterus vaginally can be done...
Unread 04-05-2003, 05:43 PM
vag or abdominal hyst?

My gyn has told me that I have to have an abdominal hyst, but it will be 'subtotal' leaving the ovaries and cervix. The reason for leaving the cervix is, according to him, because I have had 5 c-sections, and it could be 'difficult to get the cervix out' .

I'm not worried about having the same scar reopened.......it's been done 5 times(!!!!), but I'm having this op to stop my periods, and to get rid of my many many fibroids, which although not big,are causing me to have almost constant bleeding, and making me anaemic.

I have read that some women bleed slightly each month after having a hyst, and keeping their cervix and ovaries.............

I NEVER want to bleed again after this op..........................

Vicki x
Unread 04-05-2003, 06:03 PM
keep or loose

If you don't have a cervix, that is one less place you can get cancer.
Unread 04-05-2003, 06:36 PM
vag or abdominal hyst?

Hi, I had vaginal because I also needed repair of rectocele and cystocele and Dr had to go there.
There were several other possibilities:
-he would try to get ovaries and tubes vaginally, but might not be able to (too high, or scar tissue from when I had tubal ligation)
-he would do an abdominal incision if I insisted he get the ovaries

I've already gone through menopause, so had no strong reason to keep the ovaries.
I signed for him to go abdominal if he had to and get the ovaries, but just leave them if that was the only reason to make an abdominal incision. He was able to do everything else vaginally, but could not get the ovaries and tubes.

I had lots of stitching because of all the repair and the recovery has not been bad. I am 4 and 1/2 weeks past surgery, stayed in the hospital one day and have used very little pain medication.
Unread 04-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Vaginal !!

If your uterus is still small enough to have a vag do so. My TVH was
Dec. 27 and I had the surgery that Friday, went home on Sunday. I've had no recovery issues and I felt so much better right away after carrying a multitude of fibroids, bleeding all the time, back aches and just feeling miserable.
Bren

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register