Countdown to Surgery! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Countdown to Surgery! Countdown to Surgery!

Unread 01-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Re: Countdown to Surgery Feb 16th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonna4 View Post
Hi Sunset!
My Da Vinci surgery is scheduled for February 17th and I am very anxious even tho I totally trust my doctor and have a lot of support from my husband and family. I have a long list of questions to ask at my pre-op on Feb. 7th. This site has been really helpful and has answered a lot of my questions already. at this point I'm ready to get it over with. Good luck! I'll be thinking about you.
My Pre Op is Feb 18th and I have a long list of questions. And thinking of more each day. My main concern is Doc said we are removing all but one ovary. My ovaries look good according to doc. But Cervix was not discussed. I know kind of embarrassing to ask but I read on here that you will not experience orgasms if this is removed? That sexual experience is changed forever? Some says it needs to go they glad its gone some say leave it?? Some say dont leave that one ovary you will probably have more problems?? uggghh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlprell View Post
Yes, as I have learned on this website, daVinci is the robot. Before I got on this site, I just referred to my surgery as "robotic laparoscopic total hysterectomy" (removed uterus and cervix)
From my experience so far, in my opinion, here's some of my feedback.
1. If you have an option to stay overnight in the hospital overnight, DO IT.
2. The air/gas pressure for the first 4 to 5 days can be almost unbearable. Look for ways/suggestions on relieving this.
3. I highly suggest planning ahead concerning post-op bowel movements. I stocked up on glycerin suppositories, saline enemas, stool softeners, gas pills, fiber powder, etc. before my surgery. I did not give my bowels a chance to get stopped up. I made sure I was 'all cleaned out' before going in for surgery that way I had the situation under control when I got home. My first bowel movement after surgery took a few days, but it wasn't a problem.
I also recommend having something on-hand for nausea. I had some pretty bad episodes of nausea through my 4th post-op day.
4. REST - I read a bunch of unrealistic 2-week recovery stories and have pushed myself too hard. I am taking a few steps back and resting more in my 3rd week.
5. My really loose-waisted flannel pajamas have been my friend. Be sure you have a couple of sets of super comfy pj's that don't fit tight on your waist.
6. Pantiliners - I have had to use one every day so far for little bits of discharge/leakage. I did have some bleeding on day 12.

I'll post more if I thnk of anything.
Thank you. One of my friends that have been thru this said you know they are going to blow you up with that gas your going to be miserable. Well no I didn't know that but it makes since so they can get to what they need to in there. But your saying I need to start kind of cleaning out before surgery this will help. And thanks for grocery list...suppositories, enemas, something for nausea..check! Have plenty of liners and pads wont get rid of them as of yet. Staying over night wasn't really an option offered but said they do surgery and I am back out the door unless there are problems that make it necessary to stay. I would so much rather be home...anymore helpful hints are very welcome thank you for sharing...hope your feeling well.
Unread 01-26-2012, 07:21 PM

I am also counting down to my surgery on Feb. 10th. Mine is a total abdominal hysterectomy. I am looking to the future of no more visits from Flo and more spontaneity. Good Luck to all of you!!! I'll see you on the other side and in the post op forums.
Unread 01-28-2012, 06:10 AM
Re: Countdown to Surgery!

Hi Prickly Rose! Not too much longer to go! Keep us updated! Hope everything goes smoothly!

I found where I had a typo in a post...oops. My pre op appt is Feb 8 not the 18th which would be after my surgery...=)
Unread 01-28-2012, 08:18 AM

To all you pre-0p ladies, best wishes.
Best thing I ever did!

I did not have pain like some of you have mentioned, but did have extremely heavy, flooding periods which dominated my life.
No pain at all post op. Fantastic recovery, because my family and me made sure I did not overdo ANYTHING for 6 weeks, and rested a lot since then. Weight will go on a bit but that is the least of your worries.
Hope you don't get one of the Drs who say you are "Back to normal" within 5 days of surgery just because you have had DaV method.
The same internal bits have still gone and you need time to heal them. Only the external bits from DaV might heal quicker that an Abdo incision.
I have had it on good authority that you can still orgasm without the cervix. Sex is often better for some. You still have the clitoris which is another erotic zone.
Take care and give time for cervix to heal before trying though, because you can get a bit of bleeding if it's too soon
Unread 01-30-2012, 04:25 AM

Thanks Mrs. LibraryLady post like yours from someone that has recently been there and had a good experience makes me feel alot better about facing the surgery.
My doc said I would be okay to go back to work in two weeks, will be "back to normal" I hope this will be the case!
Unread 01-30-2012, 06:44 AM

Thanks for all great input!
  Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvStryker View Post
Yes, as I have learned on this website, daVinci is the robot. Before I got on this site, I just referred to my surgery as "robotic laparoscopic total hysterectomy" (removed uterus and cervix)
From my experience so far, in my opinion, here's some of my feedback.
1. If you have an option to stay overnight in the hospital overnight, DO IT.
2. The air/gas pressure for the first 4 to 5 days can be almost unbearable. Look for ways/suggestions on relieving this.
3. I highly suggest planning ahead concerning post-op bowel movements. I stocked up on glycerin suppositories, saline enemas, stool softeners, gas pills, fiber powder, etc. before my surgery. I did not give my bowels a chance to get stopped up. I made sure I was 'all cleaned out' before going in for surgery that way I had the situation under control when I got home. My first bowel movement after surgery took a few days, but it wasn't a problem.
I also recommend having something on-hand for nausea. I had some pretty bad episodes of nausea through my 4th post-op day.
4. REST - I read a bunch of unrealistic 2-week recovery stories and have pushed myself too hard. I am taking a few steps back and resting more in my 3rd week.
5. My really loose-waisted flannel pajamas have been my friend. Be sure you have a couple of sets of super comfy pj's that don't fit tight on your waist.
6. Pantiliners - I have had to use one every day so far for little bits of discharge/leakage. I did have some bleeding on day 12.

I'll post more if I thnk of anything.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register