The day before...... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The day before...... The day before......

Unread 07-21-2003, 08:19 AM
The day before......

My operation is scheduled for tomorrow. I will begin the "purge" around 2 pm. I am still very scared, however, fee it is the right thing to do. My husband is so helpful - he scared for me too.

I think I have everything.

Slippers (flip flops)
pajamas
eye covers
loose dress to leave in
candy for the nurses
shampoo and the toiletries
pillow

Is there anything else I am forgetting? When will I be able to drink water? Eat? Really, will I feel well enough to shower in the hospital? How many days do you think I will be in a hospital gown? MY doctor says I will be in post op the entire time and expect to let me go home on Saturday. Tuesday to Saturday is a long time, is it not?

Thanks for your advice. If it weren't for this forum I'd be lost. Please say prayers for faith and strength. Celeste
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2003, 08:24 AM
The day before......

Celeste -- The only other things I'd take would be lip balm (chapstick or some other lip moisturizer) and some magazines, just in case you feel like reading. I didn't the first two days, but by the third day I was ready for a little diversion. People and US magazines worked well, because you could read just a bit then put them down if you wanted to.

I know exactly how you are feeling -- I'm just a little over a week past my surgery. I'm doing very well, and I'm sure you will too!

Post when you come home from the castle and let us know how you're doing. I'll be thinking about you tomorrow.

Best of luck!
Helen
Unread 07-21-2003, 08:41 AM
The day before......

Celeste,
I was told I will be in 4 to 5 days so Tuesday to Saturday sounds about right.

My prayers are with you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2003, 08:42 AM
I agree

about the magazines....and the best part is that even if you read them in the hospital and amuse yourself you will get to read the again later cause you won't really remember what your read It will depend on your doctor as to how soon you eat and drink. I never had solid food until I came home from hospital...I was there 4 days! As for showering, that will probably depend solely on how you feel. We will ray: for you and remember behave or the will come after you!
Unread 07-21-2003, 08:44 AM
lol

that was suppose to be ray:
Unread 07-21-2003, 08:47 AM
oops

Unread 07-21-2003, 09:03 AM
The day before......

Hi Celeste! Don't worry. You'll do fine. This is just one of those times, that you have to turn over the control to your Father in heaven. I know that's easier said than done. He sent me little signs to let me know that everything was going to be all right. Hope He sends you some too. Don't worry. He'll be in control. Now about your questions. I only had to spend one night in the castle. I didn't shower there. I came home and crashed. Showered the next day at home. I was a little dizzy still, but totally felt up to the shower. It was wonderful! I didn't need any help from hubby. They usually want you to wait 48 hours before getting wet. I would advise you to shower right before going in. My pre-op nurses said use Dial anti-bacteria soap. I bought a Buff Puff and scrubbed away. No infection here & I've had a wonderful recovery. (Only had two pain pills at home & have been on Advil ever since.) On things I brought to the castle...I brought stuff to read - magazines and a teacher book. I didn't read them, but my mom did. She said the teacher book was interesting. I can't believe she read it. It was about how to administer a reading test! I brought panties with strong tummy support. I would not live without them. I didn't buy a size larger or anything. I figured with my 4 month pregnancy sized uterus, my tummy would be going down not up. The swelling did not exceed my pregnancy size. The support is great because it eases pain when you have to walk or move. I never used a tummy pillow. I brought my meds from home - the doc said to. I brought gum for dry mouth and lipstick for dry lips plus my makeup. I never go anywhere without it. I packed some peanut butter and cracker packs for my family in case they got hungry. When I woke up from surgery, I was in my room. They brought me ice chips. I ate tons of them all night long. Mom kept me supplied. The meds made me have a very very very dry mouth. Did I say very enough? That was very helpful, because on the third day, I had my BM. I was on a lot of anti-sickness meds and a patch for motion sickness as well. Never got sick this time! I did keep my eyes shut for a long time because I had double vision for a while. So if you feel sick, keep your eyes shut. One of the sisters told me this and it really works! I had a liquid supper the night of my surgery and a liquid breakfast...then they brought me another breafast (eggs and bacon) and that was great! I guess they want to see if your stomach can handle it. I was in the hospital gown until they took out the cath the next day. It felt great to finally get out of that bed. My back was starting to hurt from staying in the same position. I sat in a chair most of the next morning and even walked down to the nursery to see a friend who had just had a baby. I had my TAH on Thursday morning and went home at 6:30 the next day. My doc says that sometimes she has patients that do really well (like me) but most have to stay until Saturday. Your hospital stay does seem long. Are they doing more than a TAH? Oh, one more thing. I brought a small quilt that my great grandmother made for comforting. I never used it, but it was nice to know it was there to comfort me if I needed it. A security blanket...so to speak. My "Mamma Shepard" was a wonderful lady. She made clothes for me when I was little. I remember playing under her kitchen table. It was oak and had those huge claw feet. She had breast cancer and made it through fine. Just thought it would be nice to have her spirit around me when I needed her the most. I wish you THE BEST for your surgery. Hope this helps. Just think of the long line of hystersisters, who has done this before you. Just release yourself to the power of God and your fellow sisters who love you. Blessings.
Unread 07-21-2003, 09:15 AM
Celeste

Another item to take is a very light weight robe--for :walk :in hospital gown down the halls don't want to moon anyone

Be thinking and praying for you today and tomorrow. Let us know how you are doing as soon as you are up to it.

Remember be a good rest, walk and drink plenty of fluids.
Unread 07-21-2003, 09:16 AM
Thank you so much

I will buy lots of silly magazines. I am preparing lunch for my husband. I am going to have a little too, cause I'm hungry! Then off to "purging" it!
Your reply was wonderul and lifted my spirits. Thank you!
Unread 07-21-2003, 09:38 AM
The day before......

((((((((Celeste)))))))))),

Best wishes for tomorrow and don't forget COUGH DROPS TOO !!!!!!!!!

See you on the post side,

Pamcat

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register