What to give up? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to give up? What to give up?

Unread 07-17-2002, 09:23 AM
What to give up?

Lately I have been scheduled for a hystorectomy. I had 2 surgeons agree that I needed to do it but they disagree on what I should have out. One thinks I should keep an ovary if it's still in good shape but ditch the cervix and the other thinks I should keep the cervex but have everything else out. I have a history of endo., had surgery in 1989 to remove it and they think I have it again. Does anyone have any wisdom on what to keep and why? Also, I tried birth control for a short time and didn't get along with them so what does that mean for hrt after surgery? I'm a little nervous about what will be the outcome of my surgery. I'm scheduled for a laparoscopy assisted but it depends on whether or not they think they can do it all without compromising the bladder. I may still get an abdominal and I won't know till I wake up. I'm concerned about lasting effects more than the recovery period. Will I have bladder difficulties, will I be able to do hrt, will sex be a problem? Any assurances, info you can give?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2002, 10:02 AM
What to keep and not?

Hi there,

That is a tough question for anyone to ask, not only the surgeon but individuals like you. I happen to be an endo sufferer and I did all the research I can. My situation is family heredity, estogen feeds the endo so I got both ovaries out as it will feed on the endo. I also got my cervix removed. It just gives me more of a reassurance of not getting or better word reducing cervical cancer. I know I may still get cancer if it decide to pop up but at least I know my chances of getting it is reduced. What is the point of keeping the cervix? for what? Ask your doctor. If your ovary(ies) are working, then you will be encouraging the endo grow after you had it removed. You will have a major surgery 1) removal of the uterus, 2) removal of the ovaries (if you should decide to do that) 3) cremoving the cervix and closing the gap and 4) remove all the endo if it is there. You might as well get it all done once to save yourself from going back for another surgery to remove the endo. My understanding that they will cut yuagain if the endo is returned as he needs to be able to see it in all corners that at times are hard to see through the scope. Maybe your doctor is better skilled that he can master this without cutting you open again in the future. This is another question you may want to ask him. Do expect him to be up front with you so you can make proper decision for yourself. He is not going to suffer but maybe will regret it for not doing so in the first place. You are the one who will have to live with this decision and any problems that comes with it you will have to live with it too. Do all your research! Check out all the webs here in this site. I hope that I have put in my 2 cents into this and have helped you somewhat. What ever you decide, we are behind you all the way!

Dale
Unread 07-17-2002, 11:59 AM
What to give up?

Yoohooooo

I'm having my TAH/LSO (poss BSO) on July 30. I'm 28, married with no kidlets. Because of the endo, I was concerned about leaving an ovary in..but because of my age (and even my family history of breast and cervical cancer wasn't a major concern for my doctor), it was felt that leaving one ovary if possible, would be the smarter choice for me.

I'm actually going a little nuts today...panicking completely. Ah well..gimme some coffee and I'll just talk myself down a little *grin*.

Tess
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2002, 12:35 PM
To Tess

I'm a little nuts too. I was supposed to have this done already 7/2 but the day before they told me it had to be postponed till Aug 8. I am 44, have had 5 miscarriages (all 1st Trimester) and have personally given up on kids since I now have my elderly parents living with me to take care of till they're gone. I have had many years of trouble with endo and fertility meds are no fun, especially when the outcome was so disappointing for me personally. After 5 I decided that I could always adopt if I still needed to do that in my life. At this point I have no plans for it but after my folks die (they're terminal) you never know. I'm sorry you're so nervous. I relate since I just about went nuts for a couple days before my last scheduled date for surgery. I am still nervous about outcome and I still have to make some decisions here but I want to get it over with. I wish I had done it years ago but they weren't open to it when I was your age. I still don't know what to say about keeping the ovary and cervix especially since after all the anquish of deciding they'll still do what is necessary in the end. Keep us posted about your progress. : )

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register