Staples Out Monday | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Staples Out Monday Staples Out Monday

Unread 08-12-2006, 09:41 AM
Staples Out Monday

I'm getting my staples out on Monday. Any advice, ladies? Take a pain pill before the appointment? Take a bullet to bite on? A whiskey flask?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2006, 09:51 AM
Staples Out Monday

Hehe. You could bite the Doctor if the pain is too much!

Actually, it shouldn't be too bad. You may wish to take a couple of Advil (or your painreliever of choice) about an hour before your appointment.

Mine were taken out about 48 hours after surgery, I hardly noticed. Of course, I was still taking some pretty good drugs at the time.
Unread 08-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Staples Out Monday

I had a TVH so no abdominal incision for staples but I had a couple staples from the TVT that was done. I went in last Monday to have them removed and didn't even know he pulled them out. It hurt more when he took off the bandage that was on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2006, 10:49 AM
Staples Out Monday

Yes take all of the above but only for fun, I went back and had them removed 5 days after my surgery and there was no pain and it was over in a matter of minutes.
Unread 08-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Staples Out Monday

Actually having the staples removed was easier than having stitches removed. It just felt like a few little bug stings. I did it cold turkey - now meds. The only thing is, your incision will be numb. That freaked me out. It was (and still is) the weirdest feeling to be numb there. At 7 weeks, I have not gotten any surface feeling back in my incision. My dr. said it could take months or even never get the full feeling back. I will just have to get used to it. Good luck at your appt. and don't worry, it doesn't hurt.

Hugs and good luck!
Unread 08-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Staples Out Monday

I had my vertical staples removed right before I left the hospital on day 4 after surgery. I did not feel a thing, and I had 50 of them removed! I may have had some pain killer still in my system, but I remember being totally lucid, talking to the doctor as she took them off, alternating with putting surgi-strips on. I don't think I said "ouch" once, and I admit that I am a chronic complainer!
Unread 08-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Staples Out Monday

Friend, I had 20 staples removed before I left the hospital on day 4. It did not hurt - only on one staple could I feel a slight pull. If you are worried, you could take the Advil prior to your post op.
Unread 08-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Staples Out Monday

He he, OK, you guys have convinced me not to worry. I may take the whiskey flask just in case.
Unread 08-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Staples Out Monday

Mine were taken out before I was released from the hospital, three days after surgery. They did not hurt, and I watched!! One little tug on one and that was it. Let them know you are nervous, don't watch, think happy thoughts and it will be over before you know it.
Unread 08-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Staples Out Monday

I take a pain pill before everything, so a pain pill is ok. But it's really nothing; a few pinches. That's it. You can save the flask for something else. Unless of course, you just have to have it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register