Am I strange? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I strange? Am I strange?

Unread 04-27-2004, 05:38 PM
Am I strange?

I think we are just trying to make the best of a bad situation. Trying to be positive about something that HAS to happen. No need to take away from that or assume we don't understand the risks of the surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2004, 05:41 PM
Am I strange?

I would trade off sexual issues to dying of cancer.. but thanks for "shaking my shoulders"
Unread 04-27-2004, 05:51 PM
Am I strange?

You said a mouth full, Jenny! For some, the hysterectomy seems to be a gift. I too went through many years of hellish periods. And the misery got worse with every passing month. I couldn't wait to have my SAH (12 days ago). And even though it is painful and tiring, I thank my lucky stars that I was able to have it done. It would be impossible to hang out at these forums for very long reading what others have written and not see that there are risks involved in a surgery such as this. Unfortunately, many do experience problems during and following a hysterectomy. But you're right... You can fret over the possibilities or you can go into this thinking and feeling optomistic.
On to the castle to receive your crown!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2004, 05:54 PM
Am I strange?

I'm very fortunate. I'm not going to lose my ovaries, unless there's something else lurking in there we don't know about. I should have an easy recovery as compared to a lot of my fellow sisters. I understand that some women aren't as lucky as me. I feel for them each and every day. Each of us came to this board on a search for answers. Along with those answers, very scary ones at that, we have found friendship and companionship in a time of great fear and anxiety. I'm very grateful for that. Don't think I haven't read the post-op forum. I just CHOOSE to think positive...in the hopes it will make my trip to the castle less stressful.

God Bless You,

Jenny, 32
LAVH scheduled May 4, 2004
Unread 04-27-2004, 06:12 PM
My last one

For any of the women who have/had cancer my heart goes out to them, a hyst is the only way to get rid of this and is completely 100% necessary to save a life. We can't debate this, many would argue this is the only time a hyst is necessary and I don't think you would get anyone claiming it would not be necessary if you had cancer.

What I am specifically talking about is women who are going into this who do not have a life threatening illness.

Look, to be honest I am sorry I even posted this. If I offended anyone, I apologise. I hope all your surgeries go well.
Unread 04-27-2004, 06:44 PM
Am I strange?

I'm so sorry that my post sounded so rude, I'm just very frustrated with life right now... now I can't stop crying because I'm even being mean to my online sisters....

When will it end!!!???!!!!

I'm sorry for my post and I didn't mean to sound so mean.. I'm really not a mean person

T
Unread 04-27-2004, 07:02 PM
Am I strange?

I am getting this hyst because of a precancerous condition, but if I were to think of all the things that could happen in the future I would never have had the courage to say yes to the surgery. I keep those types of thoughts in the back of my head and imagine life without all the bleeding, pain and cancer down the road. But I do understand your post and we do need to know the other side of this as well but i'm not sure I am ready to realize that yet.

Heather
Unread 04-27-2004, 07:03 PM
katiebelle - don't apologise

katiebelle

No need for an apology.

You are going through a really tough time right now, not just with the upcoming surgery but with cervical dysplasia which is very nasty.

Unfortunately I don't see that you really have a great choice since you have been unsuccessfully fighting this for some time.

I am sorry if my post offended you, I can understand if it did because your surgery is necessary. I can also understand that you are very upset and on an emotional rollercoaster right now.

Please try to take care of yourself and I know you are not a mean person. If we can't vent here with each other then who can we vent with?

Remember I know you are not a mean person, in fact I would bet you are a very kind person.
Unread 04-27-2004, 07:06 PM
Am I strange?

Thank you for your reassurring words Aus Chick... I should update my profile, as my last path tests came back showing cancer.... I've just been a little edgy lately as I feel like I don't have a choice in the matter... anyhoo.... I don't want to get into a long drawn out post about it.. I just want you to know there are no hard feelings

Unread 04-27-2004, 09:14 PM
Mind/Body Connection

I'm not really responding to any one post here. However, I just wanted to add a little note that studies do show that there is a great advantage to thinking positively about your surgery and outcome in the preceding days. Those who visualize a successful surgery, incisions healing nicely, and envision themselves getting back to a "normal" life quickly are much, much more likely to have more successful surgeries and outcomes.

As a matter of fact, due to these studies, it's become more common for anesthesiologists to repeat positive phrases as patients go under before their surgery so that they have a more positive "mindset" going in.

It is certainly smart to find out all of the possible complications, common or uncommon, and try to do what you can in advance to lessen your risks. But, ultimately, an optimistic mind is a very powerful tool. Your mind controls your body, not vice versa.

My heart truly goes out to those who have had horrible experiences... and I wish all those going into surgery "happy thoughts".

Jwlz
33 - TAH May 25th

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register