Will removing ovary help pain????? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will removing ovary help pain????? Will removing ovary help pain?????

Unread 11-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Will removing ovary help pain?????

HI All

Its been awhile since I posted. I too have been suffering pain since my TAH (kept left ovary) in March 05 (endo/adeno, scar tissue etc). The pain is mainly on my left side hip area and is worse when I stand up, have a full bladder, bowel movement etc and also cyclic. After trying pain management, another course of Synarel, Im back in for another laparoscopy this Friday the 1st. My doctor said she will go in and have a look to see if my endo is back, get rid of any adhesions and then after the op discuss the with me the possibility of removing my remaining ovary (she won't do it all at the same time). I was just wondering if anybody has had pain relief once the ovaries were gone. It has got to the stage where I've finally had to give up full time work because of the pain,fatigue and stress and my employer didn't like me going off to drs appointments during work hours etc. Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2006, 11:51 PM

I had left sided pain for over a year. My dr did a lapro last Sept to look for cause. He didn't see anything. He had done a tvt and AP first. I was back to him in July because of continuing pain and found out I had a reoccurring rectocele and enterocele(grade 3) Before going into surgery I asked my dr to remove my ovaries. I will have had 6 abdominal surgeries and didn't want anymore. I am already menopausal anyway and on HRT. It ended up I had a 5cm cyst on my left ovary. He removed the cyst and there wasn't much ovary left, so he removed it. I haven't had that left sided pain since. Today I was feeling the same type of pain on my right ovary area. I had a 5 cm cyst on it 2 1/2 years ago during my hyst. The dr removed the cyst.
I believe it helped me.
Peggy
Unread 11-29-2006, 03:35 PM

back Ozjules,
I am sorry that it's because you're having continuing problems. I didn't keep my ovaries at the time of my hyst, but can tell you that removing my ovaries has not resolved all my pain issues. I don't how much is attributable to surgical menopause, the surgery or just my broken down body.

Do keep in mind everyone is different. Do your research, take your time and discuss all your options with your doctor. Perhaps your surgery on the 1st will provide you and your doctor with more information regarding the pain you are dealing with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2006, 02:56 PM

Dear Ozjules:

I had lots of pain before AND after my hyster (BSO); we were sent to a neurological surgeon who kindly told me that my previous surgeries (5) had caused a certain nerve to "feel pain"--hence, nerve damage at the ovary site. He told me nerves heal about a millimeter per month, be patient. I was on heavy duty narcotics, and believe it or not, the pain HAS gone. Just another idea. Of course, I had awful chocolate cysts on my ovaries before which were painful too, as well as organs attached where they should not be. A good neurologist deals with all kinds of pain, causes of pain, and phantom pain. In my humble opinion, they are an often overlooked but very knowledgeable class of docs.

Love, Briar Rose
Unread 12-02-2006, 02:32 AM

Thanks for your responses ladies. I had my laparoscopy yesterday and have just come home from hospital. My doctor said that my bowel had adhered to the abdomen wall, and my left ovary also had adhesions and the endometriosis was back so she diathermyed what she could. I have to go back and see her in the new year for a follow up and to see what the next course of action (if any) to take. I was hoping the endo was gone for good.
Unread 12-02-2006, 05:17 AM

Dear Ozjules:

So glad they found what was causing your pain with a minimally invasive surgery! Thank God you were able to keep your ovary, too!
Heal well; be a PRINCESS, give your body time before you head back to work. Lots of love,
Briar Rose
Unread 12-03-2006, 02:48 AM

Thanks Briar, I don't think I will be rushing back to working until the new year. I've forgotten how rotten you can feel after an op even if its done laparoscopy. I feel like my tummy is about to explode today. Must be all the gas they fill you with. I feel like i did when I first came home after my hysterectomy. Im sure I'll recover sooner though.
Thank you again for you advice and words of encouragement.
Jules
Unread 12-03-2006, 05:01 AM

Hi Ozjules:
I hope you feel better soon. I know laparoscopy is no joke; I have had 6 altogether. I looked like I was 5 months pregnant from all the gas and swelling, had to make cuts in my undies. ugh. I actually sang after my first BM!

My good doc (back then) gave me his humble opinionated advice that worked wondersfor healing and soothing the cuts: a capful of clean hydrogen peroxide poured in now and then, air dry, keep bandaid on for a bit. I rarely scarred and never had an infection.
I can't get to a computer for quite a while so Merry Christmas to you and all my hystersisters! May it be a truly terrific one! I hope to be healed of some major depression myself, that is my Christmas wish.
Love, Briar Rose
Unread 12-03-2006, 02:09 PM

Okay, I have to ask a dumb question. What is rectocele and enterocele? From the post that I have read about it, it seems something like a porlapse of the vaginal walls after surgery. (?) I will be doing more research, but was curious.

Nancy
Unread 12-03-2006, 02:26 PM

Never mind. I found the answer on Web MD. Thanks though! (o=

Nancy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register