Heavy Flow | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-18-2002, 07:10 AM
Heavy Flow

Hello everyone,

Today is the 2nd day of my period and it is absolutely heavy. I have gone through 4 pads in less than 4 hours and for the first time, I can actually feel it flowing out together with the blood clots (sorry for the indelicate description). I have a large fibroid and enlarged uterus. Hyst. scheduled in July and Lupron shots to start tomorrow for 3 months. I am still at work and feeling very worrried. Should I call my gynae and are there any medicine which can help me, or will the Lupron injection tomorrow helps? Anyone out there had the same problems before? Please help!
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 08:51 AM
Heavy Flow

I had one lupron shot and quit taking them after that one. I had terrible headaches and the nausea was overwhelming. The lupron shots are supposed to stop or slow down the periods only after the second shot. I only took the first but the pain was stronger and the period was worse. Hope this was just an effect for me and won't be for you. I have endo/enlarged uterus and not fibroids so maybe it will have different effect.

Good Luck
Unread 04-18-2002, 09:05 AM
Heavy Flow

See how the injection goes first. 4K's reaction may be a fluke. If not, comfort that your surgery is coming soon.

Yes, heavy periods are normal with fibroids. Mine got so bad on my 2nd day I'd go through an overnight pad in less than an hour. Even the new O.B. Ultras only lasted an hour on bad days. And, yeah, lots of ugly clots. It's why you're having surgery, so try to relax, you'll be ok.

Lucky me, my surgery was timed so I got one more period the week before. After surgery, on one of my outings, I bought 2 pairs of white shorts. YAY! No more living in black pants every 3 weeks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 09:05 AM
Heavy Flow

My doctor recommended taking Ibuprofen to help stop my heavy bleeding. He said I could take up to four at a time. You might want to check with your doctor before doing this though.

Other than that (which really didn't work that well for me) make sure you take a good iron supplement to counteract the possibility of anemia and drink lots of fluids so you don't become dehydrated.

I have my last period coming up in a few days and I am dreading it so much. I just started feeling somewhat back to normal after dragging around lifeless for months. My bleeding was so bad that I was going through 8 super plus tampons (doubled up) and a pad every hour for four to five hours at a time. No wonder I ended up in the hospital!

You might also check out this thread https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=57291 where suggestions were made as to how to stop heavy bleeding. (I'm not getting into THAT again! I was so embarrassed by my own suggestion in that thread, I almost changed my user name!)

Good luck! I know what you are going through. Just hang in there. Relief is in sight!

Lisa

Unread 04-18-2002, 09:10 AM
Heavy Flow

I can relate to the heavy bleeding & I'm sorry you are going through this! I hope you have called your doc and explained what you are going through, please let us know what the doctor says!

Sara
Unread 04-18-2002, 09:58 AM
Hi hongwah

Hang in there. The heavy bleeding is awful to deal with but you will be okay. If there is any reason to believe you are dangerously anemic then call the doctor. As your surgery is not until July please make sure the doc is keeping an eye on this.

And by the way, Sashi, I have passed your suggestion on curbing the bleeding on to others. No I did not use your name so you don't have to change it. I thought it was great.

Good luck to you.

Unread 04-18-2002, 02:05 PM
Heavy Flow

Thanks for the advise. I have just got back home 2 hours ago and the flow has reduced a little (at least it is not pouring out anymore). When I read about abnormal bleeding, I cannot fully understand the concern until today and I was really really worried! Thought for a moment that they will have to call the ambulance for me and I will be taken off from my work place with blood dripping out of me...what a scary scenerio. It was very scary when I just finished putting on a new pad and then before I can step out of the washroom, another round of 'flooding' happened and soaked through the pad. Ran out of pads and was lucky that another lady there was helpful and ran to her office to get me hers. The ladies at work was wonderful today and everyone was very concerned. Thank you so much for replying everyone! and thanks for the wonderful wonderful advise! Will definitely try the 'remedy' if it happens again tomorrow at work! <grin> Talked to the gynae just now and will go in for a check up tomorrow. Just wondering how he'd check me with all the blood and mess.... Bye...hongwah
Unread 04-19-2002, 02:45 AM
Heavy Flow

Hi there...

The flooding is SUCH a scary situation. I work with 1 other woman but with 35 men in an large open room and I was dealing with that from December through March. I can't even tell you how prepared I had to be. I would come to work in the morning and bring a gym bag with a change of clothes, my pocketbook and my keys and coat and leave it in the ladies room. At any moment during the day, I would stand up and then have to run off the floor, into the ladies room, clean up as best I could and leave for home. The guys never really knew exactly what was up, but my boss and the receptionist knew that I could be gone for the day at any time.

It was horrible. I had multiple episodes where I was bleeding through a pad AND a superplus tampon every 15 minutes for two - three hours at a time. Very scary. I would carry the phone with me to the bathroom because I was so worried that I was hemmoraging to death. Ugh!

Because of that, my surgery had to be postponed because my blood count dropped to 6.5. I just had my second shot of Lupron, which stopped the bleeding (I was bleeding 24/7 for two months) after one week and it has been incredible. The only side effects have been hot flashes and that's easy to deal with compared to the other! Energy is returning and hopefully combined with my religious iron taking, so is my blood count. Surgery is now scheduled for March 20 and after this experience I am positive that I want that. Life can be good! I'm excited to feel like this permanently!

Good Luck! And make sure you are taking that iron!

Shannon
Unread 04-19-2002, 08:40 AM
Heavy Flow

Shannon,
Your experience is the same as me last month.. that is why I called and set up appointment. I said asap......... didnt know it would be set up for less than two weeks away.

I normally have horrid periods..... but the last one scared the heck out of me. I got so weak and pasty white I sort of passed out twice in a few hour time frame. (I was able to make it somewhere to lay down, put feet up first).
BUT I was doing a clients hair...... and someone had to take over for me.
I was use to horrible...... but that last one sent me over the edge.

I of course NOW think....... maybe that was a fluke.. and they will never be like that again....... am I doing the right thing.. etc.

BUT how can anyone live like that? It does seem like that is way way too much for anyone to have to go through.
Dont mind me, I am nuts........... I go back and forth... its the "LIW dance".. lol
take care
xoxo Donna
Unread 04-19-2002, 09:02 AM
Heavy Flow

Hi Shannon,

I'm the one who started the thread that Lisa was talking about as a result of experiences very similar to yours. I was so dreading my next menstruation but thanks to that info I'm feeling like there may be some 'management techniques' I can employ!

Still waiting for a date for my surgery so I know that I have at least one, maybe two more periods to endure and I wonder if the stress of the anticipation of hemmoragh-like bleeding hasn't actually contributed to its intensity. Just hoping that the 'remedy' works. (After these two threads, I can't help giggling at the thought of LIWs all over the world taking extra-long lunch breaks for 'medicinal purposes'!)

Good luck to you,
Cecee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register