Recovery differences between Abdominal and Vaginal Hysterectomies | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery differences between Abdominal and Vaginal Hysterectomies Recovery differences between Abdominal and Vaginal Hysterectomies

Unread 12-12-2005, 07:27 PM
Recovery differences between Abdominal and Vaginal Hysterectomies

Going into this, I thought I would have an easier recovery because I was having a vaginal hysterectomy. Not cutting through abdominal muscles, I thought meant quicker healing time.

The more I read, the more I see that it is basically the same healing processes. Everyone gets the bloated stomach? Hundreds of internal stitches both types?

Just wondering what exactly what to expect. I know everyone is different, but sheesh, here I thought I would have it easier.

I am getting more nervous the closer it comes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2005, 07:35 PM

Chocolover- I had a lavh/bso Nov 22 and I'm doing great. I also had a bladder sling done which left me with a 4 inch incision in my pubic line, that and the holes for the scope are the only things that are sensitive. I have had no pain at all from the hysterectomy at all. I know that I still have the recovery period as an abdominal hysterectomy, but I am so glad that mine could be done vaginally. I feel great. I have followed my Drs. instructions as far as rest and lifting, etc. and I think that this is the way to go.
Unread 12-12-2005, 07:38 PM

Do you have a bloated belly? What meds did you take for pain? Sounds like you had a great experience-all things considering anyway! I am glad it went well for you, and hope I can be just like you. ; )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2005, 07:45 PM

I had an abdominal hysterectomy with a midline, vertical incison.

My friends who had vaginal hysterectomies said I bounced back alot faster than they did.

Suprising!

Sweet Pea
Unread 12-12-2005, 07:48 PM

Sweet Pea, I want your secret to a fast recovery also.
Unread 12-12-2005, 08:04 PM

Hmmmmm, I would have to say that I did everything I could to try to be in good shape before hand. I tied to get out and walk every night before surgery. And, I am not a workout queen-and I am 43 years old.

On first thought, I have to give credit to an extraordinary surgeon. My surgery turned out to be far more complicated than we had both anticipated. I had to have a myomectomy prior to my uterus being removed due to its size. I had 2 cantelope size fibroids removed first-which resulted in a blood loss of over a liter-they had 2 units ready to give me-fortunately, my hemaglobin was good going into surgery-so I did not have to have a transfusion. Second he found endo that had adhered my ovaries to my lower bowel and resulted in an unplanned BSO.

For recovery, I would say, if you do not need alot of pain meds, avoid them. They slow you down and constipate you. I had a morphine pump for the first 24 hours and then only took 1 Darvocet for pain on night 2-that was it for the narcotic pain killers. I did have a shot of Demerol on night 3 before he removed a drain that was placed in surgery. I also took Ibuprofen every 8 hours around the clock for the first week or so as well as gas meds and stool softners. Drink, drink, drink...juice and water...no carbonated beverages-they will give you gas. Do not drink with a straw either for awhile.

I got out of bed and began walking the day after surgery-although I was woozy, I increased this to the hallway by the end of the day. After 1 week, I was taking short walks around the block-take your cell phone in case you feel weak or faint and need to stop and call someone to get you.

I rented a reclining chair that was easy to get in and out of. I was back in my bed after 1 week. I live alone and had someone stay with me for several days after I came home and then was fine on my own. Having someone running errands take alot off of you.

When I was able to go to the grocery store, I used the motorized cart-to avoid carrying a basket or pushing a shopping cart. I did not, and still have not cleaned my house myself or raked leaves or put up a Christmas tree this year-too heavy-be very guarded with you abdomens!

AVOID LONG SHOPPING TRIPS FOR MANY WEEKS AFTER SURGERY-YOU MAY THINK YOU ARE WELL, BUT YOU ARE NOT! YOU WILL PAY DEARLY FOR IT IF YOU DO.

I had wonderful support from friends and family and attended a healing service @ my church the night before my surgery. Never under estimate the power of prayer.

This website was a tremendous help to me.

And, I am also a nurse -and hopefully am a better nurse than I am a patient. "Attitude is everything" The road has not been easy at times, I still have tenderness and swelling @ my incision site-but on my worst of days, the pain did not come anywhere close to what I experienced every month with my periods. Although I grieve that I will never be a mother-I know it was a necessary thing for me to do.

As I have returned to work, a girdle has helped with pain and support @ my incision site and I am less sore when I wear one.

Again, everyone has been amazed at how well I have done-despite complications. I did fine and you all will too

Best wishes to all of you in your recovery.

Sweet Pea
TAH w/BSO. Vertical incison for giant fibroid uterus weighing 1238 gms. Endo, adeno and adhesions. On Vivelle Dot 0.075
Unread 12-12-2005, 08:25 PM

I agree with Sweet Peas that attitude is very important, but that's the kind of person I am everyday. I however took the 2 vicoden that the Dr. told me to take every 4 hours, I did not have a morphine drip or any other pain meds. I took the above-mentioned meds for the first 4-5 days and then cut them back to 1 every 4 hours, I got lots of rest and never felt any pain. I started taking a stool softener the minute I came home from the castle, drank lots of water and nothing else for the first week, I got lots of rest, and still am, my DH is taking care of the house and meals ( he is wonderful ) I haven't been "out" to do much of anything, but went into work for a couple of hours this past Fri., which really wiped me out. I have also been shopping on television alot (retail therapy) for Christmas. Been giving myself facials, playing with new makeup, painted my toes and fingernails, just kind of pampering myself. I haven't felt this good in years!
Unread 12-12-2005, 08:32 PM

Wow Sweet Pea. That is amazing you did so well with all you had to endure. I work out 5 or 6 nights a week, so hopefully I will be in good shape for a recovery.

I had thought I would be able to go back to my 'On the Ball' class after 4 weeks, but now I am not sure. We do around 200 crunches 2 times a week, with various arm, leg, back, and glute exercises. Also do spin class 3 times a week. I am also having my knee scoped as I have a torn meniscus, but that will hopefully be better at 3 weeks.

I am just not looking forward to this. I hope I do as well as you are doing Sweet Pea. Thanks for the good thoughts.

Lizastan, do you recommend any type of stool softner? Have not a clue what to get!
Unread 12-12-2005, 08:33 PM

Have to agree with the above.....and my doctor told me at my 1 week post-op visit- "you are just tough-if you could have seen what I pulled out of you-you would be amazed at how well you have done."

Well, I had my pictures developed and I was amazed!!!
Sent a disposable camera into the OR. "Oh my gosh" was all I could say when I saw them.

Sweet Pea
'
Unread 12-12-2005, 08:34 PM

Oh and yes, I did have alot of gas and was very bloated, it took me 3 days to "move". But I didn't have the "swelly belly".

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register