cats and surgery - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

cats and surgery cats and surgery

Unread 04-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Cats & Surgery

Hi,
I have 6 kitties and don't think it will be a problem, I also am having my surgery on the 5th at 11:30AM. We're going to try vaginally but never having kids it may not be an option. Am having it done with a spinal anesthesia, don't want to be knocked out.

Alittle scared because this year has been one disaster after another
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2006, 06:58 PM
cats and surgery

I haven't scheduled hysterectomy yet, but when I had total knee reconstruction, the 2 cats and 100lb dog seemed to know not to jump or get near that area. Animals sense these things and I think the pillow idea is great. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.
Unread 04-02-2006, 09:26 PM
cats and surgery

Sorry if I repeated myself, I didn't get through all of the replies. In 2002 I had a vertical incision c/s, and later a myomectomy with the same incision. We have three cats. We kept them out of our room completely, they weren't happy about it, but we put a towel at the outside of our door and sprayed a cat repellant (from teh pet store) on it, so they'd not scratch and whine at the door all night. It worked out well, but we did have to reapply the stuff every night. They certainly didn't like the smell, and stayed away from the door. The last three surgeries, I didn't kick them out of our bedroom. I just used two pillows (and am still!), placing them on my in an upside down V shape over my belly, and have not had any problems with them jumping on me there. It's worked well for me, and keeps the cats happy in not having to be locked out! Good luck!

Angie
Unread 04-03-2006, 12:18 PM
cats and surgery

I have two cats. The female pretty much didn't have a clue what was going on and she always scared me by jumping onto the bed when I wasn't watching, so I ALWAYS had a large pillow (she's fat) on my tummy. My male cat knew something was wrong with my tummy, he smelled it and made sure not to touch it, and kept me the most company, always laid near me, but never one me. He is the same cat that always lays on my tummy, so he some how knew something wasn't right and not to touch my tummy, and he knew when I was good enough to come back and lay on his favorite spot....on me. Weird but very true!! Good luck and keep a pillow on hand.
Unread 04-03-2006, 01:05 PM
cats and surgery

I have two dogs (one 16lb and one 75lb). Thank you for asking this question, as I didn't know what I was going to do either. My little dog sleeps between my legs on the bed and the big one thinks she can just jump on anytime when my dh is not in the bed. The pillow thing sounds like it will work for me too.
Unread 04-03-2006, 01:56 PM
cats and surgery

I have 3 kitties - 2 who love to sleep on the bed. I just kept a pillow on my tummy, or slept on my side once I could move that way, and had no problem at all. They were such wonderful company for me while I was at home. Best of luck!
Unread 04-03-2006, 02:11 PM
cats and surgery

Thank you very much, everyone, for your great suggestions and support. I am going to move extra pillows in the room and be prepared. I do feel like cats are sensitive and three of them I trust to be careful. But our little guy, Harvey, is just a year old and rambunctious and nosy. He is liable to leap onto me at any time, so I will have to keep an eye on him, though I suspect that my very sweetest and motherly cat will be swatting him if he does. He outweighs her and she is half his size, but when we brought him home as a kitten she "adopted" him and she has her ways of keeping him in line! I'm so glad that I don't really have to lock them out of the room, which probably would never have worked. Pillows and cats.... I'm set!!!

Again, thank you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register