What exercise can I do during recovery? I'm a advanced exerciser - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What exercise can I do during recovery? I'm a advanced exerciser What exercise can I do during recovery? I'm a advanced exerciser

Unread 07-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Re: What exercise can I do during recovery? I'm a advanced exerciser

I had an LSH also. My scars are 1.5" (on the left) and 1/2" (on the right). There's one in my navel, too, but you can't see it, obviously. I had a long talk with my doctor before the surgery and convinced her to make them very low down, almost to my hair line. Had I not had that conversation with her, the plan was to have them up near my navel. I hated that idea, as I too have worked hard for my abs and like showing them off. So, see if that's a possibility for you. The scars themselves are not hideous or large, but they're very noticeable because they're so bright red. I hate them, to be honest, but realize that it could be much worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2011, 09:09 PM

Listen to your body! Doc can say anything but once you start moving if you feel cramp or something then stop. My thoughts is as frustrating as it sounds is to walk first before you run, then add more walking if walking makes it uncomfortable do not run,.

You only get one chance to heal well, and avoiding scar tissue or having to go back for a 2nd surgery to repair or get stiched again can be frustrating and delay your running even more. The pounding might a concern but like others say, see how you feel. do wait the time 6 to 8 weeks. It is major surgery so heal well, Running will be there to wait for you once you are better, wish you the best.
Unread 07-23-2011, 09:11 PM

I run also but I have not done it yet, reason? I was still cramping until two weeks ago and was not even walking! The cramping is gone so now I will try the threadmill. everybody is different and even though the surgeon cleared me after 6 weeks I needed more time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2011, 03:46 PM

I've been wondering about exercise too. AS of now, I use a resistence rope, jump rope 100 jumps, use two 5lb weights to streighthen my arms, go on the treadmill for 15 min, and take a half hour walk. I wonder how long I will be out of commission, and more importantly, how slow do I get back into my exercises.
Unread 07-25-2011, 03:07 PM

I felt ready to walk the halls as soon as they took the morphine pump off me.... Didn't do well with that drug. As soon as they removed it and the catheter I showered and started walking. Sure I felt sore but I knew moving was good for me....my DR's orders. By day 5 I was walking 2 miles and I've been walking 4 miles the last few days. I run 1/2 marathons and my next one is already scheduled for the Sunday before Thanksgiving. At my 2-week post op 6 days ago my DR said everything is looking great. It helps since he's a big exerciser (biker) and is in great shape. My DR said only walking until week 6 and then I will be able to run and work out again
I totally agree that being in shape helps you to bounce back quicker. I also
work out with a trainer 2x a week and plan to go back at week 6. He assured me that he's helped many come back after surgeries and will work with me.
I will say that the walking is hard since I love to run but I head to my favorite park and enjoy the scenery. The hardest part is NOT doing more.... Because right now I feel like I could walk 10 miles. Running would likely hurt since I still have my swelly belly. I know everyone says to listen to your body, but many of us have learned to ignore that and push our bodies to greater limits with running, weight lifting, etc. I'm listening to my DR since I figured he knows a lot more than I do about hysterectomies...haha.
Good luck with your surgery ladies!
Unread 07-26-2011, 08:21 AM

Thanks Ladies!!! I was thinking actually the walking maybe good for me. Ive been running so long and never really taking any rest weeks. I think as long as I keep eating healthy and watch what I eat I should be fine. I was never heavy and I also notice when I go on vacation for a week without exercising just mostly lots of walking I loose around 5 pounds, Probably water weight,my guess.

My tummy is my best feature and worried about the scars. My cousin had the same doctor and same procedure and she said they are about 1/4 inch and no stomach muscles are cut. I'm hoping mine are only 1/4 inch long. I wish there was a way I can see pictures so I know what to expect. I did have him draw the lines on my tummy with eyeliner to know what to expect and didnt look bad at all if thats what it will look like. Thanks Dawn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register