Spotting and cramping after sex, 9 weeks post hysterectomy... Is this normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Spotting and cramping after sex, 9 weeks post hysterectomy... Is this normal? Spotting and cramping after sex, 9 weeks post hysterectomy... Is this normal?

Unread 07-02-2016, 07:33 PM
Spotting and cramping after sex, 9 weeks post hysterectomy... Is this normal?

Hi ladies,
I was cleared for intercourse at my 6 week check up on June 15th. My doctors exact words were "your cuff healed beautifully" and he gave me the all clear to resume intercourse. He just said to take it easy and be gentle for the first few weeks.

Since then, my husband and I have had sex 5 times. The first 4 times were great, no pain, no bleeding or spotting, seemed everything was perfect. Now just today (the 5th time) I have some cramping and spotting, and it's red/pink. There's not a lot, but there was some on my liner, and also when I wipe. It didn't start immediately afterwards either, during "clean-up" everything was fine, no sign of blood or anything.

I've been so scared to resume for fear of hurting something, and because all of the horror stories I've read online. That's the whole reason it's only been 5 times and then this happens! Now I'm REALLY freaking out, and my anxiety is through the roof, especially since it's a long weekend and my doctor won't be in the office until Tuesday to even call him.

Is this something that happens normally, or should I be worried, seeing as it didn't happen the first 4 times? Now I'm going to be so paranoid to be intimate again.

Thanks ladies, I'll be anoxiously waiting for any responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2016, 09:01 PM
Re: Spotting and cramping after sex, 9 weeks post op... Is this normal?

Hello there

The thing to remember especially as the release or all clear is given by the doctors is that you are still healing on the inside sister. Yes outercourse/intercourse are among those things however I did ask my doc when I got my release on Friday and he did still see stitches. You are testing new things and on the very parts of your body that were invaded upon. I’d still exercised just a bit of caution. Your body is giving you those signs that it is time for you to rest a bit more now. If you have any questions, definitely call your doctor.

*hugs*
Unread 07-03-2016, 12:37 PM
Re: Spotting and cramping after sex, 9 weeks post hysterectomy... Is this normal?

From everything I've researched on this site, it seems like this could be something normal that could happen the first few times afterwards. But I'm wondering why it didn't happen the first few times, and it waited until now to happen. We weren't any rougher this time compared to the others, because like i said... ive been kinda paranoid, so I'm not sure. It did stop after a few hours, but it still bothers me, so I'm going to make a call to his office on Tuesday just to make sure it's ok, or if he would prefer to see me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2016, 07:43 PM
Can somebody please help me with my question, I posted before and had no responses... I'm scared!

It didn't happen during intercourse, or immediately after though. I don't understand why, after 4 times, nothing happened, but this time I had issues.

I have read that some spotting is normal the first few times. But this seems weird that there was nothing the first few times for me. I sent a message to my doctor yesterday, but I will also be calling him tomorrow just in case he'd want to see me.

Has this happened to anyone? Or did your doctor tell you it was normal afterwards? I'm freaking out, and now I'm REALLY paranoid to have sex again. I had a pretty smooth recovery with no issues besides my incision sites being stubborn.

I'm scared! Please help ease my mind! (((Hugs))) Hezz
Unread 07-04-2016, 08:11 PM
Re: Can somebody please help me with my question, I posted before and had no responses... I'm scared!

if you are having anxiety regarding this, you should make an appt. to see your doc. It may be nothing but it would ease your mind. I am sure some other will come along as I have read about this before on this forum.
Unread 07-04-2016, 08:57 PM
Spotting and cramping after sex, 9 weeks post hysterectomy... Is this normal?

Hi, I saw your post and just wanted to let you know I am concerned for you. I am sorry someone knowledgeable hasn't responded yet, probably the holiday weekend.
I don't have a current partner so have not had intercourse post-op, but totally understand your concerns & then to have this happen on a holiday weekend sucks. I hope you feel better by now and that your doc has answers for you tomorrow.
Please let us know what doc says and how you are doing.
I am so sorry this has happened to you...hang in there.
Unread 07-04-2016, 09:11 PM
Re: Can somebody please help me with my question, I posted before and had no responses... I'm scared!

Within 3 weeks you have had sex 5 times on the body parts that you had surgery on. You gave them a workout. Your body is trying to let you know it is time to give them a rest and try to heal a bit before attempting to have sweet lovemaking once again. It isn't a marathon.

Definately talk to your doctor. I am sure he will have even more information for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register