Scheduled TAH Scared about Surgrey | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared about Surgrey Scared about Surgrey

Unread 05-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Scared about Surgrey

HI I am and I am scheduled for a Total Abdominal June 1 .... The doctor is leaving one ovary .. Since I had a Ablation/D&C/Tubal/with ployps, cyst and endo removal in September 2008 .... The cyst and ployps are back and causing pain not only in the pelvic but back .... I have to return tommorow for a test on my bladder to see if it needs reinforced also. I am not a canidate for TVH due to the scar tissue .... I have never had my belly cut on and I am scared.
Also since I have already been having premenopuasul syptoms since my last surgery .. is this going to help the mood swings, bloating and fatigue I am swamped with now, or make it worse ?

Thanks in advance to those that respond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2009, 12:33 PM
Re: Scared about Surgrey

I am so sorry for how you are feeling and for all you are going through!! I understand completely. My first surgery ever was an emergency c-section and I was terrified!! But I have to tell you, anesthesia has come a long way since then so that is not a huge issue. Secondly, I didn't know to ask for pain meds so I went 2 days without and it really wasn't that bad. Now, that doesn't mean this will be a piece of cake, but there is so much advice from ladies who have had this done that I pray you will feel comforted by their words and advice. The biggest thing is to make sure you have a pillow for your tummy...it helps if you cough or sneeze or have fear of an animal or child jumping on you. Also, check with your dr, but make sure you take a stool softener!! Every day!! I can't stress that enough cause that was my biggest fear-feeling like the pushing would pop the incision open, so I didn't 'go' for over a week...don't do that...lol!!
Most of all, take comfort knowing you arent' alone!! Not sure if this helped at all, but you just need to really listen to your body, don't do too much and don't expect too much of yourself too soon!!
Take care
Debbie
Unread 05-19-2009, 06:52 PM

Believe me, I know how you feel when you say that you're scared because you've never had your belly cut before. I was the same way, but am well on my way to recovery. It wasn't as awful as I had imagined it to be. We can sometimes let our imaginations get the best of us. For me, once I got to the hospital and in the room for anesthesia, I was calm as I could possibly be. There was a peace in knowing that God had it in control and that he'd bring me through the surgery. You'll feel like you've been asleep for a matter of minutes instead of an hour or so. To me, the worst part was getting up and sitting back down. Just take it real slow and, like others say, it really does help to have the pillow ready for coughing or laughing. Take care. Everything will be alright!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2009, 07:04 PM

The two ladies before me gave very good advice. My first abdominal surgery was also a c-section. I was young and naive at the time. I didn't want to move for fear or popping a stitch. Well, I laid down most of the time and got the worst headache of my life (and I get migraines!). I was told that the headache was due to laying down too long. The sooner you get up and get moving, the sooner I believe you will get rid of the sorness that will be there. I had a morphine pump after surgery this time, so I was in control of the pain meds. I used it very little. My surgery was on Friday and I went home Sunday morning. I needed no pain meds after I got home. I took some each night for the first few nights just to help me sleep, but really didn't need them for pain. Best of luck to you. It will all be over before you know it and you will be on the road to recovery.
Unread 05-21-2009, 09:23 AM

Thank you all for the wonderful way you have put me at ease ... I had my Bladder stress test done and he will not be sewing that up at this time even tho I have both issues with my bladder. So thats one less thing to worry about
Again Thank you all for your help

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register