I don't know what to do (pregnancy mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I don't know what to do (pregnancy mentioned) I don't know what to do (pregnancy mentioned)

Unread 01-19-2009, 03:06 AM
I don't know what to do (pregnancy mentioned)

I had Adenocarcinoma-in-situ of the cervix, had a LLETZ in November and a Cone biopsy in December. Cone Biopsy results were all clear, they found nothing more.

My gyn who did both surgeries says I still need a hysterectomy. He says if I got pregnant again it would be heartbreaking as it would more than likely end in miscarriage or very early pre-term labour.

my Gyn/Onc says that I can look at getting pregnant again, he will refer me to another Obs to see if they can do something.

The problem is, I have very little cervix left, so theres nothing really to hold the uterus in place, but this referral appt will see what there is and if there is anything they can do.

I have two kids, one is almost 3 and one is 10 months old. We always said we'd have three kids, and I never treated my sons pregnancy like it was the last. I never thought that I wouldn't be pregnant again. I loved being pregnant, and I'd love to have another baby.

I want to be around for my two kids as well, and I don't want to risk not being there for them.

Some days I decide that I'll proceed with a Hysterectomy, but then I'll be reminded of being pregnant and I feel like a knife is driving into my heart.

My sister-in-law is pregnant, she told us all on Christmas Day, and I literally shook for an hour. I was so happy for them, but I was so absolutely devastated. I still find it so hard to be happy for them, because I am so upset that I may never get that feeling again.

I wish I knew what to do. I hate having to make this choice. I almost wish that this obs in melbourne will tell me that to have a baby I will have to do bedrest for 9 months, coz I know I'd never do that.

I'm really sorry if this is a selfish post, I just really needed to get all of this out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2009, 12:13 PM

It would be hard if you can't have further children as you so much want them. At this stage it's worth seeing the Obs about your options in relation to having a 3rd pregnancy/child. Then you will know where you stand either way and can make decisions based on the full facts.
I noticed that your post was in December. Have you had any progress since then at all.
Hugs DJ
Unread 01-22-2009, 07:04 PM

I'm sorry you are having to deal with all this.

First, though, I'd like to say how terrific it is that they achieved clear margins with your cone biopsy! That is really good news! I'm also glad to hear you are seeing a gyn/onc. They are the experts when it comes to female cancers and precancers and they are trained extensively in the most current medical and surgical techniques.

There was a great deal of concern about my fertility status after I had my cone as well. The gyn was not convinced that I would be able to carry a child to term due to the amount of cervix removed. He told me to wait 6 months before even considering it and then he would place me in a high-risk category (which essentially meant that I went for an exam every week--but it was well worth it!). As it turns out, I was pregnant before the 6 months was up. I kept my weekly visits so that he could watch for any early dilation of the cervix. All went well.

Now, I know that it isn't always successful for every woman, but I wanted to give you hope that it could be successful for you. Go see a high-risk OB and get some ideas. I would like to think they would be able to use a cerclage on you to help you carry a pregnancy to term if necessary.

After my hysterectomy, I had a couple of tough years. Even though I had children, I wasn't necessarily ready to say that I was done. You are right--it is very difficult at times to know that you will not have another pregnancy, especially when family and friends turn up pregnant. It's OK to grieve that possibility.

With all that said, it's also really important to consider your future health risks as well. If you opt to delay a hysterectomy, just make sure you are being closely monitored for any possible recurrence. This is so much more easily treated when caught early.

Good luck with your decision-making. Please keep us posted on how your consultation goes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register