Preparation for surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Preparation for surgery Preparation for surgery

Unread 11-03-2001, 09:37 PM
Preparation for surgery

I have two weeks to go and am putting lots of effort into diet and nutrition with the aim of reducing digestive problems and having a quicker recovery. Did anyone get great advice in this area from their doctor, or naturopath, or other practitioner? If so, how much do you think it helped you? Any tips and ideas re vitamins, minerals, foods? I am heavily into yoghurt, and wondering about trying peppermint oil last thing before fasting to reduce gas.

Looking forward to hearing from sisters on the other side of the world ( I am in Mount Gambier in South Australia - the Blue Lake City)

Downsy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2001, 11:27 PM
Preparation for surgery

Hi Downsy and welcome to hystersisters. I too am an aussie . Have you checked out the neighbourhoods here on this site. There are a small bunch of us there, come and introduce yourself.

Before I had my op. I was taking quite a few things prescribed by my herbalist and approved by my gyno. Anything you take must be discussed with your Dr as some have different effects before surgery. Peppermint tea is very good for gas , I took some with me to hospital and drank it as soon as I could after my op. Not sure about the oil , although I have read when rubbed into your abdomen it can help with gas, it must be diluted in a carrier oil a good one being apricot kernel oil. If you would like to know about the vitamins and herbs I took please feel free to email me but please remember to tell your DR. Have you checked out the info at the top of the preop posts regarding herbs etc? Lots of info there. Best of luck with it all and please remember we are always here to help , take good care, hugs to ya x x x
Unread 11-03-2001, 11:52 PM
Preparation for surgery

Good for you. I bet your proactive attitude will help you most of all! I didn't have much of a problem with gas but I think that my doctor helped there -- a chewable antacid/gas reduction tablet appeared three times a day in the hospital, just like any other treatment I was given. That was a surprise because I thought gas would be something I had to handle on my own...around the time of my surgery, many ladies were recommending bringing GasX or some other OTC product along to the hospital. ANYTHING you take should be discussed with your doctor, of course.

My strongest recommendation? lots!! I noticed right away that if I got lazy about it, I paid for it within hours---constipation, etc...not a fun thing ever but right after surgery---very uncomfy! And, for me, unnecessary as long as I was good about ing like I was supposed to. I also ate lightly and stayed away from obviously gassy foods (no lima bean soup, for instance!! )!

Keep reading, posting and talking everything over with your doctor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2001, 01:58 AM
preparation

Thank you to the two lovely hostesses who replied so promptly. Great to hear of other Aussies! Good advice to check with doctor of course. All this preparation is doing me a power of good and I guess it actually gives me a greater sense of control - or could it be my serious tendency to be a perfectionist getting me going again?

I must say that it is really hard to come to grips with the impact of major surgery - I have never had an operation, never had any anaesthetic, never had more than a minor codiene pain killer. The great unknown awaits.

Back to the yoghurt.

downsy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register