Again Question about Medroxyprogesterone (provera i think) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Again Question about Medroxyprogesterone (provera i think) Again Question about Medroxyprogesterone (provera i think)

Unread 02-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Again Question about Medroxyprogesterone (provera i think)

My gyn that gave me my diagnoses after my d&c heteroscopy. said .. no carcinoma but hyperplasia atypia 4th stage .. so basically as some have pointed out it is next to cancer stage.
( of uterus lining)
So he refers me to gyn Oncologist ./ my appt is next monday, to get started on schedule for hysterectomy.
My question tho is about this progesterone .. he said at the appt i could take or wait til i see onco. I saw him briefly next day to ask a nurse a question about this and he was there an told me you can go ahead an take it but never gave me a thorough reason to start it. Other then it will help keep the lining at bay. Now .. my thought is I never start a med on a weekend ( learn that never as dr. s are never avail on weekends. ) only costly urgent cares who really dont care.
I never wasted so much money on visiting urgent care this year and not getting anythign in return for a visit.... lousy out here in henderson.
But .. I could start on a half one to make sure first how i react. i always perfer to add in dosages slow.. that way if i was allergic to any id not be as sick id hope.
But the main question is anyone knowledgable enough to explain why i need this so bad if im to get everything out very soon. I persume so nothing grows and spreads in that time but I thought this was more of a slow type cancer as it is.. ( i suppose who is to say what goes on in the hidden body)
Anyway dr. told me youll take it only short time it should not cause problems so short of time .. Should not or wont ? are 2 different things.. to me.
being overwt / but in fair good health other then dry cough and post nasal problems.. all my tests always have come back normal including cholestral.
So my biggest hope is i dont get heart desease by taking it.
or my concern is that .. blood clot either.. i have no thrombosis but my ankles swell if i have too much salt .. but not always.
I rarely use anything with salt on food and i dont eat fast food. im rather sodium conscious.
anyway ..
this progesterone thing is my biggest concern at this moment.. any advise or heads up is welcome .. i can weigh the answers and or just wait.. til monday. Thanks all.
may all your surgeries be safe and successful sisters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Re: Again Question about Medroxyprogesterone (provera i think)

Hi there. You mentioned that you don't like to start meds on the weekend. Is there any reason you can't start today?

I took Provera and Prometrium and, yes, it was explained to me just as you said; to prevent further build-up of uterine lining. It also helps regulate cycles by either stopping the bleeding or starting it.

I did not tolerate the medicine well as it made me very moody. Everyone's experience is different, of course.

If you have questions about the side effects, call your doctor or pharmacist first so you will feel comfortable taking it.

Best wishes to you!
Unread 02-23-2010, 06:07 PM

thanks peppermint

when i asked pharmacist they usually read to me whats on the side effects label LOL .. not much help.

calling the dr. he will think im nuts asking him 3 times about my concerns. Most dr.s i have had dont like me to ask the several times the same question..

I can start it today yes. but i dont care about mood swings cuz i take trazadone and xanax should keep me ok.

more concerned if it would make me an instant blood clot or not .. or add any stress to my health before surgery.. where i could be healthier with out the thought of more blood clots during surgery or such.
I just am still tryin to build up a little positiveness but so far I fail mostly.

mind still wanders to the what ifs..
like if i take this will it cause undue problems for the surgery.
if i take this will it keep me from developing cancer
(my prognosis was no cancer found but hyperplasia atypia)
I took the Pill long ago when i was in my 20s.. for a year .. then i had problems with alot of things after that.
eventually those problems subsided. weight gain moody and felt sick.

the pill is not the same as provera i dont think.
thing is im post menopausal .. i dont have periods.. so this would be a daily thing i need to take for like til i dont know
surgery?

But anyway i do appreciate the answer thank you..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2010, 07:27 PM

xmistidawn,

Progestines are used to slow down and sometimes actually reverse hyperplasia. Your body produces progesterone but now that you are in menopause you may not be producing enough. The Medroxyprogesterone is giving you a little more than your body is now producing. I was on it for a short time pre op and switched to another progestin for several months to help control very heavy bleeding. It made me feel much better, I wasn't producing enough progesterone for myself. Everyone is different, some don't do as well on it, particularly at first. I'm currently taking 200 mg of Prometrium (a progesterone) and wouldn't care to give it up--I asked for it!

If you're not comfortable with it, don't take it but some women with hyperplasia have been helped by it. It IS scary.

Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register