3 weeks post hysterectomy: Just how much should I be doing? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 weeks post hysterectomy: Just how much should I be doing? 3 weeks post hysterectomy: Just how much should I be doing?

Unread 04-10-2014, 09:54 AM
3 weeks post hysterectomy: Just how much should I be doing?

3 weeks out from Hysterectomy and 2 weeks from Bowel Obstruction and just curious how active I should be at this point. My OB knows me all to well and I got a very stern lecture before surgery on how important it was to stay down and rest to allow myself to recover. However I'm also being told to move around...no one has told me how much since I left the hospital where I needed to take at least 3 laps around the floor a day.

I get up during the day to potty, get my daughter to the bus, get water, let the dogs out, shower, and do a few trips up and down the driveway or around our little area of the subdivision.

Should I have a specific amount or just go until my body tells me to stop? 15 minutes up seems to be my limit before things really start to hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2014, 04:47 PM
Re: 3 weeks post hysterectomy: Just how much should I be doing?

Feeling pain is a good indicator that you've pushed a little too hard. I'm almost 4 weeks post-op and like you, I've found the advice given by doctors to be a bit conflicting--movement will help you heal, but don't be *too* active.

I suppose it's tricky advice to give as every recovery is different, and there's a fine line between "just right" and "too much." I felt like my energy skyrocketed at the 2 week mark, and I had to resist the temptation to go "back to normal"--but my body is good at telling me when I'm walking too fast, on my feet too long, etc.

I don't think there are set-in-stone guidelines for how much is too much, and if there are they won't apply to everybody. It's so individual and will depend on age, body type, physical condition pre-op, etc. Probably the best we can do is cultivate body-awareness so we can slow down and take a break before "hitting the wall"...
Unread 04-10-2014, 04:50 PM

I agree- just enough that you feel comfortable. If you walk until you're tired, it may be too much- just keep adding a few minutes to what you're doing, and keep the same sense of comfort with movement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2014, 04:59 PM

I feel the same way, like what should I be doing? I feel a little different every day. Monday I had all this energy, felt like I was really on my way back to normal (I was two weeks to the day post op). I reorganized a corner of my kitchen without lifting, took like 2 hours, then forced myself to sit and rest most of the rest of the day. The next day I did a homeschool lesson with my kids that required me to be on my feet another 2 hours or so, then it hit me! I felt weak, dizzy, tired, sore all at once! That was a big reminder that I was doing to much!
This morning, I went to the bank and then took the kids to the park, then I was home with a pain pill and down for a nap. I feel frustrated because it seems I can only handle one activity a day. If I do it in the morning, the house doesn't get cleaned in the afternoon. But my brain feels like I should be back to normal.
Unread 04-11-2014, 08:51 AM

I've had to accept the fact that I'm not going to get *everything* done each day... My list is always a mile long, but the most important thing is to go slow. I'd rather be up and about but on light duty than put myself in the position of being bedridden all day! Sometimes a nap is more important than a spotless kitchen ;-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register