Now I'm REALLY nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Now I'm REALLY nervous Now I'm REALLY nervous

Unread 07-18-2004, 06:18 PM
Now I'm REALLY nervous

My surgery is in 12 hours. And I found out just a little while ago that my husband only has Monday off. He has to work everyday next week from 11:30am to 7:30pm. He's work is 45 minutes away from the hospital.

I'm scared that I'm going to be stuck there in that hospital bed unable to get a nurse and in desperate need of help. I'm scared that they'll release me to come home and no one will be able to come get me for hours. I'm scared that once I get home, I'm going to be totally dependant on my 19 year old daughter who frankly isn't someone I trust enough at this point in her life to want to be at her mercy.

Now, I'm scared <admin.snip-please do not try to get around censors for inappropriate word usage>. All those positive thoughts and outlooks just went right out the window and right now, all I want to do is cry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2004, 06:24 PM
Now I'm REALLY nervous

Hi Hippiechick,

I'm sorry you have to worry about that now! Is there a close friend you can call? I'm surprised your DH work is not so understanding. Won't they let him pick you up from the hospital?
Unread 07-18-2004, 06:37 PM
Now I'm REALLY nervous

He hopefully will be able to stop and run, but its a restaraunt. And actually he works for my parents. They own 2 BBQ places and he's learning the family business. I guess I need to call my mom now.
My best friend lives about an hour and a half away from here and can't get time off work to come. I have lots of aquaintences but no girlfriends that I would want to call and impose on in such a way. They all have jobs, or kids or both. Basically, its looking like I'm just stuck. I'll figure something out, but I don't know what at this point.
I'm sure I can get some help once I'm home but it would only be after 5 and it will mean that my DsD will have to be here as well as her 2 boys. Oh MAN! I *really* *really* don't wwant that.

Sheesh.......................... this just bites
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2004, 08:40 PM
Now I'm REALLY nervous

WoW~ I'am in the same boat as you! My surgery is July 28th.
My husband has the 28th and 29th off but after that its back to work... we run a high volume restaraunt . I will just have to wait for him at the hospital till he can get away from the restaraunt to pick me up when they release me. We also live 3 hours away from the hospital where I'am having my surgery. Then my 13 y/o son is going to be my caregiver.....aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Unread 07-18-2004, 09:49 PM
Now I'm REALLY nervous

Its a tough boat to be in PrincessRansier. I guess I'll just have to do whatever I have to do.
I'm a pretty tough old broad when I have to be. Guess I'll just *have* to be!

Good luck to you too!
Unread 07-18-2004, 10:01 PM
Now I'm REALLY nervous

You know ...I guess its just life, life dishes it out and we have to take it. I'am a pretty tough ol broad when I have to be too...so we will just have to be and my bet is we are gonna make it through this fine, sure there will be bumps and hurdles...but we can do it! Good luck to you too, you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Bobbi
Unread 07-19-2004, 05:31 AM
Now I'm REALLY nervous

To both of you Gals good luck.......But ..it might not be all bad either..my 14 year old son took an intrest in caring for me and has been practicing cookng for two days now and frankly he did a good job..My 17 year old could care less as long as she has gas in her car to go...she hasn't been around much..I took today off to get everything finalized here at home so I won't need much help my hubby is a trucker and will be working everyday but tuesday (tomorrow) for my surgery..So as soon as I get the ok to go I'll nextel him and he'll be own his way..He is a local driver so that helps but I may have to wait a bit for pick up but the doctor said I should know pretty early in advance on whether their thinking about sending me home that day..I'm actually being put in as an outpaitent so I hope to come home wednesday....Anyway good luck to you both...

shannon
Unread 07-19-2004, 07:23 AM
can relate

I too am wondering how or will be bring me home, Fiancee lives with me and our vacations where put in at work in feb. and that was last week, of course I had to cancel mine for this , he could have cancelled his but no way they would have gave it to him this week, cause of others beeing schelude off, he's calling in tomorrow morning, but cause we are not married, if he leaves work early wedsdday they will write him up, oldest daugther just moved to city an hour from here and only 20 mins from the hospital, put she has 3 job interviews today and if one hires her to start Wedsday (I hope not) she will take it as this is the longest she has never had a job going on 2 weeks now,
I have A 17 yr old here but she works at Hardies and like the other lady said about hers, on she couldn't find her way there and she don't care about nothing but gas in her car and boys and her driveing scarres me anyway.

I told the nurses about this last tuesday and she said they have ways to work with the ins. I don't want to be discharged and then billed for the rest of the day, after 3 weeks I'm home with out pay the rest of this recovery.

And like you I have no real close friends, best friend lives in New Jersey and I in Illinois and being a only child due to the fact my mom had overin cycst and she died 2 1/2 yrs ago so no help there.
Hopefully it will work out and we will both be home one way are another after all this.

Good Luck tommorrow
Moureen

Large fibroid
Unread 07-19-2004, 08:43 AM
Now I'm REALLY nervous

Legally, if you need to take time off to care for your family (child, or spouse) they have to give you time off (6 weeks unpaid) for the family leave and disability act. People always think of that act as "maternity leave" but it also covers family health needs.

So, he doesn't *have* to work. If the place is owned by your parents, why aren't they giving him time off to care for you? Seems like that would be a high priority.
Unread 07-19-2004, 10:52 AM
Now I'm REALLY nervous

Hippiechick -- I had a TVH and was more than ready to come home on the third day. My pain was minimal. No narcotic pain meds were needed.

My DH and two older sons had to attend a family event 8 hours away on the Friday following my surgery ( surg Mon, home Weds) and only my 11 YO stayed home with me.

It went well. I stocked a number of microwave meals for me, and he and I ordered in enough Chinese to feed us for the whole weekend. I was able to fend for myself, make tea, get to the bathroom etc no problem.

I posted to another of your posts about the fears of general -- have you explored the option of spinal? I did and am very happy with the results.

Hang in there. As far as my experience went, the TVH is the easier of the procedures to recover from.
If you are used to fending for yourself -- and I think you said you were -- you will be fine.
You might find out that some of your aqquaintances are better friends than you realize! If you would do it for them, don't be afraid to ask them to do if for you.
I know it is scary now, but I think you will be amazed at how much better you feel after the surgery -- I was.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register