Any 1 weekers out there?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any 1 weekers out there?? Any 1 weekers out there??

Unread 03-17-2005, 11:24 AM
Any 1 weekers out there??

Just wondering how you are all doing. My surgery was March 10 for TAH plus cervix and ovaries. I am 47 years old and in pretty good shape. It was a tough day!! 4 hour surgery plus a long time in post op due to vomiting from anesthesia/meds. Talk about pain - vomiting with the incision was a killer. But more meds took care of that. Begged to come home Sat. afternoon. Blood count was low, almost got transfused before leaving hospital but was able to avoid that.

Pain meds at home made me nauseous and gave me horrible headaches. Got them switched but still same problem - even cutting them in half. First Percocet then Vicodin. Now only on Advil once or twice a day.
Gas pains/BM pain was horrendous!!!!!! But as of today feel much better-still on 3 stool softeners a day, tons of water, and apple cider helps do the trick.

Swelly belly is definitely there!!! Much worse after sitting upright.
Had my 34 staples removed Tuesday - felt better - not so much tugging - can now sleep on my side with pillows propping me up.
Told Dr. he did nice work (based on my incision) and he said "it looks real pretty inside too". He is such a perfectionist!!

Started on the Vivelle Dot .05 patch. No menopuse symptoms. Hope I continue to feel this well.

How is everyone else doing?? Would love to hear your "progress reports."

BarbNJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2005, 11:54 AM

I had my surgery on March 9. I had TAH, but kept ovaries and cervix. I am 45 and am also in good shape. My pain is fairly well controlled. Yesterday I rode around in the car and I was feeling extra pain last night. It's hard to remember that I can't do things like pick up stuff and all. My belly is swollen too. Hard to find stuff that fits. My surgery and post op went fine. My doctor was great too. Wish I would have told him that. I will next time I see him.

Even though I have my ovaries, I am having trouble with hormones. I was on Lupron and apparently I am having lingering side effects (I already posted an email on that).

Sounds like you are doing well. I was told I couldn't drive for two weeks, so I decided that I will try to go back to work when I can drive and if I am fatigued I will just come home. How about you? Do you work? If so, when are you planning to go back?

Thanks for your post.
Unread 03-17-2005, 11:55 AM

I am one week out also...Had a LSH 3/9/05 removing uterus and fibroids...Has 4 small incisions on either side of my belly button and a cut in my belly button with 3 stitches...Doing well...Still having some major gas pains...ughhhhhhhh...I was lucky no sickness from the anethesia and was able to be released a day early...Now its trying not to overdue it...This surgery was definitly a good choice for me and I'm glad my Dr. was able to do it laproscopically(sp?)

Just remember to rest rest rest and drink water till it comes outta your ears!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2005, 12:00 PM

Little over a week - LSH on 8 Mar, uterus only. Bless you, my time doesn't sound as bad as yours and I am still having a pity-party over it! Maybe I am just bored and realizing that I won't be running a 10-miler next week ;-)
Headed to follow-up with dr now - I also had the bladder sling which at this point is causing me more concern than anything. Will hopefully have a peice of mind afterwards, though if he tells me this is the 'way it is supposed to be, look and feel' I am going to be crying again and freaking out. And even though I don't have to have any replacement hormone stuff, I feel as though I am out of whack and crying at inappropriate times. I feel guilty with my pity party when there are so many other people that are in more pain are have a harder recovery.
Thank you for sharing.

JackieKat
Unread 03-17-2005, 12:22 PM

Hi LeaTgal,

After having my staples out on Tue. I was told to wait another week to drive. I am ceratinly in no hurry at this point!! Believe it or not my husband had surgery in Jan. (prostate cancer) and he extended his recovery time to take care of me for a few weeks so I have no need to drive, he is home and available. I also have a teenage son on a permit plus my daughter who was home for my surgery on her spring break from college. (poor kid-what a way to spend spring break!!)

I do not work outside the house. I do teach decorative painting classes out of my home studio and I have cancelled classes for a month with the understanding that I might extend that. My classes are only 3 hours and I only teach a couple a week, so I'll see how things go.

The one thing I forgot to mention in my original post is that I am having trouble sleeping. I have not taken a single nap during the day but still can't sleep at night. Anyone else relate to this?

BarbNJ
Unread 03-17-2005, 01:54 PM

Hi!

I had my surgery on March 7th and am recovering much better than I expected. I had a TAH including ovaries and because it was cancer surgery I had what is called a radical hysterectomy which meant my lymph nodes, supporting ligaments and other supporting tissues were also removed. My bladder was also torn and repaired during surgery. That resulted a lot of blood loss and like Barb I almost needed a transfusion too but managed to get my counts up. I was actually released a day ahead of schedule.

I'm also a couple of days further out than the rest of you and can say that I've definitely been feeling better the past couple of day. (It's also helped that I've now lost almost all of the 15 lbs of water weight I gained during surgery -- belly's still swelly but not like it was. ) I've given up the Percocet because I can't stand to have my bowels slowed down (even though they are still working a bit slowly) and I'm finding that the 800 mg Ibuprofen once or twice a day is working just fine. My biggest complaint right now is my foley catheter -- due to the combination of the radical surgery and the bladder tear I need to have it for at least 14 days (Mar 21st). It leaked like crazy for 3 days this week even though I had it replaced but that problem seems to have resolved itself today so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it won't come back. And I'm really hoping I can pee by myself on Monday and get it removed.

And best of all -- my pathology was clear. I was having a bad day with the leaky catheter, sore incision and gas pains on Tuesday and then the doc called with that good news and all of a sudden I felt much better.

Right now I am just getting antsy to get moving again. I know that I will need to be careful not to overdue because that will be my tendency although I told everyone at work I would be out at least 6 weeks and I plan to stay out that long. I'll probably do some stuff from home but won't even try the office until 6 weeks is up and maybe even longer if I don't feel I have enough energy to be at the office and still be worth something to my family (DH and 2 DS's) at night. Poor DH is doing everything right now -- he's going to need a rest too!

Hang in there all -- it's only going to get better from here.
Unread 03-17-2005, 02:13 PM

Hello. I am 6 days post-op. I had a TAH. I'm 34 years old and still in shock so to speak. Although it was a planned surgery and I had weeks to prepare I don't think I was ready.
I haven't had any complications only unexpected suprises that I should have been advised of or better prepared for.

All and all the Dr. says I'm doing well. From the messages I've read on this site as well as the internet I have to agree that I am doing well, whether or not I feel it is another issue.

I have very little tenderness from my incision but still need the pain pills off and on through out the day and always through out the night.

I can finally go to the bathroom without crying which was a huge plus for me!

Every passing day I feel better and better and try to remain optimistic about my recovery even through I am a little over emotional right now.

I think all and all it's not too bad. Some woman experience an array of serious complications and I am just breezing through my days with the help of pain pills, fresh friut, and the style network channel. lol

More so than anything else I still have tons of fears and stress about my recovery and due to my over-emotional state I am in need of comfort and support. Physically I believe I'm going to be fine.

Lots of love and luck to everyone who is recovering right now.

K
Unread 03-17-2005, 02:41 PM

I had a TVH including bladder sling,rectocele,cystocele, and entrocele repair. It feels like I had a 20lb baby but mostly from the stitches when I sit. The best position is lying down. Had catherter for two days but left hospital without it. THat is what I didn't want to take home. Constipation was a big worry with all the repair but besides plenty of water I take 4 dried apricots each morning and a stool softner and it really works! Husband retired, I am 59 and had 7 children with two still home so they do all the work. I still keep my pj's on to remember not to do anything. It is so easy to forget and lift something or move the furniture. My internist had this surgery and told me she got up and did too much and her bladder repair fell down even though they used some kind of screws. I've noticed some insomnia but probably cause I am not active enough just reading and walking around the house. I was in the middle of wallpapering when it was scheduled and it is hard to look at a half-finished stairway!! Only take a darvocet now at night so I wouldn't know I even had this except for gas pains and sitting. I am really happy I finally did this as I was supposed to last year. Mary
Unread 03-17-2005, 02:48 PM

I had a tah including one tube and ovary on 3/9. My main complaint right now is the sore muscles on my sides, especially left side. Not even near my incision! Dr. is supposed to be returning a phone call sometime today. Also had a tough night as I do not work outside of home and my 9yo ds was vomiting during the night and I couldn't do anything. His room is upstairs and twice he didn't make it to the bathroom, so DH had to comfort son and clean up. I'm the one that has always done than because DH has to get up and go to work. Felt really guilty!

I just found this site yesterday, and I am SO glad I did. Has already helped me and DH with some issues. Thanks to all who post and best wished for quick healing!
Unread 03-17-2005, 03:21 PM

dear normaljeans,

I have to say that one thing I have been the most concerned about is pain in my left side. I've spoken with the dr and he assures me that it's normal. I've been stressed about it as after my last surgery two years ago ( removal of adhesions, dnc) I developed a pelvic absess in my left side.

I've spoken with several nurses about this left side pain and they too assure me it's normal. Even when I cough it seems the left side is the side I feel the pain the most.

I don't have any answers but I wanted you to know that you are not alone with the left side pain. Keep on your dr until you feel comfortable with the answer.

Warm wishes to you.
Kim

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register