How many clots are too many? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How many clots are too many? How many clots are too many?

Unread 03-13-2006, 08:15 AM
How many clots are too many?

OK..just a poll here. I have been reading about all of us that pass (sorry this is so gross but you know what I mean) these horrible clots. It seems so abnormal but apparently it is normal for quite a few of us. Anyway, I'd like to put it in perspective, I guess. What's the worst "clot story" you have? (I can't believe I just asked that question-how gross) I know this should fall under the TMI rule, but I really would like to know how normal my abnormal is
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2006, 08:19 AM

My worst clot was a hand size chunk of what looked like my liver that literally fell out of me in Wal-mart. I stopped in my tracks!

This was just after I had given birth and ended up having an emergency D&C for retained placenta and a bad uterine infection. When Aunt Flo comes, I usually just have many, many tiny clots. Occasionally one the size of a quarter. I have been lucky that way.
Unread 03-13-2006, 08:46 AM

The worst I had was when I was a teenager of about 15 years old. I had been bleeding, bleeding, bleeding and they couldn't find out why. I stood up and passed a huge clot and passed out........ My father carried me to the ER and they discovered I had multiple ovarian cysts that kept rupturing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2006, 08:46 AM

When my period is at its worst, I can feel the clots passing, regardless of my tampon....And this is really TMI, but when I take the tampon out, there is often a clump of them stuck on the end. When I change my pad/tampon combo every 30-45 minutes, I find that I am covered in blood, thighs, fingers, parts of my hand. Its awful, it looks like I just finished stabbing someone.

I find the clots more bothersome than the pain, because I am so grossed out by them. It isn't normal, and so many of us have to accept it because that is our reality.

Thats my take on it.
T.
Unread 03-13-2006, 09:00 AM

I've had quite a few over the past couple of years. The ones that sent me running to the doc were bigger than my hand and couldn't be absorbed by anything I tried. I covered the floor with newspaper and tried to scoop them into the toilet. Too gross. I've had them fall out onto my shoes as I tried to sit on the toilet. This kind of stuff would go on for 2-3 days of a 8-10 day period.

I'm on shot #2 of Lupron and hope to get the anemia under control and make some surgery choices.
Unread 03-13-2006, 09:07 AM

I agree with the others. It is totally gross, but our reality.
First comes the pain, the ripping inside of us...I feel it coming and I know, next will be the clots passing. I hate it so much.
My clots actually will push the tampon out. It sort of explodes out of me with a force from the clot pushing it out. Then the heavy bleeding comes after the clots. You know, if I would just bleed normally, I would be able to stand this more, but this clotting, which feels like chunks of my body rotting and falling off, or pieces of my uterus dropping out.
The largest one I had was just last week, it one of my more bothersome spells of every 20 mins in bathroom, The clot that fell out of me was about the size of my fist. I was so shocked and scared, that I actually called my hubby in to look at it so I could have verification of what I was seeing to tell the dr.
No woman should have to live this way. I controls my life. I rarely leave my house for fear of a "clot attack" in the stores or anywhere!!
I'm so glad to see others talk about this, because you feel so alone and so weird for having this abnormality.
to all of you who suffer like I do....there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it is called Hysterectomy!! YEAH!
Unread 03-13-2006, 09:36 AM

Mine can be as large as a extra super used tampon, and would bypass the tampon with a sudden gush of blood flow too. The meds stopped that, but now, some years later, it is all happening again the first two days...not as large clots, but still, once the meds fail, it's time to "git 'er done".

Just going through that some times, I would leave the restroom feeling like my energy was literally just going down the pan, and I would come out so weak and pale, thinking my legs would collapse from underneath me.
Unread 03-13-2006, 09:40 AM

Tamque, you sound exactly like me!!! Also Not-2-Brave, my co-worker who I just read this thread to, said she has also had clots fall out on the floor. It's amazing what we can deal with when it becomes our "norm".
Unread 03-13-2006, 09:42 AM

I would have to say my worse came about 1996. I started my period and two weeks later still on the thing. The first 10 days wasn't really bad just very heavy, but it progressively got worse. I finally called my DR at the time after week 3. At the DRs visit he did a pelvic and while just up there the clots were just basically falling out of my(sorry about the visual) He put me on bed rest, that didn't help. It continued for 54 days later still bleeding and clotting. The Dr had to do an in office suction type D&C and it was so bad had to change to a larger tube during the procedure. With that and some more bedrest and (I think it was called)Prevera tablets. It finally stopped. That has to be the worse I had ever seen for me anyways, I think the largest had to be about the size of my fist. I was having to go to the bathroom every 15 minutes to change everything. I was waiting tables at the time and this was not fun at all.
Unread 03-13-2006, 10:05 AM

I had clots that would either surpass a tampon or push it out, too. It was awful, and they just didn't stop. They ranged in sizes from very small to a few as big as my fist. Most were about golf ball sized. One of my worst case scenerios was when I was a driving range with my husband and son. I went to get out of the truck, and the blood gushed. I made it into the restroom and the clots were so large they made plopping noises when they hit the water. I was covered in blood nearly to my knees. Fortunately, we keep a blanket in the truck so I put that on the seat and waited until they were done hitting balls. That was my choice, BTW, as they were ready to just leave.

But, ladies, you are almost done with clotting and having to accept it as your reality. I know it's one thing I definitely won't miss.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register