Upcoming hysterectomy 2/9: Stupid thing to be upset about? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 2/9: Stupid thing to be upset about? Upcoming hysterectomy 2/9: Stupid thing to be upset about?

Unread 02-06-2017, 07:47 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 2/9: Stupid thing to be upset about?

I am scheduled for a LAVH on 2/9. From what I understand I will be staying overnight on the Mom/Baby OB unit after my surgery since those nurses are used to all things girl related. I am absolutely devestated at not being able to have more kids and the thought of walking by the nursery or listening to newborns cry has me tearing up as I type. Obviously I am thrilled for all those new little blessings and their parents. I feel selfish, but this stupid little thing just has me bummed out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2017, 08:25 AM
Re: Stupid thing to be upset about?

I don't think it's a stupid thing to be bummed out about at all. When I went in for my hysterectomy the nurse I had was pregnant. I told my husband at the time that it's a good thing I'm ok with the surgery and the two kids I have because I could see some women being bothered by having a pregnant nurse. I swear the hospital must have been bugged or something because after I said that to my husband I never saw that nurse again! I don't know how big the hospital is that you're going to be at but is it possible that you'll be far enough away from the nursery to not hear the babies crying? Or maybe you can bring a white noise machine to drown it out?
Unread 02-06-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfctdrm View Post
I don't think it's a stupid thing to be bummed out about at all. When I went in for my hysterectomy the nurse I had was pregnant. I told my husband at the time that it's a good thing I'm ok with the surgery and the two kids I have because I could see some women being bothered by having a pregnant nurse. I swear the hospital must have been bugged or something because after I said that to my husband I never saw that nurse again! I don't know how big the hospital is that you're going to be at but is it possible that you'll be far enough away from the nursery to not hear the babies crying? Or maybe you can bring a white noise machine to drown it out?
The white noise machine is a great idea! It is a super small hospital-maybe 3 LDR rooms and 8 regular rooms on that floor if I remember correctly from when I was there for my kids. Thanks for the tip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2017, 08:53 AM

You're welcome. I've actually been looking into them myself for a trip we are taking in April. I don't sleep well without a fan on and I refuse to lug a fan through a hotel! lol Anyway I found some white noise machines for around $50.
Unread 02-06-2017, 10:58 AM

I don't think that's stupid at all!

I loaded up my ipod with audiobooks that I have already listened to before and packed it with my comfy earbuds that sort of block sound. I was really happy to have that at the hospital. I was soooooo sleepy during the day after my surgery and it was nice to drift in and out of sleep with something familiar that I didn't feel obligated to pay any attention to.

My roommate at the hospital had pneumonia. I was concerned about that. We were separated by a curtain but shared a bathroom. I am really healthy and I know bacterial pneumonia is actually not that contagious but still. Ugh.

Her coughing didn't even keep me awake. I had an eye mask and my ipod and my pain medication and I was fine. The nurses wake you up every hour to take your vitals, I would have a nice chat with them and go right back to sleep. You don't see too many other people, depending on how the hospital is set up I guess.
Unread 02-06-2017, 11:55 AM

There are also white noise apps you can download for free on a smart phone.

I'm sorry you are having to be put in this situation. I hope you are able to make it through your recovery at the hospital without too much trouble. You might want to mention this to your doctor so that they can make this as easy on you as possible. Emotional recovery is just as important as your physical recovery.
Unread 02-06-2017, 12:15 PM

In recovery, they asked me if it was ok. I didn't mind, and there were definitely some positives. Rooms were bigger, and they tried not to double up people up in rooms. When I went in the room, the other person was being discharged, when I was being discharged, another woman was being brought in. Also the nurses were not super busy, so they were in and out a LOT which was helpful if I wanted something.
Unread 02-06-2017, 12:33 PM

Dear Shae098, I'm so sorry you are being put in that situation. I hope that your recovery in the hospital goes well. Take Care!
Unread 02-07-2017, 07:33 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 2/9: Stupid thing to be upset about?

Thank you girls for your replies. I agree that the rooms are much better equipped! I am focusing on the positive of getting good care. Today it doesn't bother me as much as yesterday. I have been on an emotional roller coaster lol.
Unread 02-07-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shae098 View Post
I am scheduled for a LAVH on 2/9. From what I understand I will be staying overnight on the Mom/Baby OB unit after my surgery since those nurses are used to all things girl related. I am absolutely devestated at not being able to have more kids and the thought of walking by the nursery or listening to newborns cry has me tearing up as I type. Obviously I am thrilled for all those new little blessings and their parents. I feel selfish, but this stupid little thing just has me bummed out.

When I went for my pre surgical testing the hospital asked me if I would be willing to have a room on the mother baby floor...they were very sensitive to the fact that it might be uncomfortable. Are you sure this is the hospital policy? I would voice your concerns as soon as you arrive.
Best wishes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register