I am due for Hystro on Fri. Feb.21st and scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am due for Hystro on Fri. Feb.21st and scared I am due for Hystro on Fri. Feb.21st and scared

Unread 02-17-2003, 09:32 PM
I am due for Hystro on Fri. Feb.21st and scared

I am 30 and a mother to 18 month old twin boys who were born through IVF I carried them to 29 weeks gestation. We also have a 8 year old daughter. My body hasn't been the same since I had my twins by C-section. I finally went to my Dr.'s in late Dec and had a pap done. I forgot to go in Sept as I usually do. Anyways I also had a 2 1/2 hour ultrasound that was supppose to be only20 mins. I got a call to come to Dr.'s office and there I was told that I needed a hystro to probably save my life. They wanted to schedule me for Jan. 27th I refused as one of my sons had just undergone his own major surgery at the very end of Dec. I felt I was needed at home more then being in a hospital and then at home on bed rest.

My major question is HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO RECOVER???? I had my twins at 2:00pm by c-section and was up on my own feet pushing my own IV pole going to the NICU by 5pm the same day. I would like to know if recovery time is about the same or not.

I don't want to have this surgery and think that I am losing my ability to be a woman. We wanted more children at least one more using our frozen embryo's. Now that is not going to happen. My husband doesn't live near us right now as he is army and is stationed elsewhere. He will be here 5 days after my surgery and will be staying for 29 days after. My mother in law will fly in the night before my surgery to help out the first week. Thank Goodness I love my mother in law. LOL
I just need to know if I will be able to lift my twins by Mar.25th when my husband is gone. They are 25 and 27 lbs. One walks the other one does not yet.

Thank you for letting me talk and any advice would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2003, 09:49 PM

Welcome to this site,

I'm glad you found us! So sorry about your needing a hysterectomy right away. I'm glad you have children,already,but you will definitely need help caring for them. The recovery for a hysterectomy is alot different than for a c-section, because they remove organs, resect ligaments, do alot of internal work and repairs. It's a longer surgery, and recovery will most likely take a bit longer. You won't be able to lift much for awhile, so you don't strain any muscles or pull any sutures loose (so many internal sutures you wouldn't believe it!). I'm glad your mother-in-law will come out to help, as well as your husband. Use all the help you can get - you'll need it. Please come often to post and let us know how you're doing. We also have a fun chat room, too. Also, there's the hormone jungle thread, should you need any information that way (especially if they remove your ovaries). Everyone recovers at a different rate, but don't expect too much too soon. Write down all your questions to ask your doctor ahead of time, so you'll know what to expect. God bless, be praying for you.
DebraDeeH

this is my opinion;always get medical advice from a doctor
Unread 02-18-2003, 02:19 AM

wow dancer- you have your hands full.....
I had a TAH (incession) not vaginally and it took me 7 wks to recover- remember everyone is different for recovery time.
Even after 7 weeks i still got tired very easy.
I am glad you will have MIL to help until dh gets home.
The main thing is YOU CAN NOT LIFT ANYTHING. Well my doc said nothing weighing more than a gallon of milk.
And If you are a GOOD PRINCESS, it may help your recovery time.

Good Luck and keep us informed.
runabout
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2003, 10:36 AM

I to am in on Feb 21! My loving prayers are being sent to wrap around you! (((((((MUCH CARING )))))))) Maybe MIL will come back if you still need help! May all go well and may you heal quickly. Blessings upon your little ones to be most well behaved and cooperative as you heal so you do not have worries and health concerns with them. Hope you one little guy is doing well since his surgery (((((HUGS)))))). May you heal body mind and soul - this is not an easy go for you. I have 4 DS's but find myself grieving the miscarriages I had. May the sweet faces of your 3 heal the pain and disappointment you are feeling - may God bless you and make you well and whole - you are a woman and losing a very important piece of anatomy - but you will be no less a woman! May you be made stronger and more confindante with the precious woman you truly are. My love and support lifted high ~ Lion
Unread 02-18-2003, 01:01 PM

HI!
As Lion said, you will be no less of a woman! We are so much more than just baby-making anatomy! I can sympathize with your dissapointment, however. I have a 9 year-old DD that was born at 26 weeks at 1lb.7 oz. I have spent years of procedures, etc. trying to have another, but that wasn't God's plan for me. It takes time to come to terms with that. There is a good forum here...aching hearts. You may want to check it out.
I'm glad you had a successful IVF, with two fantastic results, and I hope your little one is doing good! I had a TAH/BSO and was mowing my lawns at 5 weeks (big time princess no-no) but I felt pretty good at about 3 or 4 weeks. ALTHOUGH...you should NOT pick up anything over 10 lbs. for the first 6 weeks. I'm sure your doc will tell you that. Maybe your other little guy will be walking by then? If they can climb onto the couch, you can snuggle with them there, or even picnic-style on the floor with blankets (although getting up and down off the floor must be done carefully!) Thank goodness you will have your MIL and DH there for about the first 5 weeks of recovery. You might be amazed at how creative you get in order to compromise! I can now pick up almost anything off the floor with my toes

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers!

p.s. My 9 yo was a TREMENDOUS help to me, very sympathetic, and she usually lets me do everything

Lynn
Unread 02-18-2003, 11:10 PM

Just Remember,

What makes you a special woman is what is inside of you -you heart, spirit and soul, not the physical parts of you! You are facing so much right now and seem so brave - I really admire that about you. You'll get tons of support from this website, as I have. I'm so glad you've had luck with ivf and were blessed with children from that. I went through infertility problems as well, had several surgeries (laps) and had no luck, but God blessed us with a daughter through adoption (she was one when we got her, she's now almost 16). Life throws us many curves, we just have to do the best we can. Our families, friends, faith is what carries us all through. You'll do fine. Just take all the time you need to recover and use the help offerred you. I'll be saying lots of prayers for you, sweet lady. God bless you.
DebraDeeH
Unread 02-19-2003, 08:47 AM

I am another one for Friday Feb. 21. I am 29 years old and have two wonderful DS. I can understand you wanting to be well enough to take care of them, but it is better to take the time that you need now to heal then risk damaging something by doing to much and healing take longer. I am so sorry that you are having to go through this especially when you want another child. Just know that you are blessed with three wonderful children and enjoy your pain free life as you enjoy them. My thoughts and prayers will be with you on Friday and after while you recover. Please let us know how you are doing. We may not be able to help physically, but we can be there emotionally for you. Come and join us in the Chat room. We laugh and cry a lot. Both good for the soul. When one has a problem, we dive in to help her. Cyber Friends are the best ((((LION)))). It's amazing the women that you meet here and feel like you have known them your entire life. We are all here for you.

((((((((dancer)))))))))
Unread 02-19-2003, 09:19 AM

hi and good luck on friday. i had my surgery last march and i had a 15 month old who could walk a little with help at that time. if you are having a vaginal hyst you should be ok by the march date to lift. i was very unlucky and had no help at all during the day. when i came home from the hospital it was easter sunday and my husband was with me and then on monday he went to work and i had no help at all, and i could have used some especially the first week, i didn't have anyone to even call me to see if i were ok except my husband. it wasn't too bad though, going up and down stairs were bad and i tried to have my 15 month old come to me when she needed changing and i had her crawl herself up into her highchair which was adjustable, so that wasn't too bad, but you will be better off with help for a while and sleep as much as you can because i still feel very tired most of the time

sincerely, good luck i am sure you will do fine
Unread 02-19-2003, 09:40 AM

Allaire,
Please, please, please...do not overdo. There's every chance you won't be up to lifting your children, and if you try and have a problem, it could set you back. Do you have any other family members who might be able to spend time with you once your MIL has to leave? Close friends? Please take advantage of every offer of help. I know we're all Wonder Women, but sometimes we have to accept our limitations. Frustrating, isn't it?
Don't be scared of the surgery itself. As everyone here says, the waiting is the worst part. Now that I'm 3 weeks post-op, I have to say it's so true. Be a good Princess...follow the guidelines for a quick recovery.
Allaire, you are no less a woman for having this surgery. Your spirit shines through you at all times. It's our hearts and souls and love that make us wonderful women..not an organ or two that we contain or don't contain. Please remember that.
s
HollyG

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register