Still bleeding/spotting after sex - is this normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Still bleeding/spotting after sex - is this normal? Still bleeding/spotting after sex - is this normal?

Unread 10-17-2007, 01:23 PM
Still bleeding/spotting after sex - is this normal?

I am still bleeding/spoting after sex at 10 weeks post op, is this normal?
Surgeons nurse seemed to think so a week or so ago.

(She said what do you expect when you have something bumping into the incision on vaginal cuff....)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2007, 02:31 PM

Hi (((casey06)))
I'm wondering if she asked the dr? I'm NOT a dr but I don't think it sounds normal. I guess if the dr has looked and knows what's causing it and that it's ok for you to continue to have sex and just wait and see that might be ok. Sometimes there is light bleeding or spotting that the dr will say is ok because he/she knows what the cause is and that it should clear up with a little more time.

Normally, the majority of women are examined and then released because the dr feels they are healed sufficiently for the cuff not to bleed everytime it is hit. It just seems a little presumptuous for her to tell you it's normal.

Often there is granulation that needs to be treated and isn't going to stop bleeding until it is treated. If your dr hasn't checked you out I would suggest you call and ask to be seen.
I hope it's no big deal and it probalby isn't. Let us know what you find out.
's, Rita
Unread 10-17-2007, 03:16 PM

Well my **** doctor never did an exam! And when I asked how he new if my insides were healing ok (not just for sex), He said let me look at your abdominal incision...and said, your insides are healng the same.

This is from a gyn/onc surgeon, chair of the gyn/onc department at a local med school!

Should I have my PCP or another Ob?GYN do follow-up, because he apparently doesn't see a need (after major abdominal surgery).

OK, your're right...I am just a little honkerblonked off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2007, 03:29 PM

I would have it looked at by a competent and knowledgeable doctor. And...in the mean time no more sex until you are cleared that all is healed ok. Good luck.
Unread 10-17-2007, 03:29 PM

(((casey)))
Drat, I see. There are some doctors who do that- no exam. It seems irresponsible to me too. I would probably go to another dr myself and ask to be checked. Whoever you feel comfortable with is probably ok, although there could be benefits to seeing a gyn. I just think they naturally might know best because of their experience with that part of our anatomy.

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this aggravation. I hope you can get in to see someone soon. If you mention you have the bleeding problem it might get you in a little quicker. I would hold off on the sex until you can get checked. Let us know what you find out.
's, Rita
Unread 10-18-2007, 06:51 PM

Went to new OC today and she was great. Did my first exam (external or anything) since surgery and said vaginal cuff not healing, so applied silver nitrate? (I think). So that explains the bleeding!
How hard was that. Took 2 seconds and I didn't fel a thing.

I asked why my surgeon hadn't done an internal an dcut me loose at 1.5 weks and she just rollered her eyeds and said evry doctor is different.
(She apparantly didn't want to comment on a peer).

She also reviewed path and surgery and explained everything and wants more follow-up.
I am glad I decided to have a second opinion.

Thanks all.
Unread 10-18-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey06
Went to new GO today and she was great. Did my first exam (external or anything) since surgery and said vaginal cuff not healing, so applied silver nitrate? (I think). So that explains the bleeding!
How hard was that. Took 2 seconds and I didn't feel a thing.

I asked why my surgeon hadn't done an internal and then cut me loose at 1.5 weeks and she just rollered her eyes and said evry doctor is different.
(She apparently didn't want to comment on a peer).

She also reviewed path and surgery and explained everything and wants more follow-up.
I am glad I decided to have a second opinion.

Thanks all.
Fixed typos
Unread 10-18-2007, 09:31 PM

Hi Casey,

Glad to hear you found a good doctor, one willing to listen and take a look, so to speak. I had a granulation problem too at 9 weeks and went back to my doctor who immediately knew what was going on the did the silver nitrate thing. I went back a week later and got the all clear, everything is fine now, no more bleeding after sex or anytime. Thank goodness. : )
Unread 10-19-2007, 05:45 AM

Glad you found a solution. I am about 14 weeks out w/ pain and bleeding w/ sex and my dr sounds like your first....
Unread 03-23-2008, 02:37 PM

confused: HELLLP ME GIRLS, I'M FREAKING OUT! I HAD MY SURGERY ON NOV. 19TH EVERYTHING WENT WELL (SHE SAID). IT SEEMED LIKE I BLED FOR TOO LONG BUT THEY KEPT TELLING ME IT WAS OK AND NORMAL. WENT IN FOR MY 6 WEEK CHECK UP AND SHE SAID I WASN'T HEALED TOTALLY AND PUT ON SOME SILVERNYTRATE, TOLD ME I COULD HAVE SEX IN 2 WEEKS SO THAT WAS A TOTAL OF 2 MONTHS WITH NO SEX! SOOO IT'S BEEN 4 MONTHS I NOW HATE SEX IT'S VERY PAINFUL NO MATTER HOW MUCH LUBE WE USE OR HOW HE APPLIES IT (HE'LL EVEN PUT IT ON HIS FINGERS AND INSERT IT) NOTHING TAKES THE PAIN AWAY AND I BLEED NO MATTER HOW GENTLE HE IS. WE'VE ONLY HAD SEX ABOUT 4 TIMES AND EVERY TIME IT FEELS LIKE MY HYMEN IS BEING BROKEN. DOES ANYONE ELSE FEEL THIS WAY. I WAS A HUGE SEX MONGER BEFORE THIS AND I HAD THE SURGERY BECAUSE I WANTED MY SEX LIFE BACK! THAT'S A JOKE, I COULD CARE LESS ABOUT IT NOW.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register