I just found out I have fibroids | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I just found out I have fibroids I just found out I have fibroids

Unread 01-08-2009, 11:26 AM
I just found out I have fibroids

Hi there
I am out by Gibbons Alberta. I just found out I have fibroids ( confirmed with ultrasound) and briefly talked to my GP about my options. I have an appt in a weeks time with my OBGYN in Edmonton. I hope to get some answers to my many questions.
Right now... I feel like if a hysterectomy is an option I would take it. I would rather go to the source of my problems, get rid of it...and be done. That said...I also fear that I could open a can of worms.
After reading many posts I am thinking my symtoms are not that bad. I have a very clotty period. I usually have 1-2 days where I pass clots. On these days I have enough pain that I take pain killers.

Do the Drs make you wait until you are having more severe symtoms? I guess I will find out these answers soon enough. But I am filled with questions and concerns.
I just dont want to have this in my body growing..and getting bigger and causing more problems. That said I am scared.
Not sure what to think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2009, 01:19 PM

Hi Lavendorlilly,

I had my total abdominal hysterectomy over 3 years ago now, and was told the pelvic pain was due to a large fibroid. Well I had the fibroid removed but it did nothing to help the pain, so obviously that wasn't causing it. The doctors have no idea what it is, so I learn to live with it, it comes and goes.

However I am glad I had the surgery as it turned out I was precancerous and I would never have known had I not had it done. My gyno. said I would have had cancer within a year had I not had the hysto!

Good luck in your decision. You definitely need to discuss your concerns with the doctor and write any questions down before you see the doctor.
Unread 01-08-2009, 05:51 PM

I have had fibroids for many years now. Lived with them with no problem for the most part. I have had to be on birth control to control my periods, otherwise I would have horrible periods longer than normal and heavier than normal. As the fibroids have grown, periods are uncomfortable. I feel bloated all the time. I am having surgery Jan. 26 to remove the uterus. Not because of the discomfort but because they have grown so large they press on my bladder. My uterus is expanded to the same size of a 10-12 week pregnant uterus. If they get too large other organs could be impacted. Talk to your doctor about whether he or she thinks you need to explore removal. If they are small and few in number, you may not need to do anything right now but have regular checkups. There are many options other than hysterectomy where the fibroids blood supply is targeted and one of them might be right for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2009, 07:21 PM

Hello Lavendorlilly,

I'm from Canada as well. Please do not rush into a hysterectomy because your fibroids are symptomatic. Whether you seek treatment really depends on how they symptoms from your fibroids are affecting your quality of life. If you are bleeding heavily during your menses, and this affects your daily activities, it would make sense to seek treatment. There are many treatments for fibroids that will keep your uterus intact and that can resolve your symptoms. Hysterectomy should be the very very very last resort to treat fibroids.

Some women have had success with the mirena IUD. As long as the uterine cavity is clear of fibroids (meaning you don't have submucosal fibroids), then the Mirena IUD has a good chance of working.

A few things to know in your search for treatment...most gyns will automatically recommend hysterectomy for the treatment of fibroids because they do not value a women's uterus outside of childbearing. Your uterus serves a function beyond childbearing and should not be removed for treatment of benign fibroids.

First off, you need to find out what type of fibroids you have, submucosal, intramural, or pedunculated. This will help you with your treatment options. You'll want to know what are the exact sizes of each fibroid as well. All of this info is important because if you have submucosal fibroids, they can be removed through an outpatient procedure called hysteroscopic resection. Removing submucosal fibroids usually resolves bleeding symptoms. If you have pedunculated fibroids, they are also easier to remove in a myomectomy than intramural fibroids.

If you are bleeding excessively during menstruation, it's also important to have an endometrial biopsy to rule out other causes of bleeding before proceeding with any treatment.

One non-invasive treatment option for you may be Uterine Artery Embolization. It is not considered surgery. Women are usually back to full activities in a week and it has a success rate of 85%. However, most gyns will misinform women about this procedure so you need to be referred to an intervention radiologist (IR) to be assessed for this procedure. Don't take your gyn's word for it. See an IR.

A myomectomy removes only the fibroids and leaves your uterus intact. Rather than lose your uterus, wouldn't you rather just remove the fibroids, resolve your symptoms, and keep your uterus? Note that the success of a myomectomy is dependant on the skill and experience of your surgeon. Some of the skilled and experienced surgeons that I am aware of have removed up to 100 fibroids and kept the uterus intact. They only use horizontal incisions and do not have problems with blood loss during surgery because of their skill. There is also laparoscopic myomectomy which only uses three or four small incisions and has a quicker recovery time. But you will need to search to find a gyn who can do these procedures without converting to hysterectomy.

Some gyns will scare you into not having a myomectomy by saying that the fibroids will grow back. This is not accurate. New fibroids can grow with either UAE or myomectomy but the rate of this is 20% if you have had one fibroid removed in a myomectomy and 30% if you have multiple fibroids. However, all of this really depends on your age. If you are closer to menopause, you may not have any regrowth or any regrowth that exhibits symptoms. Remember that these stats also mean that up to 80% of women do not have regrowth or do not have any regrowth that is symptomatic and go on happily with their lives. Isn't it worth it to investigate less invasive procedures and uterus-saving procedures before having a hysterectomy?

Some gyns will also say you can't have a myomectomy because the fibroids are too large or you will bleed too much. Don't believe them. This is a sign of their lack of skill and indeed what would happen if you chose them to do the surgery. Also, if the gyn wants to put you on lupron to "shrink" fibroids, find another gyn. This too is a sign that he/she is not skilled in removing fibroids successfully. Most skilled and experienced gyns DO NOT USE LUPRON even with very large fibroids. Lupron makes a fibroid soft and mushy making it more difficult to remove during surgery. Seek out a second and third opinion until you find the right gyn. This is especially important in Canada because there are wait times to see gynecologists so you will want to move fast on second or third opinions.

In Canada, some gyns seem to take offense when you ask them about their skill and experience and question their recommendations, probably because we don't pay for medical care here and so we're not supposed to be "shopping" for the best surgeon we can find. Remember to be strong. This is your body and you need to make educated decisions about anyone and any treatment in relation to your body.

Best of luck to you.
Unread 01-08-2009, 08:09 PM

HI!
Just offering you a tidbit of suggestions for your fibroids. I had severe painful periods to the point of wanting the uterus to just get out of me, thought the hyst would solve all my problems..BUT I ended up in severe pain for 5 years!! I've heard that you can supplement w progesterone and help it. Had I known what I know now, I wouldn't have had a hyst. Estrogen dominance can also increase fibrous tissue. My suggestion is to get your hormone levels measured to see if that could be the case, Also I think they can ablate the fibroids instead of cutting out your uterus..my biggest mistake in getting the hyst was not having my hormone levels monitored before the hyst was ever a thought. Once you have the hyst, it's the pitts trying to figure out what HRT to take to make you feel normal again, and if you know what is "your" normal, IF you do need a hyst, you'll have a much easier time of it. I'm 8 years post hyst, had a uterus the size of a 4 month old, full of fibroids and sorry I ever had the hyst. Good luck to you, just wanted to give you some food for thought. I can truly relate.
Unread 01-09-2009, 07:50 AM

If they are small and not giving you debilitating pain, etc.. then you can certainly try other options for symptom management. I think most of us who have resorted to hysterectomy did so as a LAST resort. You were just diagnosed so ask about other alternatives first. I was initially diagnosed with fibroids 15 years ago. Childbirth helped, birth control pills helped, and like you I managed painful periods with medication as well as other natural resources. I don't know your age but I was quite young when mine were diagnosed and I wanted to have children. Talk with the gynecologist and make certain you are comfortable with all options. Best wishes to you! I feel your frustration and pain.
Unread 01-09-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahlee
I think most of us who have resorted to hysterectomy did so as a LAST resort.
I must say, reading women's stories on this forum and on other forums of being diagnosed with fibroids and what their gyns propose, I tend to disagree with your statement. Unfortunately, I think most gyns automatically offer hysterectomy as a first line of treatment for fibroids to women. From what I've read, persistent women often need to get 2nd and 3rd opinions before finding a gyn who will give them accurate information and offer them other less invasive treatments or uterus-saving treatments. So I'm not so sure most women have hysterectomy as a last resort. Unfortunately, I think many women actually choose hysterectomy on recommendation by their gyn as a first line of treatment. Why else would both the U.S. and Canada have astronomical hysterectomy rates as compared to other industrialized countries around the world?
Unread 01-09-2009, 10:31 AM

It is, of course, your choice, but I need to say that I had a TAH/BSO last April and have had absolutely no problems since. I had large fibroids and heavy bleeding, and I'm currently happy that I no longer bleed 8 of every 10 weeks. I'm not saying that everyone else's comments are wrong, just that a hysterectomy can be a/the right answer, too.

Chipmonk
Unread 01-09-2009, 12:51 PM

Thank you so much for you responces. From what I understand.... I have one fibroid that is 2.5 cm in diameter. My periods last about 5-7 days. 1-2 of those days I pass alot of clots. That is why I went to my Dr in the first place was to see why I was passing so many clots during my period. I had an ultrasound. With that they saw the fibroid. My ovaries looked good.
I am 36 years old. I have 2 children ages 7.5 and 5. My family is complete. I am in a happy stable marriage ( something my dr asked about).
The GYN that I am booked to see on Jan 12 2009 is the same Dr that delivered both my children. I trust him more than I would someone I have never been to.
I am going to assume that because the fibroid is small (2.5cm) and to my knowledge only one is present....that not alot will be done right away.
After reading alot on the internet....my case seems mild compared to many.
I imagine this is a journey that is just beginning.
I have read alot about removing just the fibroid...but it seems like in most cases they grow back...over and over again. That is the main reason I would lean towards the hysterectomy. Rather than suffer thru many surgeries. That said.... having one terrifies me. My concerns are ...early menopause ( if my intact ovaries were to fail) decrease in sex drive and pleasure ( I quite like sex at the moment LOL) Along with many other concerns I have read.
Again thanks for the replies.... it is good to talk to others that understand.
Unread 01-09-2009, 12:51 PM

Ammuni, do you have fibroids or any other uterine dysfunction? Please do NOT attempt to speak for me or any hystersister who has had to deal with such issues. This is a support board NOT a hysterectomy promotion board. You have absolutely no idea what my story is or why/how I came to choose hysterectomy (or how it chose me!). Please respect those of us who subscribe to this board for support and wish to support others not judge them. I don't know anyone who went to their gyn and took a hysterectomy option as a first line of treatment! Be careful with the propaganda you are putting out there. Respectfully yours....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register