Bowel Prep..ick | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel Prep..ick Bowel Prep..ick

Unread 04-28-2008, 01:26 PM
Bowel Prep..ick

Anyone else out there having to do a bowel prep day before surgery? I'm doing it now 'cause my big day is tomorrow...7:30am and I'm pretty sure my guts are clean - my stomach is burning though. I'm drinking gaterade and I have popscicles but I'M HUNGRY! I don't know what I can take for the burning tummy. I don't understand why some gals have to do it and some don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Bowel Prep..ick

Broth...and that is bout it..sorry..the stuff is nasty for sure!...
Mine was lemon flavor not that it helped it any!!...eewww....
I think it depends on what kind of surgery your having if you have to do one or not.

Good Luck to you...see you on the flip side!!
Unread 04-28-2008, 02:46 PM
Bowel Prep..ick

Oh gosh that was horrible huh? I got horrible gas from it! Even at the hospital in the morning my stomach wqas grumblng I was so afraid i was going to have a BM when the Dr wqas doing surgery. he said he wouldn't tell me if I did. It ws the first thing I said when I woke up... "Dr!.... did I poop on you?" hahaha

I had to do an enema and the magnesium drink. GROSS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Bowel Prep..ick

I'm not required to do the prep, but I'm using an herbal stool softener that my midwife gave me, and it's working well. My big day is tomorrow too!
(((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Unread 04-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Bowel Prep..ick

I actually enjoyed it! I always have constipation issues, so it was nice to get cleaned out. But I do remember thinking I couldn't make the 2 1/2 hour drive to the hospital that morning!

I was told that it helps to keep the bowels out of the way during surgery.
Unread 04-28-2008, 08:02 PM
Bowel Prep..ick

Why are some doctors telling patients that they need the bowels away and others don't? It worries me. OKAY...how bad would it be if I had 2 crackers? Just something to munch on?! Would that really make a difference in my nice clean bowels? haha? But seriously.........
Unread 04-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Bowel Prep..ick

I did my bowel prep the morning of my surgery!I had to go to the hospital around 3:30 in the morning,the hospital is 30 miles away from my home.Thank God i was the first one to have surgery that morning.They gave me a enema and a douche.I actually liked the enema,since I needed a good bowel movement anyway!Good luck with your surgery sunny423?
Unread 04-29-2008, 02:18 AM
Bowel Prep..ick

The no eating is not so much for empty bowels, but to ensure an empty stomach. The surgeon does not want you throwing up from the anesthesia ( it happens), and you don't want it either. Any food on your stomach can cause them to cancel the surgery. I have seen a doctor cancel over a cracker, the patient was so hungry they got nauseaus, and ate a saltine cracker. Doc found out, and cancelled while the patient was in pre-op. Increased hospital stay, honkerblonked-off Dr, and very upset patient. Not a good scenario.
As far as the empty bowels, yeah, it does make it easier during surgery if the bowel is empty, they are so much easier to manipulate, and less chance of perforation. Also if perforation does occur, there is less risk of infection if the bowel is empty.
Unread 04-29-2008, 07:59 AM
Bowel Prep..ick

poor sister... i had to do bowel prep too,,,eeww.
i started the day before surgery around 2 pm and i was told i could have clear liquids untill midnight.. nothing after that... my surgery was scheduled at 8am.. ask your dr if you can at least have some clear liquids... maybe some broth or jello can help ward off the hungry horrors... if your surgery is scheduled tomorrow , i would def... ask about the clear liquids...
Unread 04-29-2008, 08:30 AM
Bowel Prep..ick

I had to do an enema the night before my surgery. I was TERRIFIED - turned out that it wasn't so bad. Not that I'd want to do it on a regular basis but it really was ok. I had worked myself up for nothing. My doc actually commented after my surgery that I had done a good job with the bowel prep and that my bowels were flat and easy to manipulate. Never thought I would hear a compliment like that!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register