Not Scheduled How Soon May I Drive After an Abdom Hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How Soon May I Drive After an Abdom Hysterectomy? How Soon May I Drive After an Abdom Hysterectomy?

Unread 01-02-2011, 03:35 PM
How Soon May I Drive After an Abdom Hysterectomy?

If anyone has had an ab hysterectomy please let me know how long you waited to drive?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Re: How Soon May I Drive After an Abdom Hysterectomy?

I did not have abd but thought I would let you know my restrictions to give you an idea. Dr said no driving while I was still taking pain meds, that put me at about 2wks. Then he said before I was able to sit in a chair and QUICKLY turn my body to look behind me. Hope this helps some. I would plan on 3-4wks but know that everyone is different. Best of luck to you! I hope you have a quick and easy recovery!
Unread 01-02-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochelletoo View Post
If anyone has had an ab hysterectomy please let me know how long you waited to drive?

Thanks.
Hi, I was told to wait two weeks before driving and I have a laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy. I would imagine that you would have to wait at least that long if not a little longer because the incisions are more extensive with an ab hysterectomy. Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2011, 06:00 PM

Hi!

I had an abdominal hysterectomy and also a panniculectomy to remove some extra fat and skin. I had a hip-to-hip incision.

I waited about 3 weeks before driving. Of course, this is one of those things which varies from patient to patient -- but I just didn't feel strong enough (or "well enough" in general) to drive before that time.

Unread 01-02-2011, 06:51 PM

I had a TAH and drove a very short distance after 4 weeks. I had a very soft pillow in between the steering wheel and my tummy AND I'd been drug free for a few weeks. Mind you, I have no idea how long the 'knock-out' drug stays in your system.

I'm at 6 weeks now but I still don't want to drive for any long period i.e. an hour or more. I'm a confident driver so I'm not scared. I'm just being cautious at the moment because I suspect a major issue would be having to stop suddenly and the risk of rupturing stitches. And yes I know a short trip has the same risk of stopping suddenly but I suspect I would be more 'alert' on shorter trips.

Each to her own. I've had such a great recovery I'm not prepared to put that at risk and along with many others, we're on holiday in NZ so there's no pressure.

E
Unread 01-02-2011, 07:33 PM

I went back to work part time after 3 weeks. I had a 30 minute drive. I put a soft pillow over my ab to cushion the pressure of the seatbelt. You'll know if you're ready. Just take it slow. All the best!
Unread 01-02-2011, 09:48 PM

Figure at least 3 weeks. You must be able to stomp on the brake pedal without pain, twist to look behind you, wear a seat belt, get in and out of the car. Further, your attention will not be anywhere near normal, nor your reaction time. Frankly, for the first 3 weeks or so, you are a hazard to yourself and anyone else on the road, regardless of how good you think you feel.
Unread 01-03-2011, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danablue View Post
Figure at least 3 weeks. You must be able to stomp on the brake pedal without pain, twist to look behind you, wear a seat belt, get in and out of the car. Further, your attention will not be anywhere near normal, nor your reaction time. Frankly, for the first 3 weeks or so, you are a hazard to yourself and anyone else on the road, regardless of how good you think you feel.
Brilliant danablue!!!!!!! How straight up is that advice!!!???? Succinct and entirely accirate. I love it! I think I might have been a hazard in my own house!!!!

E
Unread 01-03-2011, 03:34 AM

Here in The Netherlands where I live, you are not allowed to drive for six weeks. This is to allow enough time for the anesthetics and painkillers to get out of your systemand to let your body heal enough to not pull any stitches if you have to make a sudden movement like slamming on the brakes.

If you do drive and something happens the insurance company could make life difficult as well.....I don't know if that is an issue where you live?
Unread 01-03-2011, 05:16 AM

Thank you for the outstanding answers. I am prepared to wait at least two weeks before driving. I am planning to ask three weeks off from work and return full time. I sit at my desk all day. I have a fifteen minute commute.

The biggest issue I have right now. I live on a third floor apartment. Can I handle the steps up and down?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register