Pain in recovery room - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain in recovery room Pain in recovery room

Unread 12-06-2015, 06:57 AM
Re: Pain in recovery room

I woke up in pain even if I was on IV morphine. I told them my pain was 6/10. They shoot something in my arm and then I was fine. They were really nice in the recovery room and in the hospital in general.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2015, 09:24 AM

My experience in recovery room was good for both surgeries. In fact, I was medicated to where I had no pain. I know some of it is what is ordered, some is how the nurse chooses to use the orders. I'm sorry for those who did not get good care. When I got to my room, I was told to get up and walk from stretcher to bed, so good thing I'd had good pain meds. My pain level was always of concern to my nurses, they were wonderful. I would suggest giving feedback to the hospital on the care received, I believe they do take it seriously.
Unread 12-07-2015, 11:50 AM

Thank your for your reply. This was the worst experience I have had in a recovery room. I have never had pain in a recovery room with any of my other operations. I have already contacted the patient representative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2015, 06:11 PM

I had my surgery in June.
When I woke up I had extreme pain but could not talk - they noticed me frowning and grimacing and asked if I had pain, so I nodded. I got some iv pain medication and next thing I got was severe nausea from it despite all preventative meds for it. I got a shot for nausea and fell asleep.
Before I got to the floor they gave me ketorolac iv because I did not want any narcotics iv due to the severe nausea I am getting with them. On the floor I took some extra strength tylenol and later on one more dose of ketorolac.
Next morning I wanted to take my last dose of ketorolac but I was told that there was none at the pharmacy due to a shortage in the hospital and I could have iv narcotics before going home - which I declined because of the nausea. I took 800 mg of Ibuprofen and got a prescription for oxycodone. Once at home I took oxycodone 5 mg perhaps 3 times in total and other than that just ibuprofen for a week. I was pain free at home and off all pain meds quickly.
Sorry that you had a horrible experience in the recovery room !!
Unread 12-07-2015, 07:18 PM

They also gave me Celebrex and Flexeril for pain. I should not have taken as I found out by looking at the side effects. I have AFIB, 1st degree heart block and have had a DVT with blood clot to lung. I never expected this to happen to me as I always have had such good care in other hospital recovery rooms. They were suppose to have a pain management person visit me before surgery but that was the one person I did not see on the morning of surgery.
Unread 12-08-2015, 08:00 AM

I was not in pain when I woke up in recovery I believe they shot me up with a pain management before leaving the OR. When they put me in my room they hooked me up to a morphine pain pump I controlled for pain management along with giving me dilaudid. This was a reputable university hospital. They were awesome from start to finish. I highly recommend the if your in the VA area.
Unread 12-08-2015, 02:24 PM

I didn't wake up in any pain......in fact I haven't had any pain at all, just a little sore.
Unread 12-14-2015, 08:10 AM
Pain in recovery room

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtand View Post
I am surely not alone in having a bad experience in the recovery room. I never gave a thought that I would be in pain in recovery and they seemed not to care. I kept thinking why are they not giving me something stronger then 1 oxycodone. I not only had a hysterectomy but a repair of a complete uterine prolapse.
I was in a lot of pain in recovery, am used to pain unfortunately in joints but this..... This was bad!
Took 2 hours to get it all under control. We will forget soon am sure Big hugs X
Unread 12-14-2015, 01:02 PM
Pain in recovery room

I had my hysterectomy on December 11,th and I was in such bad pain after surgery. They would only give me 1 5/325 percocet every 6 hours. I have other medical conditions so 1 usually doesn't do it for me. I finally asked for a Tylenol about 3am, my head was pounding, and they said they would have to page my doctor for 1 Tylenol. My doctor has babies, and the last thing I would want to do is have her paged for a freaking Tylenol. So I just suffered ND could t wait to be discharfed. I think that is absurd, everyone el deals with pain different, and it really bugs me when. You are judged when you say you are in pain. I hope you are home a d feeling g better. Hugs.
Unread 12-14-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtand View Post
On the ward I was given liquid Tylenol, 2 oxycodone in the evening a Celebrex and Flexeril. In the morning I was given 2 oxycodone when the ward manager noticed I was in pain. This hospital really let me down in the pain control. At least my surgeons were superb.
Pain control was a big let down for me too. In recovery room I was writhing in pain, apparantly so much so i got disoriented and tried to get out of bed... I heard nurses screaming "she's trying to crawl out the bed"....the next thing I remember is again writhing in pain and nurse giving me Torodol. It did not help much. They moved me to a room and as my husband describes all i kept saying was "I didn't think it would hurt this much" and I kept pressing the pain pump every three minutes. I still have no idea what was in it because I was so out of it with the pain. Eventually he got them back in to adjust the dose, they gave me a few more shots of torodol..hours apart obviously.....then.they ended up giving me a suppository of bella dona opium...eight hours into recovery..and within 2 long hours later I was finally pain free and coherent. Just reliving this is giving me hot flashes!!! (or it could be hormones lol)

Don't EVER. Want. to do THAT again!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register