hormone replacements | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hormone replacements hormone replacements

Unread 07-06-2004, 09:00 PM
hormone replacements

My doctor wants to take ovaries and cervix with the uterus. I was told by other doctors that I cant take estrogen because my mother and sister both had breast cancer. What has been suggested to those of you with the same situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2004, 10:38 PM
hormone replacements

Hi decotres My situation is slightly different, in that I had my hyst 2 years ago (including ovaries and cervix), and then earlier this year I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I had been on HRT since my surgery. I tried taking Tamoxifen and couldn't tolerate it, so I am still on HRT and taking a supplement called diindolymethane (DIM) to alter the way my body metabolizes estrogen in the hope of reducing my risk of a recurrence.

Surgical menopause is different for each of us. All we can do is weigh the pros and cons, the risks and benefits of HRT versus no HRT, and make the decision that's best for us as individuals. In my case, it's staying on HRT.

To read about how other women have coped with their symptoms without HRT, you might want to check out our No-Hormone Desert Oasis forum.

Good luck making the decision that's best for you!
s,
-Linda
Unread 07-06-2004, 11:16 PM
hormone replacements

Hi Decotres, I am in the same situation-sort of as u.They took my ovaries,cervix also and put me on hrt which I ? My drs also told me not to go on hrt if ca of the breat runs in the family as I would be a high risk.as far as I know there is no ca of breast in my family but I am not sure I want it anyways.There is other replacement for hrt without risk. pls ck it out .ypur dr. sounds right on the money...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2004, 11:34 PM
hormone replacements

Quote:
There is other replacement for hrt without risk
Actually, there is no such thing as a free lunch. Anything we do carries some risks. Going without HRT after our ovaries are removed is also quite risky for many of us... for me it induces very high blood pressure. There are other drugs which can be used to manage certain menopausal symptoms, but they all have side effects and none of them is a complete solution. They all have risks, just as HRT does for some women; the risks are just different ones. The difficulty is weighing all those relative risks and choosing our best option.

The best choice, if it's available, is to keep your own working ovaries and hope they keep on working after the surgery. If you must have a prophylactic oophorectomy, you can expect to be dealing with a host of fairly severe symptoms, and doing so without HRT can be extremely difficult... again, check out the No-Hormone Desert Oasis forum for examples.

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register